• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Paper Wallets

theplague

Hi guys.

I would like to ask for some advice which will hopefully lead to this thread helping other current and future members out with creating paper wallets.

Ok so I posted on the 'Darkcoin Ambassador Group' thread and if I'm honest I genuinely thought (yep I know you'll probably call me a dumbass) that by backing up your wallets and putting them onto an external hard drive and/or USB stick they would be safe if you unplug them after every session.

Populandum (thanks by the way :D ) has informed me that this isn't true: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/darkcoin-ambassador-group.3785/page-7#post-47608 and that paper wallets are the safest option.

If we could keep this thread constantly up-to-date then that would be great so everyone gets the most from it.

Can anyone recommend paper wallets that they use and the easiest way to set them up please?

Also a method how to access and keep them updated.

Great thanks! But looking at that page from a new user point-of-view doesn't make much sense.

So for example 'PGP', 'SHA1', 'Darkcoin Blockchain Explorer', etc?

Also in the 'Spending Your Darkcoins' would that mean that when you send your key to the Darkcoin p2p client (which I'm guessing means the Darkcoin wallet which is stored on the hard drive, USB etc) that your funds are no longer on the paper wallet but now back in your digital wallet? If so I'm guessing that would mean creating a new paper wallet. So in reality it means you're still resorting to using the digital wallet whenever you want to make or receive payments and creating new paper wallets each time so the paper wallet isn't much safer unless you plan on storing it for long periods of time.

If the device that the wallet backups are stored on are encrypted would that be just as good as a security measure along with having a password on the wallet itself? I'm just thinking of the easiest but still safest solutions for new people. To attract the masses in the short-term, protecting their Dash would be the number priority of anyone new to the currency especially if they put a lot of time and money into it. I would say that the question "Well how do I know it's safe?" is the one thing I'm asked most about Dash and every other crypto currency for that matter as people want that peace-of-mind.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just like to make sure I understand the ins-and-outs of it all before trying to explain it to people that I introduce to Dash as a lot of them don't have much technical knowledge at all but have deep pockets :)

This will also obviously now double-up as a sort of tutorial once we have everything in this thread so that people can refer to it in future.

Thanks

Great thanks! But looking at that page from a new user point-of-view doesn't make much sense.

So for example 'PGP', 'SHA1', 'Darkcoin Blockchain Explorer', etc?

Also in the 'Spending Your Darkcoins' would that mean that when you send your key to the Darkcoin p2p client (which I'm guessing means the Darkcoin wallet which is stored on the hard drive, USB etc) that your funds are no longer on the paper wallet but now back in your digital wallet? If so I'm guessing that would mean creating a new paper wallet. So in reality it means you're still resorting to using the digital wallet whenever you want to make or receive payments and creating new paper wallets each time so the paper wallet isn't much safer unless you plan on storing it for long periods of time.

If the device that the wallet backups are stored on are encrypted would that be just as good as a security measure along with having a password on the wallet itself? I'm just thinking of the easiest but still safest solutions for new people. To attract the masses in the short-term, protecting their Dash would be the number priority of anyone new to the currency especially if they put a lot of time and money into it. I would say that the question "Well how do I know it's safe?" is the one thing I'm asked most about Dash and every other crypto currency for that matter as people want that peace-of-mind.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just like to make sure I understand the ins-and-outs of it all before trying to explain it to people that I introduce to Dash as a lot of them don't have much technical knowledge at all but have deep pockets :)

This will also obviously now double-up as a sort of tutorial once we have everything in this thread so that people can refer to it in future.

Thanks
Think of paper wallet as of long-hold-and-one-time-use-only: when you import private key from paper wallet into darkcoin client that is online you "burn" your paper wallet, it's no longer as safe as it was. So you need to create new paper wallet if you'd like to store it that safe again and send change there. So what they are good for: 1) storing you own funds completely offline 2) real world faucet - make a bunch of them, drop small amounts there, print, promote.

Think of paper wallet as of long-hold-and-one-time-use-only: when you import private key from paper wallet into darkcoin client that is online you "burn" your paper wallet, it's no longer as safe as it was. So you need to create new paper wallet if you'd like to store it that safe again and send change there. So what the are good for: 1) storing you own funds completely offline 2) real world faucet - make a bunch of them, drop small amounts there, print, promote.
Ah ok that makes more sense. So with the blockchain how does that work exactly? I know I sound like a complete idiot asking this but 'blockchain explorer' means absolutely nothing to me at this point and I can imagine it would be the same for most people that are getting into digital currencies.

Thanks by the way guys for taking the time to reply and help out with this :D

The linked page does work great, but the last tab still needs to be fixed! If you put a private key (pasted from this same website) into the last tab, it says "Invalid key". I like to run this on an offline PC to generate key pairs, but I would love to check they are valid by dropping in a private key to see the public result. Does anyone know how to fix this bug?

Thanks in advance!!!!

The linked page does work great, but the last tab still needs to be fixed! If you put a private key (pasted from this same website) into the last tab, it says "Invalid key". I like to run this on an offline PC to generate key pairs, but I would love to check they are valid by dropping in a private key to see the public result. Does anyone know how to fix this bug?

Thanks in advance!!!!
yep, this needs to be fixed.... not sure who to ask... flare fernando ?
meanwhile this one should work fine https://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Darkcoin#

Who maintains http://paper.dashpay.io/ ? It looks like it needs to have the logo to be updated in all pages, plus the background graphic of the printed wallet. (see picture below - Note: No funds were put into that private key.)

By the way, this paper wallet is really neat.

I wish there was some sort of text that would printed that could be given with it that would let a person new to Dash to know what to do if it were received as a gift. Something like: Here is some Dash as a gift. Dash is digital cash. Here is how you get started... Anyone creative enough to write something like that?

paper.png

Who maintains http://paper.dashpay.io/ ? It looks like it needs to have the logo to be updated in all pages, plus the background graphic of the printed wallet. (see picture below - Note: No funds were put into that private key.)

By the way, this paper wallet is really neat.

I wish there was some sort of text that would printed that could be given with it that would let a person new to Dash to know what to do if it were received as a gift. Something like: Here is some Dash as a gift. Dash is digital cash. Here is how you get started... Anyone creative enough to write something like that?

View attachment 1231
Moved post here and also ping flare for this again :wink:

Can someone help me with my paper wallets?

Ok, I'v tried to import the priv key using "importprivkey xxxx" in a fresh wallet.

All that comes up is "invalid privkey" or something like that.

Thanks

Can someone help me with my paper wallets?

Ok, I'v tried to import the priv key using "importprivkey xxxx" in a fresh wallet.

All that comes up is "invalid privkey" or something like that.

Thanks
Make sure:
- you typed it right
- xxxx is smth like 7qz8CHQTGXHhEG3Zftam7jFATKnCEgtYL........ and not XkGbHYd3oVdK..............
- wallet is unlocked

If nothing helps: copy/paste exact error here and how exactly paper wallet was made.

Make sure:
- you typed it right
- xxxx is smth like 7qz8CHQTGXHhEG3Zftam7jFATKnCEgtYL........ and not XkGbHYd3oVdK..............
- wallet is unlocked

If nothing helps: copy/paste exact error here and how exactly paper wallet was made.

Humm, i did make a note on the wallet "bip38".

I made the wallet on here https://walletgenerator.net/?currency=Darkcoin#

Error when i send the request to importprivkey "Invalid private key encoding (code -5)"

Back