• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Beginner Mining question

tungfa

Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
i have a friend who is interested in joining DRK
by mining

he has a ton of Hardware (at his company I imagine)
and probably free electricity.

So what do i tell him ?!
Can he still Mine on "normal big and powerful computers"
or it is all about
Specific Mining Hardware ?!

(sorry for this dummy question, I have no idea about mining and just try to help out a guy)
tx

Tungfa, not done CPU mining for a long time as the yield is so low, 1 question, what graphics cards on the machines? is there any high end stuff or is it box standard, I don't suppose he works in video editing or something does he..

Tungfa, not done CPU mining for a long time as the yield is so low, 1 question, what graphics cards on the machines? is there any high end stuff or is it box standard, I don't suppose he works in video editing or something does he..

he does !
it is a pro hight end video company !!
so GPU mining ? any tips on software / pools I can point him to ??

he does !
Tungfa, look up at the top... "Darkcointalk's Pool" ! tell him to mine there.
Many people can help him with all those questions about mining...
I'm thinking of Propulsion , Ignition75 , coingun , jimbit ..
Also, if he asks on IRC, i'm sure someone there can help him too.

Disclaimer: I'm not a shill, just a guy who has spend enough time configuring mining rigs over the past two years to lose much needed sleep and stress his family relationships in the process.
If they are AMD cards, for an easy "set it and forget it" mining operation I would recommend wepaydrk.com. Its a multi-algo pool and it comes with its own proprietary mining software, it comes with pre-optimized .bin files for just about every AMD card out there. You set clocks, fan speeds and number of threads for each gpu, start it and you're good to go. I haven't checked the profit numbers recently but the last few times I did the math this site was paying more per day than I could mine in DRK directly. This mining software also uses somewhat more power than mining DRK directly, but my math was showing I was being paid ~25% more DRK/day for ~10% more power usage. YMMV, for reference I have a mix of 7790s and 270s. Although this pool likely never mines DRK directly, it does purchase DRK with its mining proceeds on a daily basis, and steady buying pressure can be nothing but a good thing.

Cheers!

he does !

Tips

1) to double speed, for AMD R9's use Wolf0's bin files pasted in and renamed to local already created bins (keeping thread concurrency and work size the same)
2) use big, well ventilated computer boxes and take all the other stuff out, such as PCI cards as they will stop air flow and cooling
3) if sgminer 5.0 is unstable (particularly on old amd GPU's) using the kernel darkcoin-mod, try x11mod found in the pre-release versions, either use the stand alone version or copy and paste the x11mod.cl into the kernel folder of current sgminer kernel folder and alter part of your config file line to "kernel" : "x11mod",

"pools" : [
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://mining.darkcointalk.org:3333",
"user" : "newworldorderbitchez.1",
"pass" : "x"
}
]
"intensity" : "18",
"device" : "0",
"vector" : "1",
"worksize" : "64",
"kernel" : "darkcoin-mod",
"thread-concurrency" : "8192",
"no-extranonce" : true,
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"gpu-threads" : "1"
}

4) install afterburner to monitor and tweak GPU's, has useful temp monitors and overclocking
[Amended]
5) install cgwatcher by Justin Milone to monitor dead,sick and no hashing activity cards, useful tool to reset mining and keep at max efficiency, has cgremote as a paid optional extra to remotely control computer mining.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159267.0

6) for AMD graphics drivers use catalyst 14.7 RC3, and for older cards and stability problems (but slower) try catalyst 13.11

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah
tx for this guys
I will send this onto the guy and we see what happens

Back