• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Title of 0.11.0.x

The title title of Version 0.11 should be Darkcoin _______ .

• Total voters

TaoOfSatoshi

Something's missing. We don't have a title for the next release, version 11 sounds boring.

So, I went to the thread where all the name suggestions were, and since coins101 seems to be sleeping, created the poll here.

No new names will be considered, people have had more than enough time to contribute.

May the best title, or "title title" :grin: win!

Last edited by a moderator:
All the variant of black color are a good names!
But if there isn't big changes in the version, the name of Onyx V4 is good.
For next versions are very good Darkcoin Core!
Or the best name for future version it will be connected at the concept of
"penumbra" , is like a "the genius is almost out of bottle"! ;)
From Dark to "Lume" ! ;) :)

Unification

* didnt even know there was a thread with name suggestions, maybe this one for the next release then

All the variant of black color are a good names!
But if there isn't big changes in the version, the name of Onyx V4 is good.
For next versions are very good Darkcoin Core!
Or the best name for future version it will be connected at the concept of
"penumbra" , is like a "the genius is almost out of bottle"! ;)
From Dark to "Lume" ! ;) :)
This is a major release! Just look at the release notes, and you will see that.

It needs to be differentiated from Onyx. Let Onyx go...

Crab Nebula
crabnebulachandra.jpg

just missing the D Darkcoin logo

call it "black hole"
from wikipedia:
"A black hole is a mathematically defined region of spacetime exhibiting such a strong gravitational pull that no imminent particle or electromagnetic radiation can escape from it."

I think Darkcoin Core seems more appropriate. And since vertoe did the work of porting and changing the major core of Darkcoin, bringing it more to be inline with Bitcoin core, he should be the person to name it.
This makes sense...well we can still see what name would have won if we had to choose one...even if it's for nothing, as the name's already been decided...

Or 'Core of Darkcoin' , Cod for short, powered by a fish, that'll distract from the name dark :grin:

I vote "Darkcoin Core",
or "0.11".
Both of these have a nice ring to them, but I think history works against them at this point. :sad:

Core is a clear reference to the switch to 9.3 Core base. Since we can presume that this will be with us until a switch is made to 10.X which is currently in testing, and that we we will want to rename future versions, I think "core" is out.

0.11 is certainly apt and descriptive. However, since we have started giving names to versions, it would be something of an anachronism to go back to naked numbers.

In view of the above, and my previous statements on the subject, I think I must still go with graphite--specifically because it isn't as "awesome" as some of the other contenders. As great as 0.11 is (and it is awesome!), it is still an early release and quite utilitarian and unpolished compared to what is yet to be revealed. Graphite was a world changing technology that had profound impact on communication in general, and education in particular (think pencils), but it is still a long way from laser engraving and 3D printing. We should save some of the cooler names for later use. :smile:

Oh, one more thing, it seems I remember we had decided to stick to mineral/atomic structural names, and hence Onyx. Is this no longer the case?:confused:

Both of these have a nice ring to them, but I think history works against them at this point. :sad:

Core is a clear reference to the switch to 9.3 Core base. Since we can presume that this will be with us until a switch is made to 10.X which is currently in testing, and that we we will want to rename future versions, I think "core" is out.

0.11 is certainly apt and descriptive. However, since we have started giving names to versions, it would be something of an anachronism to go back to naked numbers.

In view of the above, and my previous statements on the subject, I think I must still go with graphite--specifically because it isn't as "awesome" as some of the other contenders. As great as 0.11 is (and it is awesome!), it is still an early release and quite utilitarian and unpolished compared to what is yet to be revealed. Graphite was a world changing technology that had profound impact on communication in general, and education in particular (think pencils), but it is still a long way from laser engraving and 3D printing. We should save some of the cooler names for later use. :smile:

Oh, one more thing, it seems I remember we had decided to stick to mineral/atomic structural names, and hence Onyx. Is this no longer the case?:confused:
I guess you're not aware or haven't read this:
- Forked from Bitcoin v0.9.3. We are no longer based on the Litecoin source code. (Vertoe)
- Removed centralized checkpointing node / sporking code (to be implemented better in the future)
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/v0-11-0-x-testing.3401/
https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin/blob/v0.11.0.x/doc/release-notes/release-notes-0.11.0.md

Any other name than "Darkcoin Core" would be just silly.

EDIT: we've reached a milestone now that vertoe has done this, and it will open doors for merchants to adopt Darkcoin. Ever wondered why ATM machines have Bitcoin, Litecoin, and "Dogecoin" but not Darkcoin? Because Dogecoin code has forked from Bitcoin core many months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back