• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

2 master nodes on one wallet

2masternodes

I followed the guide that was posted for the onyx update but I can only get one master node working at a time. They are both linked to the same wallet but i generated different gen key for each and they are running on different virtual machines. I can only get one working at any given time.

How do I get them both working I am so ridiculously frustrated.

I followed the guide that was posted for the onyx update but I can only get one master node working at a time. They are both linked to the same wallet but i generated different gen key for each and they are running on different virtual machines. I can only get one working at any given time.

How do I get them both working I am so ridiculously frustrated.
Can you provide more specific info: what guide are you referring to? Can't remember one that was talking of starting two maternodes from one wallet... What do you mean by saying "linked to the same wallet" and "virtual machines"? What's your setup exactly?

Sorry I wrote that right before I walked into class so I was in a rush. It was this guide

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/taos-masternode-setup-guide-for-dummies.2680/

I did this twice. But apparently that doesn't work because only one master node will work at any given time

The only thing I changed was the name of the configuration file on the windows side. I didn't change it on the Linux side because I have two different remote machines, one for each masternode

Ahhh... that's ok :)
Do you have two darkcoin.conf (darkcoin1.conf and darkcoin2.conf for example) and only one wallet.dat? Is that how you want it to run? If it is I guess you can't start two masternodes that way for now (until 0.10.16.x is officially out) because when you issue "masternode start" command it will search through vins that wallet.dat contains until it finds FIRST one with 1000 DRK. Then it stops and use this vin to start masternode. So basically when you switch configs you will find the same FIRST vin again and will never proceed to second one.
To run second masternode you have to have second wallet with 1000DRK.
The best way is to create two fresh wallets and import corresponding private keys in each one to be able to start masternodes while having your original wallet just to have control over all funds you have. That's the way I did for myself actually :)

In short:
1. backup your original wallet.dat somewhere else just in case
2. open qt-wallet, go to help -> debug window -> console
3. enter "dumpprivkey YourDRKAddressThatHave1000DRKs" and save the output somewhere in txt (do this for every address you'd like to turn into masternode)
4. close qt-wallet
5. make sure you backed up wallet.dat once again :)
6. rename wallet.dat to something else (I prefer "main_wallet.dat" just to keep things clean)
7. open qt-wallet (don't forget to use correct config in -conf parameter) and let it create empty wallet (this will take a while)
7a. OMG you have 0 DRKs now! PANIC! Well, not really :)
8. go to help -> debug window -> console
9. enter "importprivkey OneOfTheWeirdOutputsYouGotInStep3"
10. you should see 1000 DRK in your balance right now (or may be you have to restart qt-wallet not sure about it)
11. issue "masternode start" just like you always did, close qt-wallet and ensure that masternode is running (that grep command in guide)
12. rename wallet.dat to say "masternodeN_wallet.dat" (N=1,2,3,4 and so on) and repeat steps 7-12 again for your next masternode (you can pass step 7a now :) )

Once you've finished you should have main_wallet.dat, masternode1_wallet.dat, masternode2_wallet.dat and so on.
You have to make copy of one of these wallets and rename this copy to wallet.dat to do different things:
to use as usual - copy "main_wallet.dat", to start/stop masternode X - copy "masternodeX_wallet.dat" (don't forget to use correct config in -conf parameter too)

NOTE: DO NOT RENAME OR DELETE WALLET.DAT WHILE QT-WALLET IS RUNNING

That's not that hard as it might look and maybe you can even script it in some way but I'm linux/macos guy and I don't know if it's possible on windows

EDIT: fixed version number 0.16 - > 0.10.16.x to avoid confusions

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thank you I'll try that when I get home and I'll say here if I have a problem.

Thanks for your help!
Hope it helps you :)
And btw, few quite important security things I missed there:
- make sure you deleted results of step 3 once you finished creating masternode wallets - private keys are critical and no one else should see them but you
- encrypt your masternode wallets - they will actually hold keys just like your main wallet. The only difference between them and the main one is that masternode wallets keep only one key per 1000 DRK but it's still too much to be stolen ;)
- you don't have to backup masternode wallets while you have your main wallet holding all your keys but it still might be a good idea anyway to save some time in case of something bad happen to you HDD

Hold up. You said it doesn't work that way until. 16 comes out, but that just happened? Would it be easier to get it working that way or to do what you just typed out?

Hold up. You said it doesn't work that way until. 16 comes out, but that just happened? Would it be easier to get it working that way or to do what you just typed out?
let me correct myself: 0.10.16.x which is in early stages and not officially out yet, and current official version is 0.10.15.16
(fixed in previous post too to avoid confusions)

Okay well I think I am just going to run one master node until 10.16 comes out (whenever that happens to be).

But other than that when I try step 3 it says that private key isn't known. I just updated my wallet, does that matter?

Edit: nvm figured it out. But will waiting for 10.16 work? Like will I just be able to rename a file and then be set up with the second one?

Okay well I think I am just going to run one master node until 10.16 comes out (whenever that happens to be).

But other than that when I try step 3 it says that private key isn't known. I just updated my wallet, does that matter?

Edit: nvm figured it out. But will waiting for 10.16 work? Like will I just be able to rename a file and then be set up with the second one?
As it is for now with 10.16 you will end up with two configs only: one darkcoin.conf for general settings and one masternode.conf for all your masternodes at once.

Do you think there will be some guide to walk me through setting it all up?
Well, not yet. Everyone is waiting for this feature to be released so there will be guide for sure :) We just have to wait till it's officially released

No, "start-many" is still in alpha state, has flaws and is undocumented.

But a blessing once its up, no doubt :wink: I actually have no problems with the way things are right now. I just have multiple folders with backups of each MN wallet + config files, and I dont mind going the little extra mile to rename main wallet, import MN wallet + conf, fire up QT, do my thing, shut down, rename main wallet back again.

Next step (now that I finally have another node) is to import the 1k addresses into the main wallet. That way, I dont need to keep copy/pasting/rename/deleting wallets.dat everytime I want to cash out. Only needed for Masternode activation really.

Back