• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to set up ec2 t1.micro Ubuntu for Masternode part 2/3

I think i have a somewhat similar problem, but i remember reading in the guides headlines that the cold-node needs to be online until the hardfork is in place...?

My problem is that i moved everything from being run as root (yeah i know), to my regular account, fixing startup scripts at the same time.. but now it seems the hotnode has lost the MN configuration.. havent had my coldnode running yet though, still at work :rolleyes:

OK, got 64 bit Ubuntu on VM after enabling VT-x. Now I am stuck again.

for some reason, darkcoind / darkcoin getinfo only runs after i sudo su - . . .
But that gave version as 91001, blocks were correct.
Then I exit su, cd ~/.darkcoin/ , and wget http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
Now, I can only run darkcoind + commands in su and still on version 91001.
When I try run darkcoind from regular user, I get :
Error: failed to read block
Error: failed to connect to best block

Any help is appreciated

I've got a quick question about step 11 (when we first launch the daemon on the remote machine and edit darkcoin.conf to contain the new unsername and generated password).

When I reboot the server and launch the daemon again (darkcoind) it gives me the same "Error" message all over again (i.e. the one:
Error: To use darkcoind, you must set a rpcpassword in the configuration file:
/home/ubuntu/.darkcoin/darkcoin.conf.......)

This threw me a bit. Why am I getting this again if I already edited darkcoin.conf so that they contained a username and password ?

EDIT: I found out what was wrong. I had accidentally created the conf file as root instead of in the ubuntu home folder. Got it in the right place now and the daemon's launching without complaints under ubuntu.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe it will be working after the fork, but my MN disappear even if my cold wallet stay online
Hi,

I have trouble with MN and cold wallet: My MN appear just for a couple of minutes and disappear on https://www.darkcoin.io/masternodes.txt and http://drk.poolhash.org/darksend.html
(Everything's fine with "hot" wallet)

I'm running the last version and both are sync with network:
$darkcoind --help
DarkCoin version v0.10.10.1-beta

darkcoin.conf from MN:
rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=200
externalip=my_external_ip
masternode=1
addnode=23.23.186.131
masternodeprivkey=my_private_key_MN_cold

darkcoin.conf from cold wallet:
rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=200
addnode=23.23.186.131
masternodeaddr=external_ip_of_MN:9999
masternodeprivkey=my_private_key_MN_cold
masternode=1

First I launch the MN with ./darkcoind
And I launch the cold wallet with ./darkcoind I wait for sync and I launch ./darkcoind masternode start "wallet_key"

The debug.log file indicate:
CDarkSendPool::RegisterAsMasterNode() - Masternode input = CTxIn(COutPoint(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 0), scriptSig=)
CDarkSendPool::EnableHotColdMasterNode() - Enabled! You may shut down the cold daemon.

My MN is directly connected on internet, and my cold wallet is connected with NAT on a private network.
When I relaunch the cold wallet, my MN appear again...

Thanks to help me, only 3 days before a big step ;-)

Hi,
Nobody for helping me?? :confused:
Thx

ec2 t2 is out
FYI:

Amazon Web Services

Dear Amazon EC2 Customer,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of Amazon EC2 T2 instances. T2 instances are a new low-cost, General Purpose instance type that are designed to provide a baseline level of CPU performance with the ability to burst above the baseline. With On-Demand Instance prices starting at $0.013 per hour ($9.50 per month), T2 instances are the lowest-cost Amazon EC2 instance option and are ideal for web servers, developer environments, and small databases.
T2 instances are for workloads that don't use the full CPU often or consistently, but occasionally need to burst to higher CPU performance. Many applications such as web servers, developer environments, and small databases don't need consistently high levels of CPU, but benefit significantly from having full access to very fast CPUs when they need them. T2 instances are engineered specifically for these use cases.

T2 instances are available in three sizes: t2.micro, t2.small, and t2.medium and work well in combination with Amazon EBS General Purpose (SSD) volumes for instance block storage.

Code:
Instance Type    vCPUs    Memory (GiB)
t2.micro    1    1
t2.small    1    2
t2.medium    2    4

T2 instances are backed by the latest Intel Xeon processors with clock speeds up to 3.3GHz during burst periods. If you are currently using T1 or M1 instances, we encourage you to try T2 instances for better performance for many applications at a lower cost.

T2 instances are available in the US East (N. Virginia), US West (Oregon), EU (Ireland), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), Australia (Sydney), and Brazil (Sao Paulo) regions and are coming soon to all other AWS Regions. T2 instances can be purchased as On-Demand and Reserved Instances. To learn more about Amazon EC2 T2 instances, see the Amazon EC2 details page.

Sincerely,
The Amazon EC2 Team

Can someone please help? I did the
sudo passwd -l root
sudo su -

and I had to restart the server but now I can't log in. It keeps giving me server sent publickey error.
I verified with a duplicate instance, the problem is not with anything else just this main instance.

Hi,

I am new to the world of Masternodes and I want to be eventually be able to run a Dash masternode. But in order to practice, I started with a cheap coin. With your Dash AWS setup guide as a guideline.

Now,
While getting started I applied the following commands :
sudo passwd -l root
sudo su -

And continued to follow the setup guide for my cheap coin from their website.

Now, the problem is, I think, those commands have messed up something with the root login, as when I got to the point where I needed to restart the server and the daemon, I found out that I couldn't log in anymore.

I am pretty certain it has to do with disabling root login, but please correct me if I am wrong. I waited 16 hours (or more) for that setup as that coin has a huge number of blocks (around 750k) .. if I can't log in, I think I would have to redo 16 hours of work / wait all over again.

Can you please help?

Last edited:
Can someone please help? I did the
sudo passwd -l root
sudo su -

and I had to restart the server but now I can't log in. It keeps giving me server sent publickey error.
I verified with a duplicate instance, the problem is not with anything else just this main instance.

Hi,

I am new to the world of Masternodes and I want to be eventually be able to run a Dash masternode. But in order to practice, I started with a cheap coin. With your Dash AWS setup guide as a guideline.

Now,
While getting started I applied the following commands :
sudo passwd -l root
sudo su -

And continued to follow the setup guide for my cheap coin from their website.

Now, the problem is, I think, those commands have messed up something with the root login, as when I got to the point where I needed to restart the server and the daemon, I found out that I couldn't log in anymore.

I am pretty certain it has to do with disabling root login, but please correct me if I am wrong. I waited 16 hours (or more) for that setup as that coin has a huge number of blocks (around 750k) .. if I can't log in, I think I would have to redo 16 hours of work / wait all over again.

Can you please help?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have followed the guide to create the AWS instance you should still be able using the ubuntu account with the ssh-key you have created/downloaded there. If you did not save the ssh-key there will be no way of logging in to your instance.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have followed the guide to create the AWS instance you should still be able using the ubuntu account with the ssh-key you have created/downloaded there. If you did not save the ssh-key there will be no way of logging in to your instance.

I obviously saved the key. Had the proper ppk file (not pem) etc etc the only problem was, I wasn't able to log in again. I am a hundred percent certain it has to do with that root login disabling thing. I tried again without that on another instance and everything worked fine.

So now the question is, how do I login as root / ubuntu once the root login is disabled.

PS: I am using Amazon's EC2 servers. (t2 Micro)

Wait wait!! as long as you fail to log in with SSH dont continue with the other steps!

Tell me please, what is the exact name and location of the .pem file in your linux file system!?

Back