• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Introduce Dash in the photography community

Pepper

My name is Ron Pepper, I'm a photographer in San Francisco and a long-time blockchain enthusiast. I'm thrilled about the idea to bring Dash currency to my industry and build adoption from the ground up!

Important Note: I would like to submit this proposal this month in order to spread the word before culminating with the Chicago conference in June.

The main idea: Introduce Dash, and with other blockchain solutions which are beneficial photographers, to the photography community. By introducing Dash in a helpful, educational way, we can encourage these entrepreneurs and free-thinkers to start actively using Dash. One day Dash could be the preferred crypto currency for photographers.

My proposal is a single payment (148 Dash) for a 3 month program because most of the costs are up-front for the duration of the sponsorships. It’s also not a particularly large amount of Dash relative to other proposals with comparable reach.

This is a ‘new’ audience with many who may be aware of crypto currency, but need help getting over the barriers to entry. This is also an "audience with an audience", because they are quite active on social media so expect the word to spread.

I think this will be successful because of my experience doing similar promotion for photography software. I have experience with sponsoring various face-to-face conferences and also online media outlets. My role was to hold presentations, create written and audio content and help others to do the same — all of which is designed to help perspective customers use the product. The opportunity to do the same for Dash is here and I already have some agreements in principle, they are ready to accept sponsorship in Dash and promote it with education. If I can combine these two passions, the enthusiasm shows through to those who are listening!

My role:

- Create agreements for Dash sponsorship as described below.

- Help sponsored businesses get started including wallet setup. (The people who manage the income are also the main content producers, so this experience will be conveyed to readers/listeners.)

- Be a major content creator and also a bridge for other creators. They will learn and create their own content as well.

- An active presenter, both formal presentations and casual interactions, at photography conferences (2).

- Personally engage with larger retailers to encourage them to start accepting Dash. This would be at larger trade shows like in the pre-proposal video. Some of this groundwork is already done in fact.

- Research into future opportunities for similar sponsorships (which includes travel)

Sponsoring online-delivered content with well-known outlets including Photofocus.com and This Week in Photo (media kits available):

1. Written content about blockchain solutions that photographers need to know. We definitely need to include more than currency here. I will write some and also help other authors to create their own articles.

2. Interviews, both audio and text, about how to start with Dash (I can do the interview or someone else who is promoting Dash or both).

3. Interviews, both audio and text, about additional pertinent blockchain solutions.

4. Frequent mentions and discussions about blockchain on podcasts

4. Contests/Giveaways

5. Other ideas that get proposed by the others involved with these companies.

Sponsoring and presenting at two photography conferences. With “buzz” already created by the above prior to in-person events:

1. General sponsorship that includes mentions, logos, etc.

2. Table/booth at the conference to help people get started hands-on.

3. Speak at sessions which will introduce blockchain including currency, Intellectual Property, Decentralized Backup, Steemit, and other blockchain solutions pertaining to the photography field (as time permits)

4. Giveaways/contests with Dash prizes

5. Small amount of Dash (maybe $10 worth) to each attendee — then opportunities to spend it during conference.

6. Other ideas include a small Dash giveaway for anyone who approaches me with their Dash wallet. Integrating small contest/prizes into other events. Happy hour where drinks are very cheap if paid with Dash (sponsorship to cover balance)

7. Other ideas that we come up with later.

If the budget permits:

1. More education for myself such as attending crypto/liberty events for real insider knowledge

2. Local San Francisco Bay Area meetups with Dash sponsorship and giveaways

3. Combine with other Dash events. For instance, travel to Oregon for Dash poker tournament to photograph it and play in it.

4. Assist with other Dash promoters when coming to my area.

5. Sponsor photography Youtubers

6. Photography Facebook Groups

If my networking results in other related sponsorship (for instance Kodak, or a backup solution) then we will add more time and events.

Funding breakdown based on Dash at $500. Total is $74,000 or 148 Dash:

Sponsorship of Photofocus, 3 months: $12,500

Content creation, management, educate staff $6000

Sponsorship of This Week in Photo, 3 months: $11,000

Content creation, management, educate staff $6000

Additional sponsorship / events to be chosen from additional options (such as in ‘If budget permits" above): $7500

“Out of Chicago” Photo conference Sponsorship:

“Gold” Sponsor $1000 (includes promotions, trade show table, etc.)

Dash for each attendees wallet $3000

Sponsored events such as happy hour and/or photowalks $3000

Travel $2000

Additional Booth staff $2000

Speaking, managing, and booth $3000

Documentation / printing $1000

“Capture Photo Con” Sponsorship:

Sponsorship $1000

Promotional event(s) $3000

Travel $2000

Speaking, managing, and booth $3000

Companion Website as resource for photographers:

Creation and populating resources $5000

Other networking travel:

Larger trade show and/or research for future sponsorships $3000

Hi! Greetings from Caracas, Venezuela. I'm a photographer too so I think this is an original pre-proposal because you want to introduce together both of the things you do and like; it's a innovative project. However, I didn't get the purpose of the project; I mean, you want to promote the use of DASH in the photography world, but how are going to do this? By which specific activities? Would you do it yourself or with a team? I suggest you to give more details of the specific activities you're willing to do and a detailed budget in DASH. Being more detailed could help you to receive more suggestions so your pre-proposal can be improved and funded.

Congratulations for your good and original idea. Wish you the best!

Regards, Showny.

I'm more interested in tools that can help photographers monetize their work. You mention Steemit, which is a good income opportunity but how about dash? Stock photography, again, is another needed marriage, but we don't have these yet. How I wish!

Hi! Greetings from Caracas, Venezuela. I'm a photographer too so I think this is an original pre-proposal because you want to introduce together both of the things you do and like; it's a innovative project. However, I didn't get the purpose of the project; I mean, you want to promote the use of DASH in the photography world, but how are going to do this? By which specific activities? Would you do it yourself or with a team? I suggest you to give more details of the specific activities you're willing to do and a detailed budget in DASH. Being more detailed could help you to receive more suggestions so your pre-proposal can be improved and funded.

Congratulations for your good and original idea. Wish you the best!

Regards, Showny.
Thank you Showny, I'm going to clarify some things in my post based on what you said. Cheers.

I'm more interested in tools that can help photographers monetize their work. You mention Steemit, which is a good income opportunity but how about dash? Stock photography, again, is another needed marriage, but we don't have these yet. How I wish!
Yes indeed, GrandMasterDash (one of the best names btw), I also want tools for monetization. But this step is to spawn usage and awareness at the individual level, and I highly suspect that some of those individuals will then innovate in bigger ways.

A friend paid the photographer at his wedding 1 BTC. I think that freelancing event photographers could be a nice niche market for Dash. :)

Thanks for submitting your pre-proposal, I think this is definitely a field that would benefit from adopting Dash, for sure. The conference approach has been pretty successful in terms of generating interest in many places, so that's no real issue. Could you elaborate on and further break down some of the budgeting allocations? Anything over 100 Dash--even at current market value--is going to raise eyebrows from MNOs, typically, so the more specific the budget the better.

Will you be representing yourself and your own business/organization at these events with Dash as an element of your business/organization, or will you be facilitating a standalone Dash booth at these conferences? You mentioned other blockchain solutions, what is the benefit to Dash specifically for this project if you'd just be hawking blockchain and cryptocurrency in general?

One suggestion I might make, if you intend to become a sort of "Official Dash Photographer on Retainer" and want this allocated from the treasury, I would suggest making that a separate proposal with escrow to ensure that you actually show up and deliver, otherwise you're basically asking a bunch of strangers to trust you with a lot of money up front. I think Dash could definitely benefit from having a professional photographer getting shots of Dash-related events, but there would need to be a measure of accountability with any sort of artistic patronage. Having this as a separate proposal would also reduce the cost of this proposal, pushing it more toward the level where MNOs are less likely to view it suspiciously.

Lastly, is there a place where we can see your portfolio and the kind of work you do in the field?

I'm not feeling this one. It's a niche field, the target audience are Americans, and photographers, who I think should be assumed to be somewhat tech-savvy already. If they aren't fans of cryptocurrency by now, this project isn't going to make a very big impact.

I feel our money is better spent on areas where our money goes farther, and for populations that have more to gain from Dash. Not that there's anything wrong with your proposal, I would vote no.

Hi Ron,

Do you have any involvement with Photofocus or This Week in Photo already?

Just wondering if there is any conflict of interest there.

Cheers,
Jack @ DR

Back