• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

[Pre-Proposal] DashBoost - Funding Small Projects By Sub-DAO

Would you support this proposal?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No (Please explain why)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Possible, Need More Info (Please ask your questions)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
I like the structure you are laying out, and it's clear you've put a lot of thought in to running it properly.

My main concern at this point is that people arguing for perfection before a MVP can be launched will stall the project indefinitely.

I certainly encourage you to think about the ultimate structure, but I think getting a MVP out the door in the next couple of months is just as important.

So long as you're clear that it is a framework to be expanded upon in the future, I have high hopes for the masternodes to see the sense in passing it.
Hi @Plateglassarmour, thanks for your feedback. I plan on having an emphasis on the proposal detailing how the first month of development will all be based around getting the MVP finalized, the second will be making it look better and adding key features like filtering and other quality of life features. The third month we will take a look at the data collected and figure out what the best path will be going forward.
Thanks for your feedback again.

Hey @Pasta ,

Have you considered what @coingun suggested and just have a minimum stake required to vote?
Maybe 5 Dash is required to have 1 vote or something along those lines.
This would eliminate the potential for bribery and all the variables of having volunteers, etc.

Hey @Pasta ,

Have you considered what @coingun suggested and just have a minimum stake required to vote?
Maybe 5 Dash is required to have 1 vote or something along those lines.
This would eliminate the potential for bribery and all the variables of having volunteers, etc.

Hi @djcrypto I have been in a lot of talks with coingun, might have something I can announce publicly soon, but the minimum stake will likely be 1 Dash. For the first two months, the reviewer system will not be operational. We hope that there will be enough community involvement in order to maintain this voting only setup. However, we fear we might have too many petitions to keep community members involved. We could solve this by raising the fee, however this is something I wish to avoid as I feel it stifles innovation. I hope that the poll/voting system will suite the community well, however we are also prepared to introduce other systems in order to keep funding small proposals and keep innovation high.

It is going too cost 240 bucks to review a proposal why not set that as the fee for the petitioner then reviewing potential projects don’t affect the funds that can be used for projects. Cause at 50 a proposal some one could spam you and then cost 190 bucks each that could be spent on good projects.

It is going too cost 240 bucks to review a proposal why not set that as the fee for the petitioner then reviewing potential projects don’t affect the funds that can be used for projects. Cause at 50 a proposal some one could spam you and then cost 190 bucks each that could be spent on good projects.
Hi @Ftoole thanks for your feedback. We are planning to set the fee at $200 initially with the potential of changing that up or down in the future. For the first two months, this system will be completely voting based. At that point, we will look at all the data we have collected and introduce the potential of reviewers if needed. Hopefully it will not be needed. Based on community feedback and the data we receive after two months, we will either propose keeping the system as is, introducing the reviewers as advisory (similar to PEC), or introducing the reviewers with the ability of a reviewer consensus being able to stop something from receiving funding as well as community voting able to stop something from receiving funding.

Nice proposal. You've put a lot of thought and work in already. I proposed something very similar a while back. People raised some of the same concerns about centralization and bureaucracy. Ultimately I abandoned that proposal and shifted my efforts to try to bootstrap a local (Utah-specific) sub-DAO (what I call a cooperative). I'm currently nursing that along unfunded.

I will promote your proposal to MNOs I know. I'd take @GrandMasterDash's advice seriously and try to put some boundaries around your scope, geographic and/or otherwise.

Either way, let's collaborate on tooling where it makes sense. I'll be building similar open-source software tools along the way.

-Rion

Nice proposal. You've put a lot of thought and work in already. I proposed something very similar a while back. People raised some of the same concerns about centralization and bureaucracy. Ultimately I abandoned that proposal and shifted my efforts to try to bootstrap a local (Utah-specific) sub-DAO (what I call a cooperative). I'm currently nursing that along unfunded.

I will promote your proposal to MNOs I know. I'd take @GrandMasterDash's advice seriously and try to put some boundaries around your scope, geographic and/or otherwise.

Either way, let's collaborate on tooling where it makes sense. I'll be building similar open-source software tools along the way.

-Rion
Thanks for your feedback. My team and I have recently been redoing this proposal with all the feedback in mind and plan to push it live soon. I'll make sure to keep in touch with you in regards to tools and the like. I have a good dev team I'm working with so if you need anything just message me on discord :)

In principle I support the idea because I had the very same one :)

Here's a link to the proposal: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/grassroots-crowdfunding-system

It's now called DashRoots, and we've been developing the system since a little after the proposal failed to gain enough support to pass. We're developing the system with our own money, and we'll come back to the treasury once we can demonstrate value to the network, which I think is fair.

While on the surface our ideas are similar, DashRoots will remain a more open platform, where a proposal can pass so long as there are some people willing to support it. Perhaps your idea will evolve more towards a review / approval system to help inform bigger budget decisions, which is equally as valuable.

I've just posted an update on our progress on the project blog, for anyone that's interested: https://blog.dashroots.fund/2018/01/04/project-update

Great discussion here and we would like to add a few things for full transparency. Firstly Rion we didn't realize you may have been the one that did get this grass roots type effort going perhaps before or after Martin Rue, so to Martin and Rion thank you very much for that ground work. Regardless of who started it we think the discussion is healthy and we also think it aligns well with the goals of GreenCandle to allow the community to feel comfortable moving forward with proposals, that even if they result in failure, will not result in funds being left unspent or uncreated in the Dash eco-system.

After first scoping out the GreenCandle - GrantCenter one of our director's made contact with Martin Rue over twitter and unfortunately the logistics never worked out for Martin and our director to sit down and hash out seeing if Martin and his team could build the Grant Center. Fast forward a few weeks and we began discussions with Pasta and his team about them being open to us combing their idea's with our Grant Center ideas and working on this together.

At GreenCandle we want to draw a line in the sand in terms of simplicity and we are passionate about taking complex ideas and projects and removing the complexity and narrowing in on the benefits. It was after our initial discovery and due diligence meetings that we were able to arrive at a place where we felt comfortable that Pasta and his team could pull off our vision and that some of their ideas actually extended our original goals. On the other hand some of them we found to complicate the formula so we have asked for them to be removed from the MVP.

We also wanted to make a clear statement that in the manner of decentralization that if more then one option evolves for the distribution of the left over funds we intend to open up the ability to fund evenly between the potential projects. We decided to move forward with Pasta and his team because of the synergy that developed as we progressed through the due diligence process.

Last edited:
I am very excited for these continued operations between DashBoost and GreenCandle. Thank you for sitting down with my team and refining both of our ideas into one project that now has a very solid scope and road map for the future. I cannot wait to see what 2018 holds.

I am very excited to announce that DashBoost is now a full proposal launched under GreenCandle. View-able here. We have reworked how the system is going to work and are focused around building an MVP and then updating from there based on community feedback. As soon as it appears DashBoost will pass, our development team will start work immediately. I am very excited and will be available at all hours I can to answer questions. I highly suggest reading the proposal document and the technical specification. Thank you.

We are really excited to bring Dash Boost to the network in combination with the idea of the GreenCandle GrantCenter we have partnered with Pasta and his team to bring this idea to fruition.

This proposal can be found here: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/gc-dash-boost

If you have any questions please don't hesitate.

Also please watch the video

Self-audited? - I hope all dash voting addresses will be public.

Will the source code and rights be handed over to Core so that we could replicate this elsewhere without GCs explicit consent? (perhaps not needed in the long term but to state this now would eliminate doubt in the future)

Two questions,

First, what constitutes a "small proposal"? $10,000 or less? $100,000 or less? A million? Is there a hard cut off?

Second, If I understand correctly, GreenCandle/DashBoost will take the volatility out of the equation by making sure the winning proposal owner gets the specified value (in US dollars), but paid in Dash. This is easy if the value of Dash goes up. Wooo Hooooo, we end up with extra money. But where does the extra value or buying power come from if the value of Dash goes down by 40%? I'm pretty sure you guys can't just run off and print extra Dash in the back room like our nice government friends.

Carry on, have fun, win!

Any updates on the MVP?
Hey JZA, we are working away. There is currently nothing which needs to be updated. We will do so we have a sufficient update. Thanks for your interest in this project!

Hey guys great idea.

Think this is much needed, but I would love to hear more about the team behind this project and a more detailed budget. From which country will you be operating from?

Gpod luck

Hey guys great idea.

Think this is much needed, but I would love to hear more about the team behind this project and a more detailed budget. From which country will you be operating from?

Gpod luck

Hey Santos, a detailed budget including all expenses will be released at some point near the start of March in our first monthly update. We are operated out of the United States primarily. Thanks for your interest in the project.

Any person can register on DashBoost and verify ownership of a certain address. The balance of that address will correlate to a certain number of votes that the owner will receive and be able to use. The algorithm that decides how many votes a user will receive based on address will be linear (IE. 1 Dash = 1 Vote). Community Voting will primarily be used as a poll. However, if the poll is negative, it will NEVER be directly funded. In the early days of DashBoost the voting system be a simple majority vote.
can I delegate my vote?
For example I would like to hire as delegate @UdjinM6 for all proposals related to code development and @amanda_b_johnson for all proposals related to advertising , and let them vote on my behalf (I own one vote and a half).
Will delegation be implemented in your DashBoost system?
MILESTONES
February 28th
Have a functioning platform, which although not pretty does the basics of what the platform requires. This includes someone being able to submit a petition, and reviewers judging on them. Community members can view and comment on petitions.
I am looking forward seeing your prototype, and if delegation is not supported this will be my first proposal in your system.

Last edited:
Back