• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

So someone gave me an Antminer S1...

pbleak

A Bitcoin miner I know only through a meetup group has donated an Antminer S1 to me (he said he could only get 20e on ebay for it so just passed it on).

He suggested a Corsair power supply...any idea what one is best or where I could find a cheap one (from Europe, not the US).

Also what exactly do you guys think I should do with it...the mining/electricity ratio means it is unprofitable for Bitcoin but it also seems a shame to just let the thing sit there all sad and doing nothing.

I'm also totally keeping it in general terms as 'just a cool thing to have' so no selling on.

1) Fire it up and solo mine bitcoins. 1 in 500,000 that you'll hit a block at this difficulty but better odds than some lotteries!

2) Fire it up and point it at Xpool.ca and earn some Darkcoin.

I'm thinking of mining DRK for sure. I need to sit down and work out how many coins 180GHS will pull in. The main worry is, of course electricity. Any tips on how people deal with this?

I have two bitcoin miners setting in the corner of my office.... 1 KNC Jupiter @ 650 GHs and 1 Cointerra Terraminer @ 1.6 Ths. I don't run either of them anymore because the electricity costs way more that they will ever produce again in mining profits. Your friend was wise to just get rid of the ant miner because they are sometimes to tempting to not power them back up and mine with them! Good Luck and monitor your power bill steadily...

I have two bitcoin miners setting in the corner of my office.... 1 KNC Jupiter @ 650 GHs and 1 Cointerra Terraminer @ 1.6 Ths. I don't run either of them anymore because the electricity costs way more that they will ever produce again in mining profits. Your friend was wise to just get rid of the ant miner because they are sometimes to tempting to not power them back up and mine with them! Good Luck and monitor your power bill steadily...

I think he just knew I'd like to have one. He has a few racks of decent miners in his setup so to him it might have been like just handing someone a toy. What I might do is fire it up and just see how it works from time to time as an experience.

I am curious as to whether there are no alt coins you could mine with those machines that would make a profit? (DRK or otherwise)?

I think he just knew I'd like to have one. He has a few racks of decent miners in his setup so to him it might have been like just handing someone a toy. What I might do is fire it up and just see how it works from time to time as an experience.

I am curious as to whether there are no alt coins you could mine with those machines that would make a profit? (DRK or otherwise)?

ASICS are "Application Specific" so if they are designed for bitcoin you can mine only bitcoin... You can mine in a pool that converts your bitcoin to some other coin, but in the end you are still just mining bitcoin. With bitcoin's difficulty level even my ~2.5 Ths isn't profitable... :sad:

You can mine any SHA256 coin with it, but none of them are profitable unless you have free electricity, and even then you're talking pennies a day.

I think I may just have it as a party-piece so: 'look, a Bitcoin miner.' 'Ohhhh, it is on?' 'No, it's a retired miner.'

You can mine any SHA256 coin with it, but none of them are profitable unless you have free electricity, and even then you're talking pennies a day.

With apologies for the crudeness, I believe that Startcoin and Wankcoin are both relatively less unprofitable than other sha256d alt coins.

A Bitcoin miner I know only through a meetup group has donated an Antminer S1 to me (he said he could only get 20e on ebay for it so just passed it on).

He suggested a Corsair power supply...any idea what one is best or where I could find a cheap one (from Europe, not the US).

Also what exactly do you guys think I should do with it...the mining/electricity ratio means it is unprofitable for Bitcoin but it also seems a shame to just let the thing sit there all sad and doing nothing.

I'm also totally keeping it in general terms as 'just a cool thing to have' so no selling on.
I checked the spec of the antminer and it's 360 watts at 12 volts so if watts=volts*amps, you have 30 amps with 3 times 12 volt rails to find.
I suggest not buying a new power supply, you can power it off an old PSU as long as its over about 400 watts in total(check label spec on side). I have a 500 watt that is speced at 36 amps for 12 volts so that would give some headroom, use as many separate 12 volt (yellow) wires from the PSU as possible.
It would probably be ok to use really old 250 watts atx power supplies to power 10 amps each, so 1 for each 12 volt rail, but you would need 3 of them in total(I have not tried that, there is a chance of cross railing it but should be ok,just make sure you get the yellow(s) 12 volts correct way round and connect all 3 blacks together to form a fixed zero volts rail)
And short the only green wire on the big connector to any adjacent black to start the PSU and take the 12 volts from the yellow(2 yellows on newer atx) at the back right..
atx-power-on.jpg

Any black will do from the connector to form the common zero voltage rail for all 3 PSU's.

I checked the spec of the antminer and it's 360 watts at 12 volts so if watts=volts*amps, you have 30 amps with 3 times 12 volt rails to find.
I suggest not buying a new power supply, you can power it off an old PSU as long as its over about 400 watts in total(check label spec on side). I have a 500 watt that is speced at 36 amps for 12 volts so that would give some headroom, use as many separate 12 volt (yellow) wires from the PSU as possible.
It would probably be ok to use really old 250 watts atx power supplies to power 10 amps each, so 1 for each 12 volt rail, but you would need 3 of them in total(I have not tried that, there is a chance of cross railing it but should be ok,just make sure you get the yellow(s) 12 volts correct way round and connect all 3 blacks together to form a fixed zero volts rail)
And short the only green wire on the big connector to any adjacent black to start the PSU and take the 12 volts from the yellow(2 yellows on newer atx) at the back right..
atx-power-on.jpg

Any black will do from the connector to form the common zero voltage rail for all 3 PSU's.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping/thinking of doing. Will report back on how it goes!

My antminer arrives tomorrow. Will be funny staring at it and pondering what to do. Power first and then some reading!

OK, it's here can anybody recommend here to buy old PSUs - as mentioned above - since I have none about the place. I'm in Europe. Not sure what brand to get, but I'm sure people round here know this stuff inside out.

hi i'm new in bitcoin but i want to ask about antminer S1 is it can be changed to be other than bitcoin miner?

I have 6 units of antamina S1 which is not used anymore, is it suitable for use other than bitcoin miner? I hope anyone will answer my question .. sorry this is because I am new to this machine

Artesyn server PSU.jpg
View attachment 5659
OK, it's here can anybody recommend here to buy old PSUs - as mentioned above - since I have none about the place. I'm in Europe. Not sure what brand to get, but I'm sure people round here know this stuff inside out.

Hi dude:
I recommend you to buy a cheapest used server PSU (Power Supply Unit) that could supply power for up to two S1/S3 ASIC miners.
Like an example of refered server PSU:
-HP Z800 PSU
-IBM x3650 or 3655 (835Watts)
-Delta DPS-835AB
-Artesyn 7001138-Y000

Any server PSU must have at less ... 12.0V * 60A = 720Watts (this value is the double of S1 power demand of 360 watts)

Consult some web pages/online videos like tutorials "how to do" or contact to a technician people (from your friend list first) to make the adaptation job. I have not permited to use link here to refere specific help to you because I am a newcommer here.

If anybody have not in use bitcoin miners setting in any place of his office or home and want to donate it, I whish I would to receive. It shall be a great help to me. Thank a lot in advance.

"The distance between your dreams and reality is called action"

Last edited:
Back