• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash as world money transfer for unbanked people

carlomile2

This isn't a proposal but a open discussion I want that we share ideas on.

So I live in a poor country and as you can see I am doing my best to promote Dash here and let people use it. So as you know probably, these country like Haiti and some african country use a lot money transfer services and the rate Is so high. So I see Dash as a solution in this way and their family in foreign country can easily send money for them

Here the government take 1.5 $ on each transfer. And the Service provider take from 0 to 300$ the fee is about 10$ and up to 300$ you will pay about 3$.

So I see that as a crime and in Haiti a lot of people receiving fund from their families in foreign country like USA, Canada, France, Brazil, Chile etc and in a report the total of transfer made by Haitian in Chile for their family was about 36 million us for a year

http://lenouvelliste.com/article/17...-ont-transfere-36-millions-de-dollars-en-2016
http://lenouvelliste.com/article/17...seur de transferts après celle des États-Unis
http://lenouvelliste.com/article/17...seur de transferts après celle des États-Unis

So I see that is a crime when we have the solution with Dash. So what we can do yo solve this problem ? Can we create a service for transfer fund so users dont need to Have Dash but they can make the transfer in the Dash system. the sender buy dash in a retail store and give the local adress and the receiver will take it with low fee.

I want to hear your voice about that.

I live in montreal where theres a large haitian community. Theres a lot of small shops that can be used as offices for money transmiting services using dash but the problem is about the legality of it. You could do it in a hush hush way but to be complient with local legisltion is probably impossible at this point.

So i see your point but when we will able to do that ? so we cant say that we will wait the government accept crypto as a legal thing, so we want to see how to do it. like now we are doing a lot of thing without the legality, is like Bitcart that sell gift card, so they aren't a legal entity, people use their service's based on their own risk or the trust that they give them, So for example if someone tell that, okay all people that need to send money to Haiti just come do it with Dash and give the address of the person and they will have it withing a minute. And at local the receiver come and take his fund, with a number, or he can show that the amount is for him. something like that, So where we need to be legal ?

Before even considering "serving the unbanked" crypto has to become much more user friendly. They are often illiterates, uneducated and with average low IQ, they're not going to use cryptocurrency at all. Show crypto to a bunch of IT professionals and they'd be hesitant to put $100 there, to expect these unbanked to put their monthly salaries is just wishful thinking.

Dash does not have a product for "the unbanked". Dash does not have a product for people with no education, computer illiterates and low IQ. We shouldn't make any attempt to market or "promote awareness" there because it'll be a waste of resources.

If and when Evolution comes, if it's easy enough, then we should consider.

I was talking about remitance system using dash as intermediary. So a person in montreal who wants to send funds using canadian dolllar to a relative using haitian gourde. Sure the best outcome is to use dash directly as a currency and thats what we try to acheive

IQ does matter when it's an issue of understanding how to use the wallet software. Some people still have issues with using ATMs, for example.
So the issue of usability with the current Dash build for low IQ people is valid, regardless of the fact if they are poor or not.
But I disagree that raising awareness has no benefit, as there are surely a lot of intelligent people there, that maybe just weren't exposed to crypto before and have no idea that it exists as an alternative.

Guys, so you are now talking about unbanked people to use Dash, so my point was about money transfert, not for unbanked to use Dash, so i think some effort must be done before or we will wait with the evolution. So i expect like you that traditional money transfer are making million and for that, i think that Dash can show a solution and with this industry where million are making by these traditional service provider, so i think that a solution can be up with dash, so ppl don't need to use Dash but the transfer will make into Dash system, so the sender pay in fiat and the money will convert in Dash and another service at local will convert it in local currency, so the people don't need to know dash then. and i think that the fee surely will reduce.

Yes so it a very important topic and we must discuss to solve it, so many of us don't know this situation because have ATM and card, but for these unbanked ppl it very hard for them so we must think about these solutions for these people.

I think it's currenctly impossible.

Crypto is complicated. And getting in even more. There would have to be a service on top of Dash, that would bring Dash into real world. People would not interact with blockchain directly, but through that service. I can't see any regular person at this point using crypto as a way how to transfer money on mothly basis to another regular person.

Getting into crypto is only difficult when you insist on doing it backwards.

...which stupid people always do.

So crypto will become more friendly for people and the new evolution project so it will bemore more easier and granma can use it even, so dont see that it difficult but see way to make it easy. that's the point.

@carlomile2 this is one of the good idea on how to make it happen which is to reduce the cost when transfer the money abroad.

First thing is for giving an awareness to public about what Dash can do.

Next is for sure we will have to cope up with current system which is people already get used with withdrawal their fund via ATM machine.

Thus, we can tap to any debit card provider that accept Dash as the funding method.

So, people can easily withdraw their money via ATM. I think even a grandma can do so.

What do you think about the idea ?

Before even considering "serving the unbanked" crypto has to become much more user friendly. They are often illiterates, uneducated and with average low IQ, they're not going to use cryptocurrency at all. Show crypto to a bunch of IT professionals and they'd be hesitant to put $100 there, to expect these unbanked to put their monthly salaries is just wishful thinking.

Dash does not have a product for "the unbanked". Dash does not have a product for people with no education, computer illiterates and low IQ. We shouldn't make any attempt to market or "promote awareness" there because it'll be a waste of resources.

If and when Evolution comes, if it's easy enough, then we should consider.
A little off-topic but I tend to agree strongly with this. Dash is a technical system, and I worry that many unbanked lack those skills.

Still, of course, there is a share of the unbanked that are savvy. Breaking into that demographic is, for us, a matter of capturing that group.

In absence of a better way to find those people, I think handing out free Dash, making videos, supporting on-the-ground outreach groups, and other marketing efforts make sense.

This isn't a proposal but a open discussion I want that we share ideas on.

So I live in a poor country and as you can see I am doing my best to promote Dash here and let people use it. So as you know probably, these country like Haiti and some african country use a lot money transfer services and the rate Is so high. So I see Dash as a solution in this way and their family in foreign country can easily send money for them

Here the government take 1.5 $ on each transfer. And the Service provider take from 0 to 300$ the fee is about 10$ and up to 300$ you will pay about 3$.

So I see that as a crime and in Haiti a lot of people receiving fund from their families in foreign country like USA, Canada, France, Brazil, Chile etc and in a report the total of transfer made by Haitian in Chile for their family was about 36 million us for a year

So I see that is a crime when we have the solution with Dash. So what we can do yo solve this problem ? Can we create a service for transfer fund so users dont need to Have Dash but they can make the transfer in the Dash system. the sender buy dash in a retail store and give the local adress and the receiver will take it with low fee.

I want to hear your voice about that.
People in poor countries posting about the importance of cryptocurrencies is my best tool for getting my girlfriend interested in coins, so thank you for posting this :)

As to your question, I am also interested in why these services don't exist.

First off, do people in Haiti have access to smartphones? If so, then having access to a coin trading platform that carries Dash would solve the problem. A major theme among budget proposals is financially supporting Dash's expansion to exchanges in countries where the coin is not currently traded, so if there is no Dash exchange available for Haitians, we should definitely support somebody who wants to build one.

Second, if somebody did create a business of providing currency transfer through, say, CAN -> DSH -> HTG, the agents on both sides would still charge a fee for providing this service. Perhaps if it were an app that made this serious of transfers, it could be done cheaply with high enough volume, but I think the cost of exchanging currencies will still be a problem.

Any crypto currency will not be a good solution for poor people cross border payments.
At first crypto currency prices are too volatile. Sometimes you can buy some coins and win but sometimes price can drop. For poor people it can be a significant amount.
Secondly we need to convert FIAT -> DASH -> FIAT. Most of such users will be not able to use exchange platforms. Thus we need some "agent" again.

Back