• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Setup your KeepKey wallet for dash (and other coins)

kiljoy001

I have written this guide for anyone who decided on buying or is using a keepkey hardware wallet to store their cryptographic assets such as dash. The process is not terribly difficult, but it did take me more time than normal to figure out to set it up, as the information was not in one location, and was somewhat harder than normal for me to find.

Step 1. Download the right client Keepkey has two versions of their chrome client - one is the stable release, the other being a release candidate. Out of the two, you want to download the release candidate rather than the stable release. In the future, this is bound to change, but at the time of this post, you will need the aforementioned version. The release candidate has the ability to store other assets beyond bitcoin.

Step 2. Follow the directions to setup your device I'm going defer to the instructions provided by keepkey here. A gentle reminder: keep your seed phrase in a safe place. One other thing: Make sure your firmware is current - my version is 3 at the time of this post. If it isn't, do a firmware update by holding down the button on the wallet, then open your keepkey app. Follow the directions and that should be taken care of quite quickly.

Step 3 Make Your Accounts At this point you should be able to create your accounts - there should now be a listbox with other cryptos. Just choose what you need (dash), give it a name and press next.

How to use Shapeshift

When I tried to do this it wasn't quite obvious on how to start the process, but all you need to do is go to the send menu and click on the blank address field. It should now show any other accounts you have. Select one and then proceed. There will be a prompt asking you to accept shapeshift's terms of service, to accept hold down the button on your device. All done. You can easily now buy bitcoin (or any of the other supported coins) and exchange it on your keepkey wallet.

I just bought one. Opened it up and there is a list of coins that you can store on it, and DASH is not in the list. Does yours actually list DASH?

Yes, you can start masternodes off KeepKey using dashmnb --> https://github.com/chaeplin/dashmnb
It's still a bit "hacky" though, we are working on solutions with a better user experience :)
True. dashmnb is geeky and interim solution to start masternode till official solution launched.

I think there will be no fund(s) move or mn queue lost when moving from dashmnb to mnbroadcast official solution, because fund(s) are in hw wallet.

Last edited:
True. dashmnb is geeky and interim solution to start masternode till official solution launched.

I think there will be no fund(s) move or mn queue lost when moving from dashmnb to mnbroadcast official solution, because fund(s) are in hw wallet.

Thank you @flare and @chaeplin!
Trying to follow the dashmnb instructions at github, I noticed one of the steps seems out-of-date: activate script's location has changed from venv3/bin to venv3/scripts.

Also being a newbie to Dash masternode, I'm somewhat confused by how this guide relates to Tao's Setup Guide on dash(dot)org. Does this guide completely replace Tao's Setup Guide if you're running hardware wallet? There seem to be some overlap, yet this guide doesn't mention dash-cli or sentinel which I thought were necessary for running a masternode.

Trying to follow the dashmnb instructions at github, I noticed one of the steps seems out-of-date: activate script's location has changed from venv3/bin to venv3/scripts.

Also being a newbie to Dash masternode, I'm somewhat confused by how this guide relates to Tao's Setup Guide on dash(dot)org. Does this guide completely replace Tao's Setup Guide if you're running hardware wallet? There seem to be some overlap, yet this guide doesn't mention dash-cli or sentinel which I thought were necessary for running a masternode.

linux/mac uses venv3/bin, windows uses venv3\Scripts.

You need to setup remote masternode using Tao's guide, dashmnb only covers local cold wallet part.

linux/mac uses venv3/bin, windows uses venv3\Scripts.

You need to setup remote masternode using Tao's guide, dashmnb only covers local cold wallet part.

I see. Thanks again for clarifying @chaeplin!

In Tao's Setup Guide, we need to run "masternode genkey" in Dash Wallet to get MASTERNODEPRIVKEY and "masternode outputs" to get transaction hash, which are needed for masternode.conf. How do we get these two piece of data from a KeepKey offline wallet?

In Tao's Setup Guide, we need to run "masternode genkey" in Dash Wallet to get MASTERNODEPRIVKEY and "masternode outputs" to get transaction hash, which are needed for masternode.conf. How do we get these two piece of data from a KeepKey offline wallet?

As for
Code:
masternode genkey
you can use ANY Dash Core wallet for that, the key is not bound to any funds.

The "masternode outputs" on the other hand is the txid of the 1000 Dash transaction.

e.g. your masternode pubkey is https://explorer.dash.org/address/XvEHqxrprcoZ7SUUK2sCn3vGiBw3E2wGvK, then the matching masternode output is

https://explorer.dash.org/tx/9b6b8995da5944ed0f13d775d1abeb693fbcc3c2b32b933bb65d6f6cacecbd6a#o1

1) mn privkey is random one, so use any dashcore wallet to generate
2) masternode outputs is txid and vout you send to an address on keepkey, Use block explorer or transaction history on Keepkey App.

If that's the case, would it work if we run masternode off a Dash wallet in Windows as described here by @tungfa and @UdjinM6, except that the deposit is kept in KeepKey offline wallet? If not, what additional changes are needed to keep the deposit offline?

It seems much quicker to get going if we can run masternode off a Dash wallet. The main concern was the need to keep deposit in that online wallet.

Last edited:
If that's the case, would it work if we run masternode off a Dash wallet in Windows as described here by @tungfa and @UdjinM6, except that the deposit is kept in KeepKey offline wallet? If not, what additional changes are needed to keep the deposit offline?

Sure, that's how it works. For using hardware wallets you need the help from supporting scripts (e.g. dashmnb), but technically it works the same.

The main concern was the need to keep deposit in that online wallet.

That was never a requirement, you can start a masternode with "offline" coins since day 1. Funding wallet and masternode are distinct entities.

Thank you @flare for guiding me along to thus far --
Running "./dash-cli mnsync status" produces correct results
"AssetID": 999,
"AssetName": "MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED" ...

and dashmnb was able to talk to my KeepKey HW wallet to get a list of addresses. Fun stuff so far!
And after reading dashmnb help more carefully, I was able to start the masternode from dashmnb. Running "dash-cli masternodelist full" shows that my node is listed there but status is "New_Start_Required".

Again pardon me w/ hopefully one last newbie question :) -- does dashmnb have restart command? I ran "dashmnb.py <node name>" again, but it doesn't restart -- just displays the same status.

So close to the finish line ...

Last edited:
quick update: Instead of restart the masternode I just rebooted the remote VPS. Seems like dashd is out-of-sync w/ network since yesterday. resyncing now ...

@bitbybit join dash nation slack. http://www.dashnation.com/chat/

Which setup do you use ?
1) dashmnb + local dashd/QT + remote vps(masternode)
2) dashmnb + remote vps(masternode)
3) dashmnb + rpcsvc by chaeplin + remote vps(masternode)

if 1) ==> check your local dashd/QT is updated to 12.1

start/restart mnalias1 only ---> dashmnb.py -a mnalias1
start/restart all mns status is not in ENABLED/PRE_ENABLED/WATCHDOG_EXPIRED ---> dashmnb.py -a

Last edited:
@chaeplin I believe it's 3) dashmnb + rpcsvc by chaeplin + remote vps(masternode) w/ the following dash mainnet in dash.conf:
USE_SSH_TUNNEL = False
rpcusessl = True
rpcuser = 'dashmnb'
rpcpassword = 'iamok'
rpcbindip = 'test.stats.dash.org'
rpcport = 8080

# network
MAINNET = True # mainnet
wif_prefix = 204 # cc
addr_prefix = 76 # 4c
coin_name = 'Dash'
min_fee = 10000 # fee for tx
# to display err on masternode.conf
errorsnprogress = []

After I ran dashmnb.py -a <mnalias>, the status changes to Watchdog_Expired. At least it's doing something. :)

Ran "dash-cli masternode status" on remote VPS, got this error:
"vin": "CTxIn(COutPoint(0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, 4294967295), coinbase )",
"service": "<myip>",
"status": "Not capable masternode: Could not connect to <myip>"

Have no idea where coinbase came from.

Just joined dash nation slack under the same username. We can chat there if that's easier. Thanks again!

I have written this guide for anyone who decided on buying or is using a keepkey hardware wallet to store their cryptographic assets such as dash. The process is not terribly difficult, but it did take me more time than normal to figure out to set it up, as the information was not in one location, and was somewhat harder than normal for me to find.

Step 1. Download the right client Keepkey has two versions of their chrome client - one is the stable release, the other being a release candidate. Out of the two, you want to download the release candidate rather than the stable release. In the future, this is bound to change, but at the time of this post, you will need the aforementioned version. The release candidate has the ability to store other assets beyond bitcoin.

Step 2. Follow the directions to setup your device I'm going defer to the instructions provided by keepkey here. A gentle reminder: keep your seed phrase in a safe place. One other thing: Make sure your firmware is current - my version is 3 at the time of this post. If it isn't, do a firmware update by holding down the button on the wallet, then open your keepkey app. Follow the directions and that should be taken care of quite quickly.

Step 3 Make Your Accounts At this point you should be able to create your accounts - there should now be a listbox with other cryptos. Just choose what you need (dash), give it a name and press next.

How to use Shapeshift

When I tried to do this it wasn't quite obvious on how to start the process, but all you need to do is go to the send menu and click on the blank address field. It should now show any other accounts you have. Select one and then proceed. There will be a prompt asking you to accept shapeshift's terms of service, to accept hold down the button on your device. All done. You can easily now buy bitcoin (or any of the other supported coins) and exchange it on your keepkey wallet.
I am trying to setup Keepkey and when you get to Pin there is no way to enter a "0" zero any clue how to do it ...I know I could just change to a number with no zero but just for my own stubborn satisfaction....problem is they show you a 9 key pad on your computer (with no numbers) and a 9 key pad on the keepkey with scrambled numbers BUT NO ZERO...any help ...I know it's something simple but what?????? thanks ahead of time

No. I wanted a zero too. Just let it go.
Or use my 'workaround': mentally swapped the zeros in my desired PIN to another digit. Makes it even more secure :)

Back