• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

My qt wallet stuck in my taskbar (windows 10)

newmz

Hello....
right now, for some reason (I suspect a windows 10 update bug) when I run my wallet, the usual splash screen of checking blocks, etc appears - right up to the point where it says "wallet loaded" or whatever, then it minimises down to the taskbar and I can't actually get it up and open as a window on my desktop. I can right click on the dash symbol in the bottom right and get "wallet information", etc but I can't send or receive or see my total - the window just won't open like it should when you have minimised something then you click on it. I just see a white square or sometimes nothing above the minimized dash symbol.
Anyone else having trouble or seen this before? How do I get my regular wallet back?

Have you tried Alt+Tab? Does the wallet show as running in task manager? Can you close it down and does it disappear from task manager? By right-clicking are you able to select Options and toggle the options in the Window tab?

Sorry, I'm Captain Obvious here. I hate Windows 10.

No problem about the "captain obvious" stuff. I understand. Yes "Dash Core (GUI node for Dash)" appears in task manager. If I hover over the task bar icon at the bottom I see "dash core wallet" but a totally white box. Yes I can close it down by right clicking on it and choosing to close down. When I start it the whole splash screen process happens until it says "wallet done loading" or whatever for a few seconds then it just disappears and is only this useless icon on the taskbar that I can't maximize. I am actually mining to a dash p2p node and I can see notifications of incoming amounts so the wallet is accepting incoming dash (I think/hope) but I just can't get it to appear as a useable window.
I also hate Windows 10. I was using Win 7 for ages while the free Win 10 ugrade was available and I unfortunately did it near the end of the free year. I use Win 8.1 on another machine which is mining Ethereum and I wish this machine was Win 8.1. This is horrible really. I have never had to recover a wallet before. There is at least 5 Dash in the wallet plus whatever I have mined since this started happening.
I have tried re-running the latest installer. Didn't help.
How hard is it to recover a wallet on another machine? Do I just install the wallet and drop my wallet.dat file in it's folder? I could run it on a laptop I have but that is also Win10 so maybe it would be the same. Surely if this is a Win10 bug plenty of people would be complaining.

Yes, look after your wallet.dat, save multiple backups and then you can just drop it into any install of Dash Core wallet. With multiple copies made of wallet.dat while your wallet was shut down, have you tried removing Dash wallet and reinnstalling again from scratch? The bootstrap will save you waiting while your wallet syncs.

It's worth joining Dash Nation Slack at dashchat.org. In the #support_desk channel you can get real-time help from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about :)

Hello....
right now, for some reason (I suspect a windows 10 update bug) when I run my wallet, the usual splash screen of checking blocks, etc appears - right up to the point where it says "wallet loaded" or whatever, then it minimises down to the taskbar and I can't actually get it up and open as a window on my desktop. I can right click on the dash symbol in the bottom right and get "wallet information", etc but I can't send or receive or see my total - the window just won't open like it should when you have minimised something then you click on it. I just see a white square or sometimes nothing above the minimized dash symbol.
Anyone else having trouble or seen this before? How do I get my regular wallet back?

I have the same problem....

Back