• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

on-chain scaling vs off-chain

Dashmaximalist

evan showered praise on dash's upcoming on-chain capabilities , as much i love that fact

i fail to see why we cant have both , ie on-chain and off-chain scaling

some people say segwit is risky etc , can some one explain what the risks are ?

thanks

As I understand, segwit adds the possibility of nodes that are independent of the blockchain and are centralised locally, so they are more sensitive to malicious attacks or some other form of abuse.
It's always better and more secure if you can scale the number of transactions directly on the blockchain, but it's more resource intensive and doesn't allow so much freedom to third parties that want to develop their own solutions for interacting with the blockchain.

excatly , there are pros and cons to both ,so we should have both options , is that our plan ? or just on-chain scaling ?

excatly , there are pros and cons to both ,so we should have both options , is that our plan ? or just on-chain scaling ?
I believe that Dash core have indicated that they are focusing purely on 'on chain' transactions. (Big blocks - dedicated hardware for masternodes - with 4000 transactions per second and upwards!)

I think we should walk over that bridge when we get to it. Right now, we are far from the blocks being congested and MN network provides much of the functionality that Lightning Network should provide anyway.

segwit also enables smart contracts if i am not wrong ??
Remember what Evan said about 'DAPI' which is a short piece of code which 3rd parties can easily integrate into their websites to accept Dash. - This is a feature in Evolution which will enable 3rd party integration much more simply.. and keep everything 'On Chain.' I'm not from a technical background so I hope my explanation is basically correct.

The point is this , segwit enables billions of transactions per sec as its off-chain , when its on-chain there will be a limit eventually DAPI or no DAPI

Just be aware that those off-chain segwit transactions must at some point be settled on the chain, so they are not the ultimate solution to scaling.

You can do 10s of 1000s of offchain transactions for each txn to be settled on chain so ya it's pretty scalable that way

Yes, but why not let Dash be the best on chain (therefore most secure) transaction crypto project/coin, and therefore win the mass adoption race, 4000 transactions per second is comparable with Visa I believe? Then much longer term, let's look at the technology landscape and see if an off chain solution is required sometime in the future.

It's not a problem that needs fixing yet.

The point is this , segwit enables billions of transactions per sec as its off-chain , when its on-chain there will be a limit eventually DAPI or no DAPI

@Dandy is right, we should definitely cross that bridge when we get to it. I'll tell you why... Dash Labs is doing R&D into blockchain tech and I think it's entirely possible dash could run multiple experimental chains at the same time. One of those chains, for example, might use a Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) similar to IOTA or it might try the Delegated Byzantine Fault Tolerance found in Neo (formally antshares). SegWit is a bit of kludge but these emerging ideas might prove to be more robust.

@Dandy is right, we should definitely cross that bridge when we get to it. I'll tell you why... Dash Labs is doing R&D into blockchain tech and I think it's entirely possible dash could run multiple experimental chains at the same time. One of those chains, for example, might use a Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) similar to IOTA or it might try the Delegated Byzantine Fault Tolerance found in Neo (formally antshares). SegWit is a bit of kludge but these emerging ideas might prove to be more robust.

Sounds great, looking forward to it

Back