• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

6 GPUs in windows 8.1

imblaze

Hello, i have 6 r9 290x 6
motherboard h81 probtc
windows can`t see a gpu in pcie slot6( images in attachments, gpu work on other slots normally)

Attachments

• 290.PNG
    290.PNG
    42.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 290x.PNG
    290x.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 95
  • devices.PNG
    devices.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 104
  • nw.PNG
    nw.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue and have investigated extensively to find a solution. I have 2 miners with the following set-up;

1/ AsRock H81 Pro BTC (BIOS version 1.5) with 5x Sapphire R9 280X Toxic running on Windows 8.1
- AMD Catalyst driver 14.6 installed
- sgminer 4.?.? MODB2 (will try newer versions later on, but it works fine)
- using flat ribbon non-powered risers
- 4.3 MH/s per GPU and runs stable 24/7

2/ AsRock H81 Pro BTC (BIOS version 1.5) with 5x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X running on Windows 8.1 with
- AMD Catalyst driver 13.12 installed, but with the applicable AMD driver 14.6 opencl files in the sgminer directory
- currently sgminer 4.?.? x11x13mod (have tried almost all of them)
- currently using USB powered risers, but have also tried with flat ribbon non-powered risers
- 5.0 MH/s per GPU, but have not found the best sgminer configuration settings (speed should be near 6 MH/s per 290X card)
- have been trying to find a 24/7 stable configuration for weeks

The Windows OS of both miners indicate a Code 43 error in System\Device Manager when I add a 6th GPU to the motherboard.

None of the custom/modified drivers or work-arounds provided at litecointalk.org worked for me. I tried them all, following the instructions to the letter.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I still have to try if it works with Ubuntu (still on todo list).

Hello, i have 6 r9 290x 6
motherboard h81 probtc
windows can`t see a gpu in pcie slot6( images in attachments, gpu work on other slots normally)

1: if you don't do this already try powered risers...all(!) of them powered! I assume your power supplies are not the bottleneck, 6 290x need plenty of power.

2: if have one board with the following layout (counted from CPU socket down):

1) 1x
2) 16x
3) 1x
4) 16x
5) 1x
6) 1x
7) 1x

Up to 4 GPUs there MUST be a GPU in slot 2), with more there must NOT be a GPU in slot 2)
Don't ask me why...

Besides that, Windows 8.1 handles multiple GPU setups MUCH better than Windows 7.

You need a modified inf driver to get the 6th card working, hold up I may still have it in my dropbox.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyxge2fznoj6e7a/amd14.6_mod_inf_6x_gpu.zip?dl=0

Uninstall your ATI drivers

Run this from a bat file to be sure:

del "c:\windows\ati*.*"
del "c:\windows\system32\ati*.*"
del "c:\windows\system32\amd*.*"
del "c:\windows\SysWOW64\ati*.*"
del "c:\windows\SysWOW64\amd*.*"
pause

Reinstall 14.6 Beta, (cancel install after the extract process).

Disable Driver Signature Enforcement (sigEnfDisable.cmd)

Overwrite inf files in driver directory.

Reboot

Install drivers manually in Device Manager.

You're good to go after that mate.

Back