• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Core Team Q1 2017 Summary Call

kot

Masternode Owner/Operator
Dear Dash Community Members,

On behalf of the Dash Core Team I would like to invite you for the Q4'16 quarterly call to discuss project progress, summarize Core Team activities and answer your questions.

The call will take place on Thursday, 18th of May at 14:00 UTC on our WebEx channel: https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/...1I8DUXZ3SOI0LQZPPLZ6OC-10JSD&rnd=636025.02699
There are 100 places available in our virtual meeting room. The call will be recorded and shared on the forum.

Agenda:
  1. Welcome and Introduction
  2. Software Development Report
  3. Business Development Report
  4. Marketing and Communication Report
  5. Project Organization Report
  6. Project Finance Report
  7. Summary
  8. Q&A
Feel free to prepare and submit your questions earlier, here in this thread or you will have an opportunity to ask your questions during the call (this time we are planning live Q&A session).

US TOLL:+1-415-655-0001
Meeting Number: 191 689 124

Thank you
Robert Wiecko

Dash Core roadmap be released by then? (I had read somewhere else that it would be released later in May)
Yeah, I'd like to have some kind of idea what 12.2 will hold...

Since DASH's killer features have all been left to rot on the vine for quite a long time, and smart competitors have already begun implementing what DASH invented and failed to capitalize upon... With the lead lost to a half dozen competitors, I can see why you might not want to talk too much. They could then start implementing what you're working on right now, before you do it yourself...

There already appears to be about zero hope that you'll ever catch up to XRP's development position. A few others nipping at your heels...

But, we need to have some kind of a clue. MNOs, and investors at large, have been flying blind on empty speculation for several months now. There bas been absolutely no word on where this is going in the short-term. Just a massive pie in the sky Evolution white paper released a really long time ago, and still largely unimplemented.

Q1. @Minotaur both @ThirtySix and @Danny_Somthin appear to be undertaking similar but seperate projects in the Marijuana sector. Can you confirm that the two projects are co-ordinating with one another?
Q2. @babygiraffe There has been some speculation that the DASH network maybe asked to fund General byte ATMs in Marijuana despecieneies. If this does occur would you agree these ATMs should be DASH branded, and only accommodate DASH transactions?
Q3. @Jonkindl will the evolution white paper be translated into multiple languages on its release? And when will the white paper will be released publicly?
Q4. @JonKindl will there be any material changes (i.e. improvements) in how private send operates in evolution over how it currently operates in 12.1?
Q5. @eduffield , when collateralised mining is eventually introduced, do you have a rough idea of what the collateral amount maybe to begin with?

1) Has there been any planning done re a launch for Evo?
2) What has been planned so far?
3) Who is in charge of the planning?
4) Will there be a pre-launch campaign?
5) What is the ball-park budget for the pre-launch and actual launch?
6) Will any Dash be saved from previous months to accumulate a war chest for the launch?

I want to know what biz core and dev core have to say about dash's governance system (financial and otherwise). Are there any changes or additions planned? Are there any thoughts on creating a group to research, develop and extend dash's governance?

Great. May I ask - will the Dash Core roadmap be released by then? (I had read somewhere else that it would be released later in May)
No. The work on the roadmap is still in progress. We want to be sure about our commitments and more time is needed to develop detailed roadmap.

General question
Judging by the altcoin market caps, this year we are seeing many crypto projects (including Dash) breaking out and becoming very successful. In a nutshell, what would you say are the most important characteristics about Dash that differentiate it from other crypto projects, that will allow the project to continue to the next level? Do you perceive other altcoin projects as competitors?

Thanks

I am new to Dash (very excited) and to mining. I have recently invested a fair amount of money into mining, and since then have read discussions about possibly moving to a PoS only model and also talk of collateralized mining. Because of my investment into mining these possible scenarios leave me with some questions.

1) If collateralized mining is planned:
A) When might this occur?
B) How would it work?

3) For either scenario: How might it be implemented so miners who had recently invested in Dash mining did not lose money on their investment or be forced into a period where ROI takes an impossibly long time. Would ample notice of the pending change be made to allow other potential miners to invest accordingly?

Thanks!

I have few questions:

1. When will DAPI available?

2. When will the Decentralized Oracle service available?

3. Is there any fee for using DAPI call?

1) Has there been any planning done re a launch for Evo?
6) Will any Dash be saved from previous months to accumulate a war chest for the launch?

I'd like to extend this question to a more general: -Could you comment on the possibilities of accumulating unspent budget to future months. Is the concept desirable? Is it technically feasible?
I know Ryan has stated multiple times that budget isn't our problem right now (growth is), but we know so little about the future. There could be either large unforeseen costs or decreased revenue going forward.

::EDIT To be clear: I'm talking about updating the system to roll over unspent budget automatically, not by manual "filler-proposals" like done in the beginning.

I am new to Dash (very excited) and to mining. I have recently invested a fair amount of money into mining, and since then have read discussions about possibly moving to a PoS only model and also talk of collateralized mining. Because of my investment into mining these possible scenarios leave me with some questions.

B) How would it work?

3) For either scenario: How might it be implemented so miners who had recently invested in Dash mining did not lose money on their investment or be forced into a period where ROI takes an impossibly long time. Would ample notice of the pending change be made to allow other potential miners to invest accordingly?

Thanks!
Hey @Ribs
We usually don't cover technical questions during the call, as it would difficult to provide all the answers, so everyone on the call understands them.

@AndyDark , @UdjinM6 - would you be so kind and answer here (if possible)?

B) How would it work?

Thanks!

I personally don't see a need for this any time soon

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 15.30.24.png

I'd like to extend this question to a more general: -Could you comment on the possibilities of accumulating unspent budget to future months. Is the concept desirable? Is it technically feasible?
I know Ryan has stated multiple times that budget isn't our problem right now (growth is), but we know so little about the future. There could be either large unforeseen costs or decreased revenue going forward.

::EDIT To be clear: I'm talking about updating the system to roll over unspent budget automatically, not by manual "filler-proposals" like done in the beginning.

Counting of what possibly could have produced but wasn't and then producing new coins to counter-balance this is feasible. But this changes the economics by slowly creating huge growing pile of coins which can potentially be released on-demand and squeeze supply schedule quite noticably. This alone should put downwards pressure on the price imo. Moreover, I bet that once there is a passing proposal to release such coins (say budget is 6k but you also want to release another 10k of "savings") market will respond accordingly and price will crash to compensate the inflation you just created. I'm more in favor of "spend only what you have", instantly printing additional money because you need them is not a good idea imo.

I personally don't see a need for this any time soon

View attachment 4144

Counting of what possibly could have produced but wasn't and then producing new coins to counter-balance this is feasible. But this changes the economics by slowly creating huge growing pile of coins which can potentially be released on-demand and squeeze supply schedule quite noticably. This alone should put downwards pressure on the price imo. Moreover, I bet that once there is a passing proposal to release such coins (say budget is 6k but you also want to release another 10k of "savings") market will respond accordingly and price will crash to compensate the inflation you just created. I'm more in favor of "spend only what you have", instantly printing additional money because you need them is not a good idea imo.

I agree. A respective grab for previously unused budgets via a soft or hard fork is a bad idea. This would set a terrible precedent. Community members invested in DASH based on the current coin supply rules.

We can't mess around with the coin supply.

Re: OPs original point on collaterised mining - this has been identified as a deliverable in the original road map. It hasn't been discussed much, but Imo it is a good idea. As ASIC chips become commoditised and cheaper, the cost of a 51% attack also becomes cheaper. Collaterised mining solves this problem as it increases the cost of such an attack. Thus, collaterised mining increases the security of the network. It would also increase the value of the network.

@haslo I'm not sure how collateralized mining would incentivize miners to participate. Maybe I don't understand how its supposed to work, but allowing only masternodes to mine, or limiting mining rewards based on how much a miner has staked seems counterintuitive to an expectation that owners of Dash, miners in this case, wouldn't be expected to want to be able to spend their earnings. What point is there in having "digital cash" that one is penalized for spending? What point is there to mining aside from an altruistic perspective if one's profit is limited? And how does this not risk centralizing mining to those who already possess enough Dash, or means to purchase enough Dash, to meet the requirements to mine? Seems like it would shut out small miners or new miners because the effort wouldn't worth it. I'm probably totally missing something that renders everything I just said meaningless so maybe someone can shed some light on just how collateralized mining would work because right now I don't feel like a fan of it and maybe I should be.

EDIT: I just read v13 evolution will include this. Would love to know how this will work!

Last edited:
@haslo I'm not sure how collateralized mining would incentivize miners to participate. Maybe I don't understand how its supposed to work, but allowing only masternodes to mine, or limiting mining rewards based on how much a miner has staked seems counterintuitive to an expectation that owners of Dash, miners in this case, wouldn't be expected to want to be able to spend their earnings. What point is there in having "digital cash" that one is penalized for spending? What point is there to mining aside from an altruistic perspective if one's profit is limited? And how does this not risk centralizing mining to those who already possess enough Dash, or means to purchase enough Dash, to meet the requirements to mine? Seems like it would shut out small miners or new miners because the effort wouldn't worth it. I'm probably totally missing something that renders everything I just said meaningless so maybe someone can shed some light on just how collateralized mining would work because right now I don't feel like a fan of it and maybe I should be.

EDIT: I just read v13 evolution will include this. Would love to know how this will work!

@Ribs in the conference call they addressed this and said that collateralized mining is not in the near term roadmap, and if we do want any changes that could affect miners in that way (collateralized mining, or changing block reward), it would not be implemented suddenly because we need to respect the investment that miners have made into our infrastructure.

When the full call is released there is the more complete answer --

Is the recording still going to be released? I'm sure lots of people would like to listen to this who couldn't dial in at the time.

It will be for sure.
Actually the whole core team is focused on Consensus 2017 BY so once back home they will provide the video I suppose;)

Back