• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Reimburse the Dash Piper

Poll: How do you feel about the Dash Piper?

• I love it! I'll vote to reimburse him and I want him coming back to future events!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Bagpipes are awesome. I don't think it jibes well at Dash events but I'll vote for reimbursement.

• I like bagpipes but don't think it should come out of the budget. No reimbursement.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • They're supposed to sound good? Bagpipes sound like squeezing a cat in a bag! (No reimbursement)

• Total voters

Jmmon

Hello! I'm Joe, the Dash Piper. I've been playing bagpipes for over 9 years. If you went to the Dash open house at Skysong at ASU you might've seen me play after the event. I piped outside the building entrance in my kilt and my Dash shirt for people to watch and listen as they filtered out of the open house and headed to McFate's. People loved it! I played off and on over about an hour near the end of the event. My total play time was 25-30min in that hour.

I don't live nearby. I wasn't planning on going to the open house until I asked if I could play bagpipes for the event. I was in the piping mood after playing 20+ performances for St. Patrick's Day and so I floated the idea to Pete and he liked it. So my brother and I made the (long) drive down from Spokane, WA , 1381 miles away. I had a blast meeting all the people that came and I plan on making it to many future Dash events, bagpipes or no!

Costs:
Gas: 1392 miles * 2 / 26mpg * ~$2.46/gal = $263.41
Wear and tear approximation (8.5 cents/mile*): $234.77
Motel: $84.40
Performance: $155

Subtotal: $737.58
@$66.93 (4/12/2017): 11 Dash

Proposal fee: 5 Dash

Total: 16 Dash

Please ask any questions you have!

*Wear and tear approximation from reading a couple forum posts:
community.cartalk dot com/t/how-to-calculate-wear-and-tear-on-car/9998/3
community.cartalk dot com/t/wear-and-tear-of-a-car-per-mile/88152/2

Whom invited you to the event ? Then that guy should pay. The host pays.
If you came by yourself, then no "reimbursement" is possible, I'm afraid.

Either way, it should not come from the budget. Voting: NO

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

If some known people can confirm this i'll be happy to vote yes. I like the asking after the event and price seems fair.

Performance: $155
The proposal owner for the event could just have hired a piper on location for 2,5 Dash. Sorry, but it would be extremely inefficient if we were to grant reimbursements like that.

We were so delighted and surprised to see a bag pipe player at the open house! My son, whom you talked with for a while, just loves bag pipes (and bluegrass) So yes, I'll vote for some reimbursement. So glad you came down!

Now guys, I know it seems weird to pay a young man for coming down and performing for everyone, but he brought a lot of spirit to the event, and I really wouldn't mind helping pay for the trip. Perhaps, if this hasn't been done yet, you could modify it so that we pay for just some of the expenses to help you out, as a nice gesture?

Picture
dashpiper.jpg

Whom invited you to the event ? Then that guy should pay. The host pays.
If you came by yourself, then no "reimbursement" is possible, I'm afraid.

Either way, it should not come from the budget. Voting: NO

I asked to be part of the event. I originally wanted to be announced as the Dash Piper and to either open or close the event with a short performance. This wasn't able to work so I instead played outside for an extended time as people left the event.

We don't often see businesses with bagpipes and I had an idea to become the Dash Piper and pipe for Dash things, if the people of Dash liked the idea. If people don't, I'm still a bagpiper and I'm still a fan of Dash so I might still pipe at some Dash things (if the organizers are okay with it). Anyway, if nothing else, meeting everybody and playing bagpipes at the first ever Dash open house was a fantastic experience.

Hi Joe,

If some known people can confirm this i'll be happy to vote yes. I like the asking after the event and price seems fair.

Thank you!

The proposal owner for the event could just have hired a piper on location for 2,5 Dash. Sorry, but it would be extremely inefficient if we were to grant reimbursements like that.

Thank you for the feedback. If a piper were hired on location it would cost $300 or more to play 25-30min, and he wouldn't know anything about Dash. It would probably be weird to announce him as the Dash Piper and to ask him to wear a blue Dash shirt for the performance. I'm the best of both worlds: a bagpiper AND a Dash nerd!

Towards the end of the open house as people mingled and talked I was surprised at how many people were asking me questions about Dash just because I had a blue Dash shirt on. People figured if you were wearing blue you were "official." I've been consuming everything I can about Dash over the past 8 months and so I was able to answer most questions. I also showed a gentleman how to sweep his new paper wallet (one of the ones Jeff was handing out) into his phone wallet, but the cell signal inside the building was terrible so he had to go outside for it to go through.

Thanks again, and I'll consider the amount I requested.

We were so delighted and surprised to see a bag pipe player at the open house! My son, whom you talked with for a while, just loves bag pipes (and bluegrass) So yes, I'll vote for some reimbursement. So glad you came down!

Now guys, I know it seems weird to pay a young man for coming down and performing for everyone, but he brought a lot of spirit to the event, and I really wouldn't mind helping pay for the trip. Perhaps, if this hasn't been done yet, you could modify it so that we pay for just some of the expenses to help you out, as a nice gesture?

Thank you! I really enjoyed my trip and meeting everyone there! I'll consider the amount.

Thank you! Proof - that I at least was there, kilted up, wearing my Dash shirt holding a set of bagpipes! :)

Last edited:
Back