• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Move Dash Db files to an external hard drive?

theghost1980

Hello there. I would like to know if it is possible to move all dependencies, including the Dash blockchain to an external hard drive.

I am using a Macbook which has limited space of SDD, so basically I am almost running out of space, this is why I want to know if this is possible.

I have a seagate external drive of 1TB, it should allow to run any kind of software because it uses usb-c, which is faster.

Thanks for your time!

It's easy. First, locate your Dash Data folder (where block data and other files are stored, including wallet.dat). In Windows Dash Data folder is in "%Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\%; in Linux is in ~home/YourUserName/.dash. Move that folder and all its content to yor external drive. Next time you start Dash Core, you must point to the new place where your Dash Data folder is. That's all. ;) ;) ;)

Hello Athelas, thanks for answer. Got it. I will do that. To point the new place to Dash Core, I guess I have to do it in the Dash Core command line? If you could point me a practical guide online I will follow from there.
In the mean time I will try to do it by myself (first a backup of my wallet which is always necessary) If I succeed I will let you know.

Thanks for your time!

Well, i' ll try to explain with pictures. Let's say you already located and moved Dash Data folder to your external HDD. Next, when you start Dash core, you will be prompted (because Dash Core cannot find Data folder at its usual place). My examples will be in Linux.
window1.png
You see at this picture where (in my case) is the usual place for Dash Data folder. Next, at the second picture you must point at the new place for Data folder (your external HDD):
window2.png
At the end, you must choose new place for Data folder:

window3.png

Well, i' ll try to explain with pictures. Let's say you already located and moved Dash Data folder to your external HDD. Next, when you start Dash core, you will be prompted (because Dash Core cannot find Data folder at its usual place). My examples will be in Linux.View attachment 3128You see at this picture where (in my case) is the usual place for Dash Data folder. Next, at the second picture you must point at the new place for Data folder (your external HDD):
View attachment 3130At the end, you must choose new place for Data folder:

View attachment 3131

Thanks man! appreciate it. As soon as I can I will try it and I will post the results. have a nice day :D

Back