• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

HD crashed, lost Dash Core

Nils

He guys,

yes I admit I made a mistake :(, but at that time I was a newbie, actually I'm still a newbie

My laptop HD crashed a while ago, so I lost Dash Core with my Dash. The wallet was not encrypted.

I could get the hashes and the addresses on the Exchange where I bought them. Is there any way to get them back some how.

Thank you
Nils

@Nils
No, you need those addresses' private keys. They reside in the wallet.dat file that was in your HD and that you should have backed up.

There are services that can try and rescue data from crashed hdd. If that wallet had more than such recovery would cost you - probably a good idea to try.

Thanks, actually it is what I thought. I will try to recover the HD and see if I can get back those Dash. Considering the today value, the wallet has much more than the recovery cost. Let's say that my cold storage method is pretty good, nobody can get my Dash, not even me. Thanks again

He guys,

yes I admit I made a mistake :(, but at that time I was a newbie, actually I'm still a newbie

My laptop HD crashed a while ago, so I lost Dash Core with my Dash. The wallet was not encrypted.

I could get the hashes and the addresses on the Exchange where I bought them. Is there any way to get them back some how.

Thank you
Nils

Also,

You can use a trezor and that way you won't have this issue again.

http://trezor.io

It supports btc, Dash, and Zcash at the moment.

Hi,

To get the lost stuff back from hard drive you can try free data recovery software.

Hope this will work for you!!

To get the lost stuff back from hard drive you can try free data recovery software.

If there is allot of Dash in the wallet, I would avoid trying to do this yourself, using the wrong tools might damage the bits and bytes on the drive to the point that even a professional service is no longer able to help you.

If you do want to try this yourself, make a clone of the drive, using something like "dd" or alternatives, before running the recovery tools. More on that: http://www.osforensics.com/tools/create-disk-images.html

First step when you realize a mistake like this, turn off the pc, pull the drive out of the pc, do some careful planning and testing on how to move on from there.

Back