• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to repair a wallet that is encrypted?

aka teslaalset

I am a recent user of QT wallet and have some issues that may be resolved using the 'wallet repair' options.
My wallet is encrypted by default during (re)start.
Initiating most of the wallet repair options, after unlocking the wallet first, initiate application to restart.
E.g. trying the first option ("salvage wallet") in the wallet repair page result in a pop up with the warning text:
"Wallet is locked. can't replenish keypool! Automatic backups and mixing are disabled, please unlock your wallet to replenish keypool".

This seems a bug that frustrates the intended action(s). Any views on this?

I am currently using QT Wallet using Dash Core 0.12.1.1.

What are the issues you're having that need repairing? Not sure why you're getting that message but the command line has much more powerful options, the wallet repair functions in the qt client are just a small set put in for convenience and many of the issues they're intended to address are long past at this stage.

What are the issues you're having that need repairing?

Stan, I've posted my issue(s) in another thread of this discussion section.
(I can't post the link since I am a new user and require three postings first, while this is my second one).

But for this thread it is irrelevant. The issue I raise here is that a QT Wallet feature ("wallet repair") does not seem to work due to the fact that initiating one of the 'wallet repair' options triggers the wallet app to restart, closing the wallet encryption and not requesting to open up the encrypted wallet before pursuing the repair action.

Stan, I've posted my issue(s) in another thread of this discussion section.
(I can't post the link since I am a new user and require three postings first, while this is my second one).

But for this thread it is irrelevant. The issue I raise here is that a QT Wallet feature ("wallet repair") does not seem to work due to the fact that initiating one of the 'wallet repair' options triggers the wallet app to restart, closing the wallet encryption and not requesting to open up the encrypted wallet before pursuing the repair action.

Ahh, ok. Could be worth submitting the issue:
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues
Might be better pinging @UdjinM6 on it first in case anything's being done with the qt repair options at the mo though.

Well, I checked the code and this option should work. The warning doesn't seem to break anything according to logs. Wallet restart is also a part of the procedure, so nothing wrong here. It will trigger again and again (and will disable mixing) every time you start your wallet until you actually let it fill keypool with fresh keys by unlocking your wallet (and restart again).

One thing to note though: salvagewallet option is _very_ aggressive and should be only used when a) you have backup of wallet.dat and b) you have no other choice, nothing else helped. It can even break your wallet actually, so please do not click it "just for fun".

Back