• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Facebook Ads for Dash Tutorials

Would you help me advertise Dash to 500,000+ people on Facebook by voting yes on this proposal listed at https://www.dashcentral.org/p/facebook-ads?

gobject vote-many 3dddeef76e5053e7ab57703f62aeacfc771ef843ecfe4f7439e8f84ae49b367c funding yes

When you fund this, I will spend 34 Dash on Facebook ads featuring the 10 video tutorials funded in my last proposal all of which I made into one complete 2 hour Dash masternode investment tutorial video at .

What results can we expect? I have spent about $1,000 advertising the first pinned post on my page at https://www.facebook.com/jbanfield which has reached 786,417 people an average of two times each with 151,000+ people watching the video, 500+ shares, 250+ comments, and an average cost of $0.06 per website visitor. How much would we all benefit from this level of interest and sharing about Dash?

I just submitted this as an ad to Facebook while writing this proposal with a budget of $10 a day targeted to users interested in Bitcoin. Will you partner with me to help more people learn about Dash on Facebook by voting yes?

gobject vote-many 3dddeef76e5053e7ab57703f62aeacfc771ef843ecfe4f7439e8f84ae49b367c funding yes

Thank you for reading this and I hope you have a wonderful day today!

Sincerely,
Jerry Banfield

Thank you for checking the comments! I tried to keep this proposal short and sweet with then answering any questions you have here instead of trying to stuff them all into the proposal!

For proof of my experience advertising on Facebook, would you see this tutorial I made on YouTube?
or take my free 13+ hour video class at https://jerrybanfield.com/freecourses/

I use my website in the ad because Facebook tracks people who land on the page and optimizes the ad to show to people most likely to end up on my website using all of their user data. If I use dash.org or another URL outside my website, Facebook only can optimize for clicks on the link which tends to result in Facebook showing the ads to people that just click and do not load the website.

jerry
i pinged you multiple times regarding your "do not encrypt your wallet statement " and have still NOT got a comment on this !
did you edit or pull the video yet ?
sorry but funded by blockchain brings a responsibility to look past your personal opinion and follow the general safety recomondation !

all wallets have to be encrypted !

still waiting for your answer otherwise i can not support future proposals of yours !

Last edited:
jerry
i pinged you multiple times regarding your "do not encrypt your wallet statement " and have still NOT got a comment on this !
did you edit or pull the video yet ?
sorry but funded by blockchain brings a responsibility to look past your personal opinion and follow the general safety recomondation !

all wallets have to be encrypted !

still waiting for your answer otherwise i can not support future proposals of yours !

I agree that encryption is a good idea for many users and provide a complete solution in the tutorials showing how to generate a secure password, keep it safe over time, and use that to encrypt the wallet. I started with the disadvantages to encryption to begin because I see this as the biggest risk for most new users is encrypting their wallet on their first use, not keeping track of the pass code over time, and then losing access. If I am to provide an honest look at using and investing in Dash, would it be right for me to fully disclose the risk at each step or to hide what I see as the biggest risk of human error in losing the passphrase? What if a new Dash user encrypts their wallet and keeps their passcode so secret that when they die, their partner and family cannot ever access their wallet? The tutorial explores the risks first because I hope to motivate new users to make a plan for never losing access to their passphrase when they encrypt their wallet instead of carelessly creating a password like it is a new website sign up where a lost password form or a call to customer service can easily be used to get back in.

I agree that encryption is a good idea for many users and provide a complete solution in the tutorials showing how to generate a secure password, keep it safe over time, and use that to encrypt the wallet. I started with the disadvantages to encryption to begin because I see this as the biggest risk for most new users is encrypting their wallet on their first use, not keeping track of the pass code over time, and then losing access. If I am to provide an honest look at using and investing in Dash, would it be right for me to fully disclose the risk at each step or to hide what I see as the biggest risk of human error in losing the passphrase? What if a new Dash user encrypts their wallet and keeps their passcode so secret that when they die, their partner and family cannot ever access their wallet? The tutorial explores the risks first because I hope to motivate new users to make a plan for never losing access to their passphrase when they encrypt their wallet instead of carelessly creating a password like it is a new website sign up where a lost password form or a call to customer service can easily be used to get back in.

Not sure you answered the concern? Are you going to edit the video to at least state that you should encrypt your wallet just ensure that you don't lose the password.... I think we will see some nifty virus files that will simply copy wallet.dat files and anyone who did not encrypt the wallet file will be at risk. Lets not start down this path, please modify your video to say use encryption on the wallet and to REMEMBER your password.

"be your own bank"
brings the responsibility of securing your funds and NOT relying onto a 3rd centralised party to recover your password - and eventually being hacked and leaking everything = check recent Cloudflare hack !

i am working on new security guidelines (n00b users )
your video is 100% counter productive !
are you gonna edit or erase it yes or no ?

Well, I wouldn't say that 100% of wallets MUST be encrypted - you can have small wallets sitting non-encrypted, not a big deal. Just consider them already lost like if you would lost your pocket wallet. Everything else SHOULD be encrypted and backed up (ideally into multiple places). Doing otherwise it's only a matter of time till you open your wallet next time and realize that all funds are gone. To be clear: even encrypted wallets are not 100% safe, but non-encrypted are not safe at all.
Otherwise you are telling them that "closing doors is not a good idea because you can lose your keys one day and you won't be able to enter the house" and as a result they will be robbed eventually.

Because I do not want to waste more of my lifetime into this I repost my comment from Dashcentral here:

just checked the video - the "encrypting the wallet is not a good idea" is still inside. But after watching the video twice and wasting my lifetime with it I must tell you it is a total nonsense from the POV of a security expert. It is the result of somebody without security background listing his own limited life experience. That its very dangerous. It not only can fool people into that non security trap and lose their funds but also snap back on the whole DASH project. And therefor it is unacceptable. I recommend you to remove the whole video - its just 14 min - think about it.

As a consequence I change my 'yes' votes to 'no' for now.​

If you want to make another video on security related things I recommend to get some expert feedback before you publish it.

Just want to re-iterate what many others have said. Encrypting your wallet is NOT something that should be portrayed as optional only for people who are comfortable doing it. It comes with the territory, everybody who gets into crypto should be instructed on how to encrypt the wallet and to do it in a way such that they do not lose their password, as a non-negotiable requirement.

I think many of your videos are very helpful Jerry but you're tripping a bit on this particular issue. I hope you will listen to the feedback from these very experienced individuals as it seems to be quite unanimous. This is a make-or-break issue for me, I will only support the two proposals if you change it!

I accept your request to refilm the encryption tutorial to focus on the benefits of encryption and how to do it right with clearly mentioning the risks at the end. When you vote yes on this proposal and it is funded, I agree to refilm the encryption part, rerender the video, and reupload it to Facebook and YouTube and advertise that instead of the video I created.

Not sure you answered the concern? Are you going to edit the video to at least state that you should encrypt your wallet just ensure that you don't lose the password.... I think we will see some nifty virus files that will simply copy wallet.dat files and anyone who did not encrypt the wallet file will be at risk. Lets not start down this path, please modify your video to say use encryption on the wallet and to REMEMBER your password.

"be your own bank"
brings the responsibility of securing your funds and NOT relying onto a 3rd centralised party to recover your password - and eventually being hacked and leaking everything = check recent Cloudflare hack !

i am working on new security guidelines (n00b users )
your video is 100% counter productive !
are you gonna edit or erase it yes or no ?

Well, I wouldn't say that 100% of wallets MUST be encrypted - you can have small wallets sitting non-encrypted, not a big deal. Just consider them already lost like if you would lost your pocket wallet. Everything else SHOULD be encrypted and backed up (ideally into multiple places). Doing otherwise it's only a matter of time till you open your wallet next time and realize that all funds are gone. To be clear: even encrypted wallets are not 100% safe, but non-encrypted are not safe at all.
Otherwise you are telling them that "closing doors is not a good idea because you can lose your keys one day and you won't be able to enter the house" and as a result they will be robbed eventually.

Because I do not want to waste more of my lifetime into this I repost my comment from Dashcentral here:

just checked the video - the "encrypting the wallet is not a good idea" is still inside. But after watching the video twice and wasting my lifetime with it I must tell you it is a total nonsense from the POV of a security expert. It is the result of somebody without security background listing his own limited life experience. That its very dangerous. It not only can fool people into that non security trap and lose their funds but also snap back on the whole DASH project. And therefor it is unacceptable. I recommend you to remove the whole video - its just 14 min - think about it.

As a consequence I change my 'yes' votes to 'no' for now.​

If you want to make another video on security related things I recommend to get some expert feedback before you publish it.

Just want to re-iterate what many others have said. Encrypting your wallet is NOT something that should be portrayed as optional only for people who are comfortable doing it. It comes with the territory, everybody who gets into crypto should be instructed on how to encrypt the wallet and to do it in a way such that they do not lose their password, as a non-negotiable requirement.

I think many of your videos are very helpful Jerry but you're tripping a bit on this particular issue. I hope you will listen to the feedback from these very experienced individuals as it seems to be quite unanimous. This is a make-or-break issue for me, I will only support the two proposals if you change it!

Took away my thumbs up, I need to read more carefully. "When you vote yes on this proposal and it is funded" really, you are using that as a bargaining chip?

My original reply from a day ago, I ended up not posting but ...
---

Tbh, new user should not be using dash-qt, especially if they are not tech savvy. Learning people how to use dash-qt or bitcoin-qt as an intro to crypto is a mistake if you ask me. If you are using dash-qt to save the coins you plan to pass along when you die you are doing it wrong, that is what hardware wallets are for in combination with their recovery seeds. (http://cryptosteel.com/)

For daily use and learning, there are a lot of options out there that are more user-friendly and provide the backup with the support you talk about. When using dash-qt there is no valid reason to keep the wallet file unencrypted and if you ask me there are very few valid reason to use dash-qt and none of those deal with people that just started learning about crypto. This might have been different two years ago when the dash eco-system was new but at this point in time, no dash-qt is not the tool to learn people how to use dash.

I will vote yes for this proposal on the condition that the recent video stating not to encypt a wallet is removed and re-uploaded advising people to encrypt their wallets, as explicitly stated by the Dash Core Team's Ryan Taylor made in comments on the video.

This isn't just made up advice by the Dash community and the Dash Core Team, it is a best practice surroundning IT security and you won't find any credible person involved in the computer or crypto security communities advising not to do this.

Last edited:
The new encryption tutorial is done at
and explains the importance of encryption along with showing exactly how to do it and repeatedly mentioning the risks of losing access to the password to motivate the user to take action to make sure they never lose their password. I was defensive about suggesting encryption because I had my own masternode in a wallet that was not encrypted and this motivated me to move it today into one that is encrypted using the same methods to keep the password safe I show in the video. I appreciate your patience with me making this new tutorial and will reupload the entire 2 hour video with the new encryption tutorial instead of the original!

Back