• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Q3 Core Team Report Call

Thanks @kot.

To @pille , limited keypool issue is resolved with in 12.1.
Wallet does a keypool replenish and autobackup when keys are low, @UdjinM6 can you clarify this.

https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/882
Yes, in 0.12.1 user gets a warning if keypool size is down to 100 and mixing is paused until user clicks ok. At that point wallet tries to replenish keepool and to create new autobackup. If it failed to do so, mixing will stop at 50 keys threshold and will not allow to mix anymore until keypool is replenished. You can turn off the warning in settings but you can't turn off this "autobackup on mixing" feature, mixing with no autobackup is not allowed anymore (i.e. "-createwalletbackups=0" will disable mixing). Another part of it is that you can also specify a folder for autobackups via "-walletbackupsdir" option which would allow storing backups on another hard drive for example. This should be a life saver for those who'd like to use live usb mixing for some reason (live usb mixing is still not recommended since it's a very dangerous option and you really need to understand what you are doing to configure everything properly).

As Evan mentioned in the call we talked about implementing/backporting HD wallet seed from btc 0.13 (dash 0.12.1 is based on btc 0.12) but postponed this till later releases (12.2+) because of the amount of changes/conflicts to resolve in the underlying structures. HD wallet feature is nice but it's still heavily changing in btc and is not yet complete/user-friendly anyway afaik.

Yes, in 0.12.1 user gets a warning if keypool size is down to 100 and mixing is paused until user clicks ok. At that point wallet tries to replenish keepool and to create new autobackup. If it failed to do so, mixing will stop at 50 keys threshold and will not allow to mix anymore until keypool is replenished. You can turn off the warning in settings but you can't turn off this "autobackup on mixing" feature, mixing with no autobackup is not allowed anymore (i.e. "-createwalletbackups=0" will disable mixing). Another part of it is that you can also specify a folder for autobackups via "-walletbackupsdir" option which would allow storing backups on another hard drive for example. This should be a life saver for those who'd like to use live usb mixing for some reason (live usb mixing is still not recommended since it's a very dangerous option and you really need to understand what you are doing to configure everything properly).

As Evan mentioned in the call we talked about implementing/backporting HD wallet seed from btc 0.13 (dash 0.12.1 is based on btc 0.12) but postponed this till later releases (12.2+) because of the amount of changes/conflicts to resolve in the underlying structures. HD wallet feature is nice but it's still heavily changing in btc and is not yet complete/user-friendly anyway afaik.
Thanks udjin, maybe now is time to add that quick help/info button/icon to some where good place to wallet UI.;)

Like this: AjM, Jul 30, 2015 https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/v12-testing-thread.5484/page-67#post-61368

If I heard correctly, Evan has mentioned about the Core Team will open an office and get seed funding.

Does that conflict with decentralization?

If I heard correctly, Evan has mentioned about the Core Team will open an office and get seed funding.

I thought he once suggested (a while back), branch offices where people could carry out bank-like services.

I think you're referring to Evans's comment at 54:22?... the way I heard that was:
yes, 'an office will be opened' - as @GrandMasterDash says, this has been suggested a while back...
but not 'get seed funding' - he was saying this would make Dash more like a normal startup (that would get seed funding).

ie. normal startup company opens and office and gets seed funding; Dash already has funding just needs to open an office.

I think you're referring to Evans's comment at 54:22?... the way I heard that was:
yes, 'an office will be opened' - as @GrandMasterDash says, this has been suggested a while back...
but not 'get seed funding' - he was saying this would make Dash more like a normal startup (that would get seed funding).

ie. normal startup company opens and office and gets seed funding; Dash already has funding just needs to open an office.

Oh! Thank you very much and sorry for misunderstanding!

Back