• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternodes with offline (paper) wallets

Ra1

Can masternodes be run with offline paper wallets? If not, are there plans to support that in the future? I think it would be a great way to improve security of the masternodes.

cold storage/paperwallet Masternode are not currently supported.
there is the option of running a remote/local Masternode Setup where the 1000DRK don't have to be on the same machine that does the mixing (and has a publicly known ip). But the local wallet with the 1000DRK has to remain online aswell for the time being.
AFAIK Evan posted some time ago that cold storage is planned for a future version

"Evan posted some time ago that cold storage is planned for a future version"

I was just thinking of cold storage when it came to Masternodes today, glad to see it'll be in a future version. :)

Running this concept through my brain and I think I see a flaw..... could be wrong..... but

If the DASH is on Paper and not in a Qt then anybody with the MN info would be able to run the 'masternode start....' command(s) and send any MN to the end of the payout list, never to be paid.

Running this concept through my brain and I think I see a flaw..... could be wrong..... but

If the DASH is on Paper and not in a Qt then anybody with the MN info would be able to run the 'masternode start....' command(s) and send any MN to the end of the payout list, never to be paid.

Wouldn't you need the private key for the public address associated with that masternode in order to send the start command? If you had that, then you would just steal the 1,000 dash rather than bumping the node over and over.

Wouldn't you need the private key for the public address associated with that masternode in order to send the start command? If you had that, then you would just steal the 1,000 dash rather than bumping the node over and over.

The so called MN 'private key' is not the ACTUAL private key needed to steal the funds

The so called MN 'private key' is not the ACTUAL private key needed to steal the funds

Cool! So is that what the voting sites like dashwhale use? I've been afraid to use one because of not wanting to expose my "real key".

What about starting the masternode then removing the private key from QT?

I hate to ask this question but...
What's the average network data consumption requirements for running a qt wallet (that's the requirement, right?) continuously in support of a masternode? I'm data constrained believe it or not. And how intermittent can that wallet be?

Last edited:
I hate to ask this question but...
What's the average bandwidth requirements for running qt wallet (that's the requirement, right?) continuously in support of a masternode? I'm bandwidth contained believe it or not. And how intermittent can that wallet be?

You'll want 100-ish minimum

Any updates on the paper wallet but I see lot of interest now that big time investors are jumping on to dash
This is an interesting idea that I am considering whether to implement this feature in the future release of DashMasternodeTool application.

In this case, you would have two instances of the app: one offline, one online. A purpose of the online instance would be to prepare 'start masternode' message and sign it with a private key, imported from a paper wallet. In turn, a purpose of the online instance would be to broadcast that signed 'start masternode' message. A file with a signed message would be moved on a pendrive.

I do not promise yet whether and when I will implement it. First I have to investigate whether there are any constraints in the time between signing the message and its broadcasting on the network - in practice this activity will take at least a few minutes.

Master nodes give me the shivers. Will Dash ever get rid of them, or most here are a fan of them?
Getting rid of MasterNodes is like throwing all the nice features DASH has, out of the window. Features like InstantSend, PrivateSend and Decentralized Governance, without which DASH would be so feature-less like ... Bitcoin! :p

Back