• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why is the receive address different from the one I had ?

gass-dash

Hello all,

I'm a little bit confused and hope someone can help me understand. So, the thing is that I added an address to an exchange a couple of months ago for withdrawals and it has been working smoothly and incredibly fast. I actually withdraw today. But I just checked my address by clicking on the receive icon (in my Iphone) and that address is not the same from the one in the exchange.

So, my questions are:

- Did the wallet address (in my Iphone) change ? and if so, why ?

- Why are withdrawals working fine if my wallet has another address for receiving funds ?

Dash is UTXO based, not account based like Ethereum. To improve privacy, the wallet will always generate a new address for you, as you noticed, the old address still works. A note on terminology, a wallet is a just a collection of addresses.

Thanks @xkcd for the info! .. I have a few more questions:

- how are these new addresses generated ? .. if I click on the receive icon in the wallet the address shown is the same regardless of the amount of times I click on it. So, it seems to be time based rather than based on requests. Is it so ?

- is there a way to know which collection of addresses point to my account ?

- how are these new addresses generated ? .. if I click on the receive icon in the wallet the address shown is the same regardless of the amount of times I click on it. So, it seems to be time based rather than based on requests. Is it so ?

The addresses are generated based on the seed words using a 'derivation path', there are unlimited possible addresses that can be generated. The wallet will continue to show you the next 'unused' address, once a deposit is made to it, it will then show you the next address available and so on.

- is there a way to know which collection of addresses point to my account ?

No, that would be a privacy concern. To the outside observer, the addresses appear random and unrelated to each other, in your wallet, each address is remembered and usable by you. If you input the seed words into a new wallet, once synced, that new wallet should be able to regenerate all the addresses you had before and the balance restored.

Back