• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Wow, here is a security issue!

TanteStefana

Foundation Member
I'm trying to learn all I can about vulnerabilities in virtual private networks/computers, and I found that a log in /var/log/auth.log, where you can see people trying to hack into your server, also shows what you've typed into the console. In fact, I was shocked when I tried to encrypt my darkcoind wallet in my ec2, that what I typed was not hidden. After that, I found that information in the above auth.log as well as the debug log. The thing is, the debug log in the .darkcoin file is root only, but the above file in /var/log/auth.log is not. If anyone can get inside your server, they can download that file and extract a lot of information from it.

I've deleted the pertinent information in mine, so there is no record, I hope (though there probably is a way to get at it somehow)

In that log, I also see in the past week or so that I've been running this server, that I've had 5 entities from 5 different ip addresses try to crack into my server. I'm sure this is all normal, but it sure makes me uneasy.

a somber reality to face.

If you didn't use SecurityGroups on EC2 Management Console, you get a lot of ssh attemps.
Open ssh to specific ip address.
Use ssh key to access server(no password access permitted)

Uploading encrypted wallet to EC2 is preferred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back