• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

While Encrypting Wallet, Dash Core Froze. I Force Quit, Security Question

stellabelle

While I was encrypting my wallet on macbook pro, Dash Core program became unresponsive and froze up. I then force quit, uninstalled the Dash Core wallet, put it in trash, downloaded it again, started over, thinking that I would re-enter the passphrase.

I was shocked to discover that the newest Dash Core I just downloaded had retained my encryption password, and the passphrase works. My question is, because I force quit while the encryption process was going, I never got the normal windows saying that the encryption was complete. I am now worried that something might be wrong since I force quit after my computer froze up. Everything seems to be working ok, but since I'm not a computer expert, I am unsure if my wallet is set up properly. Any advice would be welcome.

Did this happen because my wallet address is tied to my IP address??????

It is the wallet.dat itself which is encrypted not the software that you download from the website. That is why your wallet was still encrypted and the passphrase unchanged even after you re-downloaded the software.

Secondly, the wallet is probably fine as... but if you want to be 100% sure about the fidelity of the wallet, in other words eliminate any possibility of corruption, then you can do the following:

1) Send the funds to another wallet you own (on a different device)

2) Close the wallet on your mac

3) Move (not copy) the wallet.dat to a different location (i.e. your mac's desktop)

4) Reopen the mac wallet software (new wallet.dat will be created)

5) Encrypt the empty wallet.dat on your mac (for safety in case it freezes again)

6) If everything looks good then send the funds back to the mac from the other device.

7) After you backup the new mac wallet.dat you can delete the old one on the desktop.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
agree to above

PS:
the wallet does NOT freeze when you encrypt
it just needs time to do so - so the "ball" (on Mac) might be spinning and this will take a while , but it is all part of the process do NOT force quit , let run until finished !!

Steps 6/7 should be done in opposite order: 1st backup and make sure wallet opens/unlocks with no issues and only then send any funds to it.
I would also recommend to send a small portion first (e.g. 0.1 DASH) to make sure they arrive and can be spent (just pay to yourself from the encrypted wallet to make sure).
Yes, this would require to pay fees few times but this could prevent much larger loss of funds if smth was not right.

Steps 6/7 should be done in opposite order: 1st backup and make sure wallet opens/unlocks with no issues and only then send any funds to it.
I would also recommend to send a small portion first (e.g. 0.1 DASH) to make sure they arrive and can be spent (just pay to yourself from the encrypted wallet to make sure).
Yes, this would require to pay fees few times but this could prevent much larger loss of funds if smth was not right.

Thank you! I'll test it out as you instructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree to above

PS:
the wallet does NOT freeze when you encrypt
it just needs time to do so - so the "ball" (on Mac) might be spinning and this will take a while , but it is all part of the process do NOT force quit , let run until finished !!

I already forced quit..... the wallet seems to function though. The amount of time it was taking seemed excessive and my computer indicated it was no longer responding...thanks for your input though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I searched my computer for wallet.dat file and came up empty. However, I tested the wallet, sent some Dash to it, and from it, and both transactions went smoothly. I'm able to lock and unlock it without issues, so I believe it's ok! Thanks for your help.

Back