• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The wonderful world of dash mixing - 92 inputs!

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
Welcome to the wonderful world of financial privacy.

Mixed funds, sent a few hundred dollars, 92 inputs!

"Warning: Using CoinJoin with 10 or more inputs can harm your privacy and is not recommended"

I don't really understand how people can still do heavy mixing (for example mixing 1000 dash to setup a masternode) and have a practical solution to that warning that will undoubtedly pop-up.

How can you PrivateSend a high dash amount that has been mixed with a high number of mixing rounds (8 rounds or more) and in the end still remain under those 10 inputs, when sending a specific high dash amount through one single transaction ?

And why have the wallet issue this warning and not mention to users what they are suppose to do now. Not exactly user-friendly...

Last edited:
Yes, totally, and it wasn't even that large amount, just a few hundred dollars.

It irks me that Ryan previously defended Chainalysis (and others) while making the subject of their work invisible to dash's end users. As a user it would help to get a handle on how clear or mixed my money is. And yes, as you say, how I am supposed to rectify things.

Someone the other day questioned my forum signature, this here is just one reason. By modern standards, privacy should be frictionless to the end user.

@GrandMasterDash
What does Ryan has to do with the mixing algorithm inconvenience you have experienced and described here?
When did Ryan hide anything about Chainalysis?

You are randomly putting a blame on him to vent out your frustration.

See : https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/3728 (read the comments)

What ever happened to 'Click to learn more' that troydash suggested and xdustinface (a developer ?) showed us is possible to implement ?

@strophy & @Pasta : looks like those changes in v0.16 did nothing to the frequency of this CoinJoin warning and what users should do next after receiving such CoinJoin warning is still unclear as f.

Maybe the CoinJoin warning could state if users are mixing with a high number of mixing rounds (8 rounds or more ?), that they can ignore this warning ?
If it indeed can be ignored then.

To be honest i am still in favor for a 'Click to learn more' link, that gives users specific instructions on how to proceed, after receiving such a CoinJoin warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: kot
@GrandMasterDash
What does Ryan has to do with the mixing algorithm inconvenience you have experienced and described here?
When did Ryan hide anything about Chainalysis?

You are randomly putting a blame on him to vent out your frustration.

As CEO, Ryan took responsibility for strategy. He played a strategy to frame and contain privacy and fungibility.

By partnering with BlockCypher, BlockchainIntel and Chainalysis, DCG / Ryan held a view that compliance tools - re: financial spyware - would open doors to exchanges and institutional investors. Sounds potentially useful until you realize these were not two-way relationships. Dash customers would never have access to the same tools or have any influence over how those tools were used. For example, a dash wallet could indicate a level of privacy / fungibility on every transaction.

To my knowledge, none of these tools were ever open sourced. Of course, they never would be open sourced and customers would never be on an equal footing with the banks and exchanges they used. The entire existing financial system is designed and executed to have house advantage; to create an information divide with different rules for banks and plebs. The Bank Secrecy Act and the various amendments shows us the truth.

All this must be weighed by the invisible, the omissions and the in-actions of DCG to make any meaningful improvements to dash's privacy and user experience. Knowing the extensive capability of the enemy, why were ZKPs or MimbleWimble never pursued? To this day, the UX sucks and the utility constrained. There are no stealth addresses and no recipient guarantees.

Side note, Karen Hsu of BlockCypher went on to become CEO of BlockchainIntel. She has established connections with Chainalysis and various governments agencies in the US, Canada and asia. I would be grateful if anyone can provide further info / links that we may establish her MO and her influence on DCG.

References:

Dash and BlockchainIntel Establish Partnership to Strengthen Trust Across Cryptocurrency Ecosystem

Chainalysis has Introduced Investigation and Compliance Support for Dash!

Inside Chainalysis’ Multimillion-Dollar Relationship With the US Government

Bank Secrecy Act

We are committed to increasing trust in your blockchain data and networks.

Back