• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Temporarily moving masternode to another machine

KryptoTypek

The server on which I run my MN will be down for about 4 hours. Would it be possible to run the MN on a different machine (with a different IP) during this time without losing the earnings for the current period?

Or in other words. If I stop my MN and start it on a different IP, will the network recognize it as the same MN?

I was hoping for someone with better knowledge (for instance one of the devs) to answer this. After all, it should not be hard to answer if you understand how MNs work under the hood. But since nobody bothered, I had to go with trial and error. What I found out was: Yes, if you change the masternodes IP, it is still recognized as the same MN. I'm not sure whether it loses its spot in the payment queue though.

I was hoping for someone with better knowledge (for instance one of the devs) to answer this. After all, it should not be hard to answer if you understand how MNs work under the hood. But since nobody bothered, I had to go with trial and error. What I found out was: Yes, if you change the masternodes IP, it is still recognized as the same MN. I'm not sure whether it loses its spot in the payment queue though.

I dunno how your post slipped past unnoticed.. but anyway, I'm pretty sure it took you to the back of the queue.. am happy to be corrected.

Is the payment queue linked to masternode IP or collateral public key?

Is the question I guess, sorry can't help. Bump for answers! :D

I have just remembers something. Back when the Dash network was getting DDOS'd I remember someone saying that if an IP was attacked, that the masternode operator would have an hour to move to a new IP and maintain their position in the queue. So, I think you might be in luck!

Back