• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Quick Checkup for MN Setup (plus a few questions!)

Morritt

Hi all, sorry my first time posting, have been lurking in the background but not found a reason to register till now.

I have a few questions before I finalize my setup (have the DRK ready to send, but I'm wary of doing so till I'm sure nobody will just swipe my coins!).

Wallets on local machine, and remote server all up to date, both are encrypted.

Remote conf
-----
rpcuser=<my masternode username>
rpcpassword=<my masternode password>
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
externalip=<had to add this as the machine picks up local IP address instead of correct external address, works fine>
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=<my masternode key>
-----

Local conf
-----
rpcuser=<my masternode username, same as above>
rpcpassword=<my masternode password, same as above>
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=<my masterbnode key, same as above>
masternodeaddr=<my masternode external address>:9999
-----

Both wallets start up ok, with [masternode] displayed in the title bar.

Now, the wallet is not yet funded (either local or remote, 0 coins till I'm happy it's secure and I'll transfer them), so I can see in the logs that it's complaining about the balance, fine with that.

I have used "getaccountaddress 0" to generate an address on my _local_ wallet, I assume this is correct, the masternode needs to hold no funds? So the coins are safe in my local wallet.

However, I cannot start the masternode (apart from the balance thing) without unlocking the remote wallet, should I have to do this step? Should the wallet be encrypted (I assume so), and when unlocking, there is the option of "For anynomization only", should this remain unchecked?

When attempting to start the masternode from my local machine, I get:

"not capable masternode: Unknown."

And on the remote machine I see this in the log:

"not capable: Wallet is locked."

Fine, I unlock the wallet, retry from local machine I still see:

But on the remote server, the message is (trimmed down for easier reading) just about the balance:

"Could not locate specified vin from possible list"
"Could not find suitable coins!"

So it looks like it is working, but only if I unlock the remote wallet.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice that you can offer, I'd just like to have this whole thing safely locked down before I risk 1000 DRK on it!

Your coins are safe on your local wallet as long as it is encrypted with a strong passphrase and backed up. The remote doesn't hold the coins, nor does it need to be encrypted--simply put, don't bother with encryption on the remote. Since you already have it encrypted, delete the wallet.dat file on the remote and regenerate a new one, this time without encryption. You need to send the 1k to the local address and after 15 confirms, you can initiate the masternode start command (do it in the debug window with the passphrase afterward and it will unlock to start the masternode before relocking). As long as everything else was setup correctly, you should be able to grep your ip address in the masternode list on remote and see a 1.

Hi all, sorry my first time posting, have been lurking in the background but not found a reason to register till now.

I have a few questions before I finalize my setup (have the DRK ready to send, but I'm wary of doing so till I'm sure nobody will just swipe my coins!).

Wallets on local machine, and remote server all up to date, both are encrypted.

Remote conf
-----
rpcuser=<my masternode username>
rpcpassword=<my masternode password>
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
externalip=<had to add this as the machine picks up local IP address instead of correct external address, works fine>
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=<my masternode key>
-----

Local conf
-----
rpcuser=<my masternode username, same as above>
rpcpassword=<my masternode password, same as above>
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=<my masterbnode key, same as above>
masternodeaddr=<my masternode external address>:9999
-----

Both wallets start up ok, with [masternode] displayed in the title bar.

Now, the wallet is not yet funded (either local or remote, 0 coins till I'm happy it's secure and I'll transfer them), so I can see in the logs that it's complaining about the balance, fine with that.

I have used "getaccountaddress 0" to generate an address on my _local_ wallet, I assume this is correct, the masternode needs to hold no funds? So the coins are safe in my local wallet.

However, I cannot start the masternode (apart from the balance thing) without unlocking the remote wallet, should I have to do this step? Should the wallet be encrypted (I assume so), and when unlocking, there is the option of "For anynomization only", should this remain unchecked?

When attempting to start the masternode from my local machine, I get:

And on the remote machine I see this in the log:

"not capable: Wallet is locked."

Fine, I unlock the wallet, retry from local machine I still see:

But on the remote server, the message is (trimmed down for easier reading) just about the balance:

"Could not locate specified vin from possible list"
"Could not find suitable coins!"

So it looks like it is working, but only if I unlock the remote wallet.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice that you can offer, I'd just like to have this whole thing safely locked down before I risk 1000 DRK on it!

Can you please start working on "rebranding" the guide ?!
that would be great and super appreciated
Tx

Back