• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Prove to me dash usernames will work

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
AFAIK, dash usernames are planned to be relatively cheap and by invitation. I am very concerned about this process.

First, let's look at how first mover worked for bitcoin. Despite it's technical shortcomings, bitcoin became sought after as the "original". When people realized they missed the boat, everything else became their second chance of becoming billionaires. And yes, we can equally justify why Product A2 is better than Product A1.

More so, the bitcoin maxis divided us, they named everything else the "alts", solidifying the concept of "original". But we were bold and defiant to prove our worth in the world... along with the thousands of other projects claiming to be easier, faster, safer. The search for innovation came at the price of endless "money printing", the sum supply of all alts.

My second example is the search for a better DNS. Many years prior to namecoin, there were several alternative domain name services. In all cases they required users to change DNS settings or install software to intercept requests. Needless to say, without tight integration into browsers by defaulit, they all failed. Having said that, they may of forced the hand of ICANN to open up to the multitude of TLDs we have today.

DNS has shortcomings, much like bitcoin has shortcomings, yet it lives on.

Enter Handshake, Yet Another DNS: https://handshake.org/

Perhaps best to take a look at how much these names are selling for. Not bad for a coin ranked #308 https://www.namebase.io/

They have achieved integrations with big registrars such Namecheap. Does dash have that? But "oh" you say, "our use case is different"... no it isn't.

How about ENS or Filecoin, Yet Another DNS.

Do you see what is happening? Just like the "alts", our second chance to become billionaires and continually fooling ourselves how X is better than Y.

Hello Dash, can I have a short memorable relevant username? No Sir, all the short ones, all the meaningful ones, were taken, forever. But you can have "Alice99ccc".

Right now, I think the best investment the DIF could make right now is to actually buy into a DNS registrar.

AFAIK, dash usernames are planned to be relatively cheap and by invitation. I am very concerned about this process.

First, let's look at how first mover worked for bitcoin. Despite it's technical shortcomings, bitcoin became sought after as the "original". When people realized they missed the boat, everything else became their second chance of becoming billionaires. And yes, we can equally justify why Product A2 is better than Product A1.

More so, the bitcoin maxis divided us, they named everything else the "alts", solidifying the concept of "original". But we were bold and defiant to prove our worth in the world... along with the thousands of other projects claiming to be easier, faster, safer. The search for innovation came at the price of endless "money printing", the sum supply of all alts.

My second example is the search for a better DNS. Many years prior to namecoin, there were several alternative domain name services. In all cases they required users to change DNS settings or install software to intercept requests. Needless to say, without tight integration into browsers by defaulit, they all failed. Having said that, they may of forced the hand of ICANN to open up to the multitude of TLDs we have today.

DNS has shortcomings, much like bitcoin has shortcomings, yet it lives on.

Enter Handshake, Yet Another DNS: https://handshake.org/

Perhaps best to take a look at how much these names are selling for. Not bad for a coin ranked #308 https://www.namebase.io/

They have achieved integrations with big registrars such Namecheap. Does dash have that? But "oh" you say, "our use case is different"... no it isn't.

How about ENS or Filecoin, Yet Another DNS.

Do you see what is happening? Just like the "alts", our second chance to become billionaires and continually fooling ourselves how X is better than Y.

Hello Dash, can I have a short memorable relevant username? No Sir, all the short ones, all the meaningful ones, were taken, forever. But you can have "Alice99ccc".

Right now, I think the best investment the DIF could make right now is to actually buy into a DNS registrar.

There is an effort by some MNOs to do just that, buy the .dash TLD.

Back