• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Please help with missing dash

starkast

Back in 2014 I acquired about 70 Dash and I recall attempting to use the darksend mixing feature. I don't remember the outcome, I just have a vague memory that something didn't look right when I was done. I never got back to it and I've since had to wipe my computer. I have now successfully(?) restored my Dash wallet and it looks like the attached image below... Is there any way to recover my Dash? I tried a few searches, but Im not really sure what Im even looking for... Thanks for any help!
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 7.15.45 AM.png

I'm guessing your wallet is safely backed up, it would be worth trying some of the repair options in the tools menu, Tools>Wallet Repair. The 2 "Recover transactions" options or the "Rescan blockchain files" will probably fix it.

EDIT: That bottom transaction doesn't look right, the -70.001.. Could you right click on that one in the "Transactions" tab and forward the "Show transaction details"? Looks like it's a regular spend.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I've actually tried both the "Recover Transactions" options... haven't tried "Rescan blockchain files" will do.

Sry, edited my post after I sent it, the -70.001 transaction looks like (edit) a regular transaction sent to yourself but hasn't registered as coming back to you for some reason, could you check the details of that one? A block explorer will show what happened to it after that transaction, whether it was spent again and when etc.
https://explorer.dashninja.pl/chain/Dash

Last edited:
Sry, edited my post after I sent it, the -70.001 transaction looks like (edit) a regular transaction sent to yourself but hasn't registered as coming back to you for some reason, could you check the details of that one? A block explorer will show what happened to it after that transaction, whether it was spent again and when etc.
https://explorer.dashninja.pl/chain/Dash

The Transaction details shows this
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 9.11.53 PM.png

Which that transaction ID doesn't get any results in any blockchain explorer unless the "-000" from the end is removed?

d2c9e9ee8df2547adef8ad4bb91c3751c1eae4de89008f44855f37dd38a381f9

And then I find a long loop of in-out transactions, which I gave up trying to click though... this is the result of my mixing I presume?

I also noticed that I actually started with 97 some Dash, and here is a complete history of my wallet:

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 9.18.28 PM.png

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/t...bb91c3751c1eae4de89008f44855f37dd38a381f9.htm
This 70 coins were splited into denominations and were simply mixed, what the problem here is, you have loaded the backuped wallet which has no addresses that have been created after the mixing was done, so get the more earlier backup wallet if you have it or I do not see it bright.
I lost this way a nice bunch of coins ~700 haven`t backuped the wallet after 3 days of mixing and had some crash when I backuped the wallet the coins were not there anymore as I exceeded the keys in the wallet.
When mixing be sure to backup often or refill the keys.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/t...bb91c3751c1eae4de89008f44855f37dd38a381f9.htm
This 70 coins were splited into denominations and were simply mixed, what the problem here is, you have loaded the backuped wallet which has no addresses that have been created after the mixing was done, so get the more earlier backup wallet if you have it or I do not see it bright.
I lost this way a nice bunch of coins ~700 haven`t backuped the wallet after 3 days of mixing and had some crash when I backuped the wallet the coins were not there anymore as I exceeded the keys in the wallet.
When mixing be sure to backup often or refill the keys.

Ouch, sad to hear. The client now does automated backups (in the .dash/backups folder) so there's some protection from that happening but was that in the client back in 2014? Saddly it's likely those coins are gone @starkast unless you have a more recent backup :/

Thanks for the info gentlemen... unfortunately I don't think I have anything else as a backup, but there are some places I should look...

Check all you have to, it`s worth of your time.

As a default wallet you get 1000 keys (addresses) when someone mixes quite much and excedes this amount he risks on thing that after taking yhe backup wallet he might not see his coins anymore.
Adding the more keys in your wallet prevents this kind of bad experience.
The next version of the client actually solves this problem once for all.

I have recently exhausted all possible places for other backups. The only backup I have is from prior to my "Darksend Mixing" attempt. Is there any hope of recovery?

And... if there is no hope of recovery, how did this happen and how can I make sure to avoid it in the future?

this happened to me too recently
all u can do is save the wallet.dat after mixing again (USB or wherever as the 'new' wallet.dat has new /more keys than the old one )
without that you have nothing
(lost 20 !! after all these years being here :()

Another thing that's been troubling me is in the screenshot at the top of this post. The red "n/a" transactions were there back in 2014 directly after the initial mixing. Based on my responses here it seems like the dash never came back? Such that even if I did have a backup made after the mixing... is this possible?

Another thing that's been troubling me is in the screenshot at the top of this post. The red "n/a" transactions were there back in 2014 directly after the initial mixing. Based on my responses here it seems like the dash never came back? Such that even if I did have a backup made after the mixing... is this possible?

no
i had the same thing
if u do not have that "current" (after mixing) wallet.dat you do not have those keys created - hence - in your "old" wallwt.dat it looks like they never came back
(they did - but to the new keys u do not have in your old wallet.dat)

Back