• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Newbie question about masternode setup

BeachM

Hey guys,

Please forgive me if this question has been answered already. I've been reading TAO's excellent MN setup guide and just wanted clarification on a part of the process.

From what i understand so far you generate a pub/priv key on your local wallet then send 1000 DASH to the pub address.

Now this is the bit that confuses me, you put your private key in a config file which is uploaded to the remote server. I must be missing something here, wouldn't that mean your priv key is no longer cold as it has been transferred over the net and is now sitting on the remote server in a config file?

Hello :)

go to your debug window

write
Code:
masternode genkey

you do not provide you private key of the pub address where the 1000 coins are.
This code is nothing but do not give it to noone as using it someone can take down your node or vote using it etc.... but your coins are safe anyway.

Hope it explaind enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeachM Thank you for using my guide! Hope you found it easy to use.

They are right, you have nothing to worry about by sharing your Masternode key.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the clarification everything made sense after running through Tao's guide. Master node is now up and running :)

I changed the procedure slightly and generated the wallet in a clean Ubuntu instance. Although it was a steeper learning curve being a linux newbie I thought it was worth the extra effort and peace of mind not having to trust a non-fresh windows instance.

Thanks splawik21 & MrZilch for the quick replies and TaoOfSatoshi for the excellent guide.

Super excited to be a part of the dash community, keep up the good work!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the clarification everything made sense after running through Tao's guide. Master node is now up and running :)

I changed the procedure slightly and generated the wallet in a clean Ubuntu instance. Although it was a steeper learning curve being a linux newbie I thought it was worth the extra effort and peace of mind not having to trust a non-fresh windows instance.

Thanks splawik21 & MrZilch for the quick replies and TaoOfSatoshi for the excellent guide.

Super excited to be a part of the dash community, keep up the good work!
Great to hear! Enjoy the Masternode payments...

Our community is one of the greatest value in crypto world.
Pleasure to help you.
Have a bannana smile on your face in next 6 days once your first MN payment occurs :D

Back