• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Missing Dash from KeepKey

Jonathan Cole

Hello, I'm not sure what happened to my Dash. I've recently converted A LOT of Ether to Dash using the shapeshift feature that is built into the KeepKey. The transactions seemed to go through fine and I confirmed the Dash on my KeepKey and then unplugged it for cold storage. Just today I plugged it in to check on my balance and all the Dash that I had converted is missing from the Dash wallet balance. It just vanished!! I looked at the Dash block explorer and I can see my wallet address and it shows my total Dash amount to be correct at 231.XXX Dash. So the blockchain looks right. The strange thing is that my KeepKey is not showing any transactions earlier than 3/6/17, and this missing Dash was confirmed on 3/4/17. So my KeepKey isn't showing me what I should be seeing as confirmed in the Dash Block Explorer! I'm so confused! What happened to my Dash?? Can anyone shed light on this issue and propose a way to either get it back or get my KeepKey to show whats shown on the blockchain in the address that the KeepKey itself generated??

I have my recovery sentence for the keepkey, will this help me get these funds back? Any help to give me a deeper understanding of what's going on would be greatly appreciated! I'm still kind of new to understanding how this all works (blockchain data and how it relates to my keepkey device). As far as I'm concerned my Dash was in cold storage, and then it just vanished!!

Please help! I would post a link to the block explorer for my wallet, but I'm not sure if that will be a theft risk? Like I said, I'm a NB.

Thanks,
Jonathan

By the way, I didn't say how much money went missing... 231 Dash or about $12,000 USD. This this is a VERY BIG PROBLEM if I can't get it back...

So this one was odd. I don't have more info to write up, but it seems something went wrong with the keepkey or another state change occurred that I can't account for.

--- troubleshooting steps

1) Keepkey windows app doesn't show his expected balance.
The transactions it does list are all dated after the missing funds.

2) Try a few things in app, click refresh button, etc.: no joy.

3) Have him wipe and recover using his 12 words. : no joy.
Same transaction list and balance as before.

4) Plug his 12 words into https://iancoleman.github.io/bip39/

5) SUCCESS. Missing funds sitting pretty in address m/44'/5'/0'/0/8

6) Imported WIF to dash core, -rescan, control of all coins recovered.

UPDATE: 48 hours after recovery of my funds using https://iancoleman.github.io/bip39/ with my recovery sentence, the KeepKey started working again and resynced with my transaction history. Out of nowhere, it just fixed itself for no apparent reason. So needless to say I DO NOT TRUST THIS DEVICE. And I will be getting a Trezor as per moocowmoo's advice. I hope this info is helpful for anyone out there having a similar issue. If it happens to you, DON'T PANIC. Reach out to moocowmoo on this forum and he will set you straight. He's amazing and super honest. THANK YOU again moocowmoo, you effin' rock!!

UPDATE: Come Monday, the people at KeepKey reached out to me personally via email and also via phone to deeply apologize for the glitch. The Dash wallet is still in beta, so apparently the device was not syncing with the Dash blockchain. This was a problem with something on the KeepKey's server side of things (as per my limited understanding). They issued a fix for this issue and the sync is back to normal. They also issued me a refund for the cost of the device and let me know I should keep the KeepKey and continue using it. Doug (at KeepKey) also gave me his direct extension and said if anything goes wrong in the future, that I should contact him directly and he will assist any time 24/7. So... I feel MUCH better about the device now and also about KeepKey's commitment to great customer service. They won me back. I did purchase a Trezor in the interim while I was waiting to hear back from them, so at this point I'll see how the Trezor UI compares to the KeepKey and go one or the other. But if you are on the fence about using a KeepKey, hopefully my experience will help you make an informed decision. GREAT customer support, a beautifully designed UI and a well engineered device, with a price point similar to the Trezor. I'm not faulting KeepKey for the temporary glitch, the Dash support is still in beta, so minor bugs are to be expected.

UPDATE: Come Monday, the people at KeepKey reached out to me personally via email and also via phone to deeply apologize for the glitch. The Dash wallet is still in beta, so apparently the device was not syncing with the Dash blockchain. This was a problem with something on the KeepKey's server side of things (as per my limited understanding). They issued a fix for this issue and the sync is back to normal. They also issued me a refund for the cost of the device and let me know I should keep the KeepKey and continue using it. Doug (at KeepKey) also gave me his direct extension and said if anything goes wrong in the future, that I should contact him directly and he will assist any time 24/7. So... I feel MUCH better about the device now and also about KeepKey's commitment to great customer service. They won me back. I did purchase a Trezor in the interim while I was waiting to hear back from them, so at this point I'll see how the Trezor UI compares to the KeepKey and go one or the other. But if you are on the fence about using a KeepKey, hopefully my experience will help you make an informed decision. GREAT customer support, a beautifully designed UI and a well engineered device, with a price point similar to the Trezor. I'm not faulting KeepKey for the temporary glitch, the Dash support is still in beta, so minor bugs are to be expected.

I have zero experience with KeepKey and perhaps I've misunderstood, but are you saying the KeepKey hardware is dependent on a KeepKey specific service?

I have no idea. The only reason I said that was because the KeepKey tech support said there was a bug in the sync to the Dash blockchain and they fixed it. However I didn't do a firmware flash, so... That leads me to believe they had something to do with the fix on their end, hence my perhaps erroneous belief that maybe they have a server. ??? Dunno...

Now you know as much as I do.

I have zero experience with KeepKey and perhaps I've misunderstood, but are you saying the KeepKey hardware is dependent on a KeepKey specific service?

Keepkey App uses Blockcyper as backend service.
https://blog.blockcypher.com/keepke...pher-s-infrastructure-4d9424df66b4#.e97dcr2ye

All apps with hw wallet need backend block explorer service to get a list of unspent txs.

When backend block explorer has a problem, can't see exact amount of funds that a hw wallet holds.

Back