• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mining with free electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

epl

Hello everybody

I am thinking to build a rig using 10x R9 280x. My electricity is completely free but I am not sure if it is worth to mine at all or it is better to buy the coins directly and forget about free electricity. What do you think guyz?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really.. I can make maximum 218 coins annually but I can buy 550-600 coins instead of building the rig (and I don't need to wait 2 years)
Please correct me if I am wrong
I think your answering your own question. What do you want to get out of mining, experience and being a part of something?
If you want to get DRK now and have them grow instead of waiting for mining returns, invest in a share of a master node.
I'm waiting for a few more trades to go through myself to get a stash of DASH behind me and then will be looking at Master node investing:cool:

I think your answering your own question. What do you want to get out of mining, experience and being a part of something?
If you want to get DRK now and have them grow instead of waiting for mining returns, invest in a share of a master node.
I'm waiting for a few more trades to go through myself to get a stash of DASH behind me and then will be looking at Master node investing:cool:
The best thing I got out of mining was a deeper understanding of how the blockchain works.

Not really.. I can make maximum 218 coins annually but I can buy 550-600 coins instead of building the rig (and I don't need to wait 2 years)
Please correct me if I am wrong
If you want to cloud mine as I do, you can try EOBOT.
I have 3 accounts with the largest pointed at DRK.
They also have a hack wallet
What happens if Eobot gets hacked?
We have a 200 BTC "hack wallet" designated specifically for our users in the event we get successfully hacked and lose customer's coins. This is a "cold wallet" and not accessible from the codebase. This wallet is separate from our main site's cold wallet, holding 589 BTC. We will always make all attempts to repay customers in the event of our negligence, so this is an additional buffer above and beyond. For instance, let's say our DOGE wallet has a vulnerability and we lose all of our user's DOGE balances and funds. We would dip into the 200 BTC "hack wallet" set aside specifically for this purpose, which is meant to help ease any customer concerns.
My stats
https://www.eobot.com/user/50989
Cloud SHA-256
Current Speed:
2139.1413 GHS
Hourly Rate:$ 0.07272869
Daily Rate:$ 1.74548864
Monthly Rate:$ 53.23740365
Yearly Rate:$ 638.84884380

Does it mean that mining(in small scale) is not worth at all even if you don't pay for the electricity? :confused:
Might be worth doing, lets say you have a couple of spare GPU's and an old tower, you will still have hot stressed PSU's and motherboards wearing out faster-even a minor part like a small cheap fan is going to be 3 or 4 darkcoin-so even thats going to take you over 2 weeks to get back at current prices.
I see it as a good top up when owning only 1 or 2 masternodes for extra Darkcoin, if you're owning 20 nodes you might not want to bother any more :rolleyes:

Operations with using your own electricity will be a loss, however, if share price goes way up, it could be a win is the way I'm looking at it... I wish I had free electricity, then it would be all very worthwhile.

This subject has been on my mind for months now, as it is so frustrating (GPU mining limitations). I own 1.1 Acres of land, which is a long rectangular piece of property with lots of trees behind the house. Roughly half the property is grass, the rest are trees going downhill from there. I have hashed (haha) over and over in my mind if it would be worth it to put up solar panels on just my garage area as I own a pretty large home, and tie this back into the electrical grid. Where I live, it is mandatory that a professional installer come out to put them up and there are some tax advantages (this year) for fed and state, but honestly, I don't like the looks of them on my house, I'd rather have the ones on the ground that hold about 10-12 panels each (2), but I'm afraid one of the kids would hit a baseball and smash them in or something. I have a guy coming over this month to give me quotes, as one panel will give you only about 300Watts (not much), but if there was a way you could just offset the electricity bill you could eventually be profitable, if GPUs can be used for a few more years for mining.... It's the only thing I can think of besides a windmill, which, in my area, wind speeds are not very high. But it is always sunny where I live. Just throwing that out there. I also have ideas about channeling heat for the rigs and I have a brand new FLIR cam (30K) I can use to do some research that I will be borrowing from work, I'll write that up in another long winded message once I get the data, as the heat could certainly be used in the winter, or simply vented outside via hood in the summertime....Tup

This subject has been on my mind for months now, as it is so frustrating (GPU mining limitations). I own 1.1 Acres of land, which is a long rectangular piece of property with lots of trees behind the house. Roughly half the property is grass, the rest are trees going downhill from there. I have hashed (haha) over and over in my mind if it would be worth it to put up solar panels on just my garage area as I own a pretty large home, and tie this back into the electrical grid. Where I live, it is mandatory that a professional installer come out to put them up and there are some tax advantages (this year) for fed and state, but honestly, I don't like the looks of them on my house, I'd rather have the ones on the ground that hold about 10-12 panels each (2), but I'm afraid one of the kids would hit a baseball and smash them in or something. I have a guy coming over this month to give me quotes, as one panel will give you only about 300Watts (not much), but if there was a way you could just offset the electricity bill you could eventually be profitable, if GPUs can be used for a few more years for mining.... It's the only thing I can think of besides a windmill, which, in my area, wind speeds are not very high. But it is always sunny where I live. Just throwing that out there. I also have ideas about channeling heat for the rigs and I have a brand new FLIR cam (30K) I can use to do some research that I will be borrowing from work, I'll write that up in another long winded message once I get the data, as the heat could certainly be used in the winter, or simply vented outside via hood in the summertime....

I like the idea of solar but not much sun in the UK, remember even solar panels watts/$ obeys Moores law, I roughly worked out that the cost per watt would half in 10 years.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-faster-does-moores-law-apply-to-solar-cells/

You will get way more bang per buck with some solar water heating if thats useful, and look into ground source heating for winter time and also if gas is available and cheap you can use one of these to get about 1 kilowatt of power for 25 kilowatts of heating using combined boiler/stirling engine technology.
A combination of these should lower bills significantly its just a question of cost installing them!

http://www.baxi.co.uk/renewables/combined-heat-and-power/ecogen.htm[/QUOTE]

Very interesting reading. I used to live in upstate NY for 25+ years, and I believe we had the same type foggy, cloudy cold weather similar to UK, then I moved south where the weather is great, it's always sunny here, just a little too humid in aug (which effects solar cell power output in a negative way ) there is a window of opportunity here in the USA,where the government will pay for a certain percentage of the installation as long as it's done by a licensed "professional". Also, every year you get a fed 30 percent tax rebate, and state is 20percent rebate, so if I did it right now, it maybe a good window of time to pull the trigger on it,. But even after all the rebates, tax write offs etc, it is still very expensive and one panel will only generate 300Watts, plus any surplus electricity you sell back to the electric company, you must pay taxes on !! At any rate, I may actually do it just on my garage and then you can always "add on" or replace with more efficient panels as they hopefully get more efficient.
I used to make and design Hydrogen Fuel Cells for Hydrogenics/GM in NY, and man, if there was only a way you could just "collect" hydrogen easily, that would be the way to go. Very simple (and expensive) to make fuel cell stacks though because of platinum, flow fields etc , I could make fuel cells in my sleep when I worked there,, but you have to heat them up to 80C otherwise they would never generate amp output. If you had pure o2 flowing on one side and h2 on the other, you could really have huge power outputs. anyway i'm rambling about my past life, lol....
hydrogenics.com

this is really cool stuff, Sub http://www.baxi.co.uk/renewables/combined-heat-and-power/ecogen.htm natural gas is cheep in my area, I have not heard of this,maybe this is the solution, do you know of anyone that has used one, reliability etc?
I did know someone actually, don't think he had many problems with the stirling engine gas boiler config-be aware the power output is fairly low at around 1 kilowatt and I think the boiler has to be fully on at same time but there may be exceptions to that. He did say don't bother getting a small wind turbine because they are a waste of time though.
The pricey installation was offset by government grants, you could find out what they'd pay towards one (if anything)

Btw, cool you worked on hydrogen fuel cells , am impressed,but like you say, you need lots of cheap or free hydrogen for that 1 to be viable!

Hydrogen fuel cells were really cool to test, as I would be part of the "small scale" design and I was assigned to build them from scratch and put them on the test stand and collect data. You would not believe how much current just one cell can generate. Then to stack them up on a large scale, it could power industrial buildings for backup systems. Since we were trying to make them usable in the automotive industry, there were some major hang ups that came about. One, was the cells had to always be heated to 80C, and the air coming in had to be humidified at a certain percentage (I can't remember what that was, been since 2002). Also, shorts would happen in a cell and since they were all in series, it was a major problem and a bitch to fix lol!. But yeah, buying tanks of Hydrogen could be done, I think I could do the setups, but the membranes are made out of platinum and are very expensive, plus you need special die cutters etc for the anode/cathode etc. Maybe someday it will be a viable solution, but it just costs too much to "make" hydrogen. I will have to look into the stirling engine, I got some time off soon, and I will probably really dig into it, Solar is still an option too, it's just I'm still not sure where I would place the cells....anyway, have a good weekend...TUP

I guess the best option is always to delegate the work to a company. They will upgrade the hardware and care about maintenance, I'm happy with my Genesis Mining Payouts. If you are interested to give a look on the site and use this code to have the 3% discount: DfViAU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back