• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Masternodes Capabilities as network attacker

jk404

I am confused on the capabilities that a masternode owner might have when it comes to instantSent or privateSend.

1) I want to know if is possible to setup the masternode configuration file in a way that you write code for example so that you can do anything.
2) If is possible to add customised behaviour anywhere so that a masternode is acting in a customised way anywhere for example to deny service for a specific input.
3) What is the maximum number of masternodes that can be ever operating/registered at the same time?
4) If someone controls 51% of the total masternodes (despite the financial difficulties about it) what capabilities could have if he wants to act maliciously on instant or private send?

I am confused on the capabilities that a masternode owner might have when it comes to instantSent or privateSend.

1) I want to know if is possible to setup the masternode configuration file in a way that you write code for example so that you can do anything.
I would say no. The contents of the file are pretty basic.

2) If is possible to add customised behaviour anywhere so that a masternode is acting in a customised way anywhere for example to deny service for a specific input.
You could modify the source code I suppose, but depending what you did you could end up getting your masternode banned for misbehaving. And that would only affect the specific node(s) you controlled.

3) What is the maximum number of masternodes that can be ever operating/registered at the same time?
Current number of coins mined / 1000 (of course, that wouldn't leave any for transactions)

4) If someone controls 51% of the total masternodes (despite the financial difficulties about it) what capabilities could have if he wants to act maliciously on instant or private send?

With InstantSend, you could potentially prevent a transaction lock from occurring by voting no. If you happened to control more than 5 of the MNs in the quorum, the lock would fail. Here's some info about PrivateSend. Looks like you could have about a 0.3% chance of tracking an 8 round mixing session. Not sure what else.

Back