Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

lets donate $1 million to wikipedia

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by Dashmaximalist, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Dashmaximalist

Masternode Owner/Operator

we should donate to wikipedia and ask them to put a pay with dash button on their donation banner,

this would create an instant media buzz about dash and will create ultimate authenticity to DASH

donation to wikipedia is obviously is an awesome PR stunt

• Like Like x 3
  2. Leonidas

Leonidas Active Member

I agree, donation could be very good PR given that money is not used anyways. However, if you ask them to put a Dash button, it's not donating anymore but buying. Except if your idea is to anyway gives the money whether they accept to put the Dash button or not.

Another thread has been opened by @Nutomic where he talks about creating a website where organisations thanks to donations could be listed. Maybe you could work together.

3. Dashmaximalist

no we only give donation ( or its buying ) if they agree put pay with dash button right on the page where they put pay with paypal button

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheSingleton

TheSingleton Member

Hm, maybe it would be better if we would say that we would match any Donation made in Dash up to $1M + some initial fixed sum maybe $100K. That would also encourage more Dash usage.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Acedian

Acedian Member

Dash Address:
    XrSKdu9aFahGwkYQHbTH6jBn6zoLnZmMp3
    Just cover the costs for accepting Dash as a donation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Dashmaximalist

good idea
    Thats a good idea too :)

7. Dashmaximalist

looks like the core groups marketing company is getting ready by 2025, be a little patient guys

8. fernando

fernando Powered by Dash
    Dash Core Group Foundation Member Moderator

I'm afraid we'll have to postpone to 2027, we are too busy ;). In any case, there is no obstacle for anyone to make this proposal, it doesn't have to come from core!

Personally I prefer that people donate their own money and chose their own causes, but I know that some people don't think like me and prefer entities to raise funds somehow and donate them for them. I love Wikipedia and have donated in the past, but there are a ton of causes that I also love, so I would have a tough time explaining why Wikipedia instead of Tor, EFF or someone trying to cure cancer or put children to school.

As for the button, I doubt they would go for it straight away because they are super conservative with what they include in the donations page. I think it was 2-3 years ago. Jimmy Wales took some interest in Bitcoin and the community organized a bit fund raiser for Wikipedia. I don't remember the amount, but it was big. Jimmy Wales promised some kind of integration. They ended up delivering, but it took ages to have it in the main donations page. In the meantime, I remember many comments of people pissed off because the option was hidden and some comments by Wikipedia people saying there was not enough volume to justify it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dashmaximalist

The core wants a big marketing company to work for dash instead of many separate marketing teams that are not controlled by them ( as far i know ) and people have some how bought this narrative ( the vote for CMO was killed by big whales )

Having said that, i don't see any marketing company up to work on ideas like these.

The reason for picking wikipedia is not completely altruistic, wikipedia is one of top 10 websites by visits and being on their front page gives us immense authenticity for which we can donate $1 million or more

10. Dima

Dima New Member

11. bhkien

bhkien Active Member
    Linguistic

Yes, I also think like that!

• Like Like x 1