• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

importing private keys from paper wallet. - SOLVED

MrZilch

Hey guys I have been having some problems importing private keys from paper wallets. I unlock my QT client then go to debug window. I use this command : importprivkey MYPRIVATEKEYHERE

It does a rescan but after the rescan nothing seems to happen. ( i would expect to go the the 'Receive' tab and see a the new public address I should have just imported) I have tried importing the private key in these formats.

WIF (51 Characters Base58)
WIF Compressed ( 52 Charachers Base58)

where am i going wrong. some of these wallets im trying to import to my qt have small balances and some of them are empty. None of them seem to import. The Debug window returns no errors . I have tried this on a few QT clients.

im confused

EDIT: ok so a paper wallet with a balance DID import the balance to my QT. (it worked) but when I go to the 'receive' tab that new public key is not there?

EDIT EDIT : OK SO PROBLEM SOLVED. After importing the private key in WIF format if you click on the 'receive' tab it does not show the corresponding public key. To see this public key you need to click on : The check box that says " Reuse an existing receiving address (not recommended)" and then click on the "Request Payment" Button. It then shows you a list of the public keys.

EDIT EDIT EDIT. : Ok so I was just having a blond moment here. I was unfamiliar with the software. I know my way around dash-qt now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Receive tab shows you "Payment Requests" and not your receiving addresses. To get a list of your addresses go to "File" -> "Receiving addresses..."

PS. If you have many private keys to import and/or just want to keep things a bit more organized you can use "label" field in importprivkey command. Smth like this (testnet example):
Code:
importprivkey cN1T9aymt2YfxtxZHqgif4vriP32sbUfYC32a8JTL1J84GmfWqKw "Paper wallet 1"
And if you know this address is fresh one (i.e. there were no txes in and out ever) you can skip scanning to speed things up:
Code:
importprivkey cN1T9aymt2YfxtxZHqgif4vriP32sbUfYC32a8JTL1J84GmfWqKw "Paper wallet 1" false

Back