• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How's your "basket of eggs"?

raganius

cryptoPag.com
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Well, I got curious, after fible's thread question: What other cryptocurrencies are you Dashers diversifying your cryptoinvestments? What quality of the coin convinced you to invest in it?

Or are you placing all our eggs in one single basket?

When I first discovered the cryptocurrencies I bought everything :eek: I had no parameters (and I lost some money, with that). I've tried daytrading and it was a disaster :confused: Then I discovered DASH, I sold all the altcoins I "collected" (even all the btc I had then) and bought all-in DASH! :cool:

With time I've been buying some small amounts of other coins that I find interesting, so my "collection" is more diversified nowadays.

Here is, more or less, what my "crypto investment portifolio" looks like:
  • DASH (more than 70% of my holdings) - for obvious reasons, as this is the best e-cash;
  • BTC (about 10% of the potifolio) - I see btc as a hedge. And maybe "available resources" in case I need some fiat, or even to buy into some sudden opportunity;
  • ETH (about 5% of the investment total) - As it's bringing so many new perspectives, I felt like I must be holding some;
  • The other 15% of my buy and hold coins is composed of:
  • NMC and PPC - as these are "classical" altcoins, with some special qualities;
  • BTS, BAY, SPR and NEM - Some later generation currencies, also with very interesting characteristics.
It's hard to keep updated in this everlasting tsunami of currencies, so I'd like to hear read your opinions.

I will diversify later, when my DASHs will get the appreciation they deserve (I hope, in nearest 2 years). Hope at that moment some new projects will appear, as good as DASH and Bitcoin.

I recognize it is risky to hold 100% in DASH now, but it is more risky (IMHO) to invest in projects that have tiny chances to survive long-term. So it's better to diversify in something non-crypto. :)

But of course everybody has own investment strategy, there is no strict rules. I prefer long-term...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've mined whatever came up end of 2013 / beginning of 2014 and therefore have zillions of coins of every flavour [*].

The only ones which still exist and have some value are DGB, DOGE, LTC and DASH.

[*] Unfortunately I didn't mine much Dash/Darkcoin back then, just half a Masternode or so.

I will diversify later, when my DASHs will get the appreciation they deserve (I hope, in nearest 2 years). Hope at that moment some new projects will appear, as good as DASH and Bitcoin.
(...)

Yes, not very long ago I was also all-in with DASH. I know exactly how it feels (and I don't blame you, this is a great project). But the thing is, let's be honest, there are a few nice projects going on in crypto, with some important ideas being implemented. I felt like investing/collaborating in these communities as well, And, sometimes, it feels nice to have this multifaceted perspective. :smile:

(...)
I recognize it is risky to hold 100% in DASH now, but it is more risky (IMHO) to invest in projects that have tiny chances to survive long-term. So it's better to diversify in something non-crypto. :)

But of course everybody has own investment strategy, there is no strict rules. I prefer long-term...

That's for sure :wink:

Andrew Carnegie said, "Put all your eggs into one basket and then watch that basket, do not scatter your shot."
http://www.clpgh.org/exhibit/neighborhoods/oakland/oak_n751.htm

lol I guess he was referring only to labour efforts (something like, it's not a good idea to be part of the dev team of multiple coins at once...) better to choose one project and give full attention to it, body and soul :grin:

btw, he also said:
Sixth—Never speculate. Never buy or sell grain or stocks upon a margin. If you have savings, invest them in solid securities, lands or property. The man who gambles upon the exchanges is in the condition of the man who gambles at the gaming table. He rarely, if ever, makes a permanent success. His judgment goes; his faculties are snapped; and his end, as a rule, is nervous prostration after an unworthy and useless life.
:eek:

I've mined whatever came up end of 2013 / beginning of 2014 and therefore have zillions of coins of every flavour [*].

The only ones which still exist and have some value are DGB, DOGE, LTC and DASH.

[*] Unfortunately I didn't mine much Dash/Darkcoin back then, just half a Masternode or so.

In the beginning I have also mined many cpu mineable coins (DASH included), but I was only an insignificant miner (notebook cpu miner actually :oops:)... negligible results. That pace would never make me rich. At first I considered buying serious mining equipment... but in the end I decided that it was a better approach simply to use the money and buy the coins directly.

A curious fact: I have never bough litecoins or dogecoins... I have never believed in these coins (but, on the other hand, I have bough so many other coins that does not even exist anymore :what:).

90% Dash
10% BTC

Started with stamps and coins from a very young age. Moved to Gold, palladium and Silver until the crypto bug hit the world.
Started with Doge then Digi, LTC, Octo, Fedora, Bunny, Taco, Ozzie, BTC Dark now Dash! What a journey to get here.

I hold 95% DASH (for obvious reasons) and some very new but innovative altcoins with no real value (for now).

"diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing." Warren Buffett

(I love that quote)

"diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing." Warren Buffett

"The world of crypto-currencies is still highly unpredictable, so actually nobody knows what he's doing. You bet on a horse and hope that in 5 years there are still horse-races." - Crowning

"The world of crypto-currencies is still highly unpredictable, so actually nobody knows what he's doing. You bet on a horse and hope that in 5 years there are still horse-races." - Crowning

Related to long term investments I believe in the proper vision, the talent of the team and hard work to achieve it. Nothing more

I've been watching the development from the sidelines since day one :what:, and I know you can do it. :wink:

90% Dash
10% BTC

Started with stamps and coins from a very young age. Moved to Gold, palladium and Silver until the crypto bug hit the world.
Started with Doge then Digi, LTC, Octo, Fedora, Bunny, Taco, Ozzie, BTC Dark now Dash! What a journey to get here.

lol, this just sounds like me :smile:

I hold 95% DASH (for obvious reasons) and some very new but innovative altcoins with no real value (for now).

(I love that quote)

I'd quote the GrandMasterDash here (as Mr. Buffett considers the cryptocurrencies to be mere mirages):
Not all investments are equal, the ratio of investment would reflect the risk and appetite for risk. Not investing has only one guarantee... that you won't win.

:wink:

I really really should not have mined Eurocoin in the first week that darkcoin had a GPU miner released, I was just about to dump my 5000 eurocoins(and buy darkocin) but it turned out the dev had misspelt 1 letter in the wallet receiving addresses generation code so the whole blockchain was written off, he tried re-releasing it and getting everyone to show screen shots of their holdings and reimberse them, only thing was they all lied so there were more claims than were new eurocoins that existed, at that point I knew it was doomed (could have mined about 200 darkcoin in that time), I switched back to darkcoin but by then the difficulty had gone right up :rolleyes:

(I love that quote)
I go with that, its hard enough to follow whats going on with 1 coin never mind 5 or more, others would be only for market speculation and to play the ratios (such as litecoin)

Dash Dash Dash... Oh and some more Dash.

Although I correctly invested in Quark and not so correctly with WorldCoin, Feathercoin, Datacoin and did some market manipulation on Gamecoin. I also mined a lot of Primecoin, I had 200 digital ocean instances running at one point. Switched to Darkcoin when it was still viable to cpu mine for a while and got my first master-node from that, would be still going but there is no viable cpu coins anymore.

Not to mention cryptostocks.com was a fun gamble way back when.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back