• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Guide for single MN on a Windows machine?

jules

Hey guys, I've been digging through the site and the forum looking for a guide for simply setting up a single MN on a Windows machine. I have a small server running that I want to assign this new task. Is there a guide for that? The guides I found are for more complex setups. I do not want to make a mistake when setting this up as it involves 1000 DASH..... Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, I could not find any info on decommissioning a MN.

By the way, the website contains links to a 'wiki' which is walled off by an account system. When you register it turns out to be more of a project management / ticketing system. Also, the links on the website to articles on this wiki are broken, so maybe someone could look into that.

Thx a lot, but that guide may be for dummies, it is for dummies running this on a VPS, which I am not going to do. I am just looking for a guide for a single MN on a single Windows machine. Are there example .conf files for this? How do I start the wallet in Masternode-mode? How do I decommission it if I need the 1000 DASH again? Do I need to forward ports? Etc etc.

Thx a lot, but that guide may be for dummies, it is for dummies running this on a VPS, which I am not going to do. I am just looking for a guide for a single MN on a single Windows machine. Are there example .conf files for this? How do I start the wallet in Masternode-mode? How do I decommission it if I need the 1000 DASH again? Do I need to forward ports? Etc etc.
There's a reason not many people run Hot nodes. You have to leave your wallet open, and your coins will be vulnerable. Better to do the Hot/Cold setup.

I am certainly honoured to receive this advice of you. However, I am not putting money into a VPS and I am confident in the server I have already running. It has a good firewall and strict execution prevention of anything I do not want to run. The risks I ran of getting a keylogger when I had a certain amount of BTC on my main computer were much greater. I would therefore like to run a simple MN on my secure Win10 server and I would love a howto. Is there a howto? On the main site it says anyone should be able to run a master node, and being someone, I'd like to do it.

I am certainly honoured to receive this advice of you. However, I am not putting money into a VPS and I am confident in the server I have already running. It has a good firewall and strict execution prevention of anything I do not want to run. The risks I ran of getting a keylogger when I had a certain amount of BTC on my main computer were much greater. I would therefore like to run a simple MN on my secure Win10 server and I would love a howto. Is there a howto? On the main site it says anyone should be able to run a master node, and being someone, I'd like to do it.

Hi Jules,

Follow the guide for dummies, but ignore the vps setup. For generating the keys and cfg files, the procedure is the same except you do it in the QT wallet console. All you basically do is install and run a wallet with a special cfg. You will also need to leave it unlocked.

Hot/Cold is a little more complex, but not impossible on a local lan, you basically need to start the hot wallet from the cold wallet with a different public IP.....a vpn connection can change the public IP of the cold wallet machine so you can start your MN. I did it this way for a while myself last year.

Thanks for all the replies. This still sounds very complicated. Can't I just run the (hot) wallet I have on my server (already) to be a MN? It's there now, with 1000 DASH on it, it's just not a master node. I'd really like it to be one.

Are there examples of .conf files? Do I need to forward ports? How can I decommission the MN if I need the 1000 DASH again? Those are the most important questions to me right now.

I have a server, a wallet with 1000+ Dash in it running and sharing. I just need it to be a master node.

Great to know you have got a very safe machine, and are willing to run a hot Masternode! (How bold)

BTW, who has configured that server for you? Strong firewall, execution prevention, etc? Maybe the same person who has configured this safe server for you could help you with this hot MN installation, by following this great tutorial at https://dashtalk.org/threads/taos-masternode-setup-guide-for-dummies.2680 (any person who can read and follow instructions will be able to succeed following this step by step guide) so, I am sure it won't be hard for you, under the supervision of this competent person, responsible for the security of your machine.

Good luck :wink:

I am not putting money into a VPS

hey, skinflint :rolleyes:

On the main site it says anyone should be able to run a master node, and being someone, I'd like to do it.

really? :eek:

This still sounds very complicated. Can't I just run the (hot) wallet I have on my server (already) to be a MN? It's there now, with 1000 DASH on it, it's just not a master node. I'd really like it to be one.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

OK, I'll try and filter out the relevant parts and see how it goes.

What exactly are your concerns running a 'hot' wallet as a masternode? The same concerns as having any hot wallet for any crypto, or are there extra reasons?

OK, I'll try and filter out the relevant parts and see how it goes.

What exactly are your concerns running a 'hot' wallet as a masternode? The same concerns as having any hot wallet for any crypto, or are there extra reasons?
It's like I said before, your wallet has to be open 24/7, leaving your coins constantly vulnerable to attack. You may have a good setup, but it only takes a second of weakness to lose everything. I for one was not willing to take that risk, as were most others. Hence, no maintained guide.

Look, there are some decent affordable VPSs out there, well worth the investment.

OK thx for the advice. I take it then that there are no extra risks involved in this other then the usual risks of running a hot wallet.

I have the masternode up and running, its public key is XfcQ7pYziBJjekGmRn1qvJUnqTE6TkbJbb. I would gladly make a guide with screenshots for other users. However I gather the opinion here is that the way I set this up is not advised. Would a guide with the proper disclaimers and warnings be welcomed, or would you guys rather have that there is no such guide at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thx for the advice. I take it then that there are no extra risks involved in this other then the usual risks of running a hot wallet.

I have the masternode up and running, its public key is XfcQ7pYziBJjekGmRn1qvJUnqTE6TkbJbb. I would gladly make a guide with screenshots for other users. However I gather the opinion here is that the way I set this up is not advised. Would a guide with the proper disclaimers and warnings be welcomed, or would you guys rather have that there is no such guide at all?
There is no need to ask for a permission imo, feel free to make one.
But from a security perspective I would highly recommend to use hot/cold setup instead anyway.

I'd read it.....

I would recomend you definatley do this on test net first. But yes owners that know what they are doing can run secure windows server with a HOT wallet as a masternode. This would be a good guide for people setting up on test net but once you do it you will see how simple it was that your doc may just be one or two pages. As people are saying here this isnt AS secure as cold hot MN. The problem here is most people dont have static ip from isp so most user use a vps easy to document , another documentation issue is that hardware firewalls all have different ways to cofig and is different for opening nat ports correctly. So make a windows server guid for test net, HOT wallet MN. Add some guides for opening firewall ports on windows servers only as needed to be secure as possible just open 9999 require local administration. PM me if you get stuck i can try and help. snowed in on east coast today so just setting up test net nodes my self getting ready for some evo testnet... woot

Also, I could not find any info on decommissioning a MN.

...., so maybe someone could look into that.

Uh decommissioning MN =send your DASH to new address...

And sounds like you ended up at atlassin the project and software tracking site which is correct but thought it was public.. hmm

The safest way of running a master node is using the hot/cold method described in this great tutorial:

<can't post links yet will fill this in later>

However, you may want to choose a more simple method of running a Master Node directly on a Windows platform, if you have enough confidence that your coins are safe. With this method, you will be using your wallet directly as a Master Node, keeping it open 24/7. Please note that if someone gains access to your server, and also obtains your wallet password, you may lose all your DASH. So if you want to follow this method, good security of your Windows server is paramount.

There are basically two steps, first configuring your DASH wallet, then configuring your DASH wallet to be a Master Node.

1) Download and install DASH wallet

Get the latest version of the Core wallet here: <can't post links yet will fill this in later>

Select Download Installer for the version of the OS you are using, 32 or 64 bits. Don’t use Electrum Dash, as this wallet cannot be a Master Node. Run the installer and start the wallet.

You will get a choice where you want to store the data, including the blockchain. This is 1.6 GB at the time of writing. If you choose a different location then the standard location and want to create a new directory, click the button with the dots …. next to where the path is listed. A Windows Explorer will open, allowing you to browse to the desired location and create a new directory by right-clicking in the empty space. Please note that the location you choose, will be the location where we will make a dash.conf file in step 2.

<screenshot>

Run the wallet, allow it access to the internet via the Windows firewall when prompted and allow it to sync the entire blockchain. This will take several hours. You can monitor the progress in the wallet.

<screenshot>

Transfer at least 1000 DASH to your wallet using the preconfigured receiving address you already have (in the wallet: File -> Receiving Addresses).

Set a password on your wallet, go to Settings -> Encrypt Wallet. This will take a while and you will have to restart the wallet after the encrypting is done. Do not lose this password, as you will lose access to your funds if you forget it.

Make a backup of your wallet, go to File -> Backup Wallet. Please do this. Save the backup in a physically different place then the computer the wallet is on. Preferably more than one place. Make backups on a regular basis.

2) Configure your wallet to be a Master Node

There are three steps: you will need 1000 DASH in a special Master Node address, a configuration file telling the wallet it is a Master Node, and starting the wallet in Master Node mode.

a) 1000 DASH in a Master Node address

In the wallet, click Tools -> Debug console. This will open a command prompt allowing you to interact with the wallet.

Enter the following command: "masternode genkey" and press ENTER. You will see a long string of numbers and letters. Please copy/paste this string to a notepad file. You will need this string in the dash.conf file we will be creating in the next step.

Enter the following command: "getaccountaddress 0" and press ENTER. This will generate your new Master Node’s receiving address, or public key. This address, labeled "0", can be found in the wallet when you go to File -> Receiving Addresses. This address will be the one that you will send your 1000 DASH to, and the one where all future payments for running a Master Node will go. You will also be able to find your Master Node by this public address in the list of all Master Nodes.

<screenshot>

Copy this address and transfer exactly 1000 DASH to it using the Send option of the wallet. The 1000 DASH will stay in your wallet, they will just be in a different address of your wallet, associated with your private key. You will only lose the transaction costs. You will need this transaction to be confirmed at least 15 times. You can check the progress of the confirmations in your wallet by using the tab Transactions and then double-clicking the transaction labeled "Payment to yourself".

Make another backup of your wallet.

b) Generate a configuration file

There are different ways to do this, in the end a dash.conf file containing the correct parameters must be in the root of the folder that contains your DASH data.

In your wallet, go to Tools -> Open Configuration File. Windows will ask you what program you wish to use to open this file, choose More apps -> notepad, and keep the checkbox at “Always use this program to open .conf files”.

Copy and paste the following contents to the Notepad window that opened, replacing the text in capital letters and using the Master Node key you generated in the step before (not the receiving address or public key, but the key you got when you used “masternode genkey”).

rpcuser=RANDOMLETTERSANDNUMBERS
rpcpassword=MORERANDOMLETTERSANDNUMBERS
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=THEMASTERNODEKEYYOUGENERATED
addnode=23.23.186.131

Press control-S to save this file, then close Notepad. Please note that if you use “File -> Save as” instead of control-S, you might save the file as dash.conf.txt instead of dash.conf. This will lead to an error in the console later when you try to start the Master Node, stating that masternode=1 should be in the dash.conf file.

c) Start the Master Node

Close the wallet.

Restart the wallet, allowing it to pick up the dash.conf file (the wallet will not behave differently yet, but this is a necessary step).

Open the console via Tools -> Debug console. Type in the command: “masternode start YOURWALLETPASSWORD”, using the password you set earlier to encrypt your wallet. If all is well, you will get the message: “Successfully started master node”. Please note that you will have to do this after each restart of the wallet, so e.g. after a reboot for a Windows update or after an update of the wallet.

Now, you can check the status of your Master Node by going to this webpage: <can't post links yet will fill this in later>

And entering your public key in the search box.

Happy Master Nodeing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!

However this part
Enter the following command: "getaccountaddress 0" and press ENTER. This will generate your new Master Node’s receiving address, or public key. This address, labeled "0", can be found in the wallet when you go to File -> Receiving Addresses. This address will be the one that you will send your 1000 DASH to, and the one where all future payments for running a Master Node will go. You will also be able to find your Master Node by this public address in the list of all Master Nodes.
is redundant - any address can be masternode address now as long as it is funded via tx with 1000 DASH.
(we got rid of "getaccountaddress 0" a long time ago but it keeps resurrecting again and again in every guide :rolleyes:)

Back