• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DynDNS?

Newar

I'd like to move my MN from a VPS to my home. As here my IP will change from time to time, is it possible to enter a DynDNS address as the IP, i.e.
newar.dyndnsservice.com:9999
?

I'd like to move my MN from a VPS to my home. As here my IP will change from time to time, is it possible to enter a DynDNS address as the IP, i.e.
newar.dyndnsservice.com:9999
?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

No, it's not possible to use a dynamic IP for running a masternode, you'll need a static IPv4 address.

Ok, so what I did not realise is that an IP change will put my MN at the end of the queue. :rolleyes: What is the best approach for people like me who wish to run their MNs from their office/home etc.?

Ask your ISP for a fixed-IP contract.

But in almost all cases this will be more expensive than just using a VPS.

So - purely from a philosophical point of view - Dash rather would have the MNs on a few DCs, than properly distributed "with the people"?

/me pours another glass of Aberfeldy o_O

So - purely from a philosophical point of view - Dash rather would have the MNs on a few DCs, than properly distributed "with the people"?

/me pours another glass of Aberfeldy o_O

No problem, you provide an architecture which allows dynamic IPs without (!) vulnerabilities (DoS, faking nodes, etc....) and we implement it.

With the recent DDoS attack on Masternodes hosting one on your home connection might not be a good idea. Each Masternode currently earns 7.1 Dash per month or $710 (at the time of this post). Static IPs for a home connection usually cost $10/month, sometimes with hefty ($50+) setup fees. Because of that it would be better to put the Static IP charge towards a actual hosting service and have it professionally hosted on a decent server. This will make your Masternode more reliable to lessen the chance of you missing a payment due to downtime.

As far as I can tell, the DDOS was easily averted with a few entries in iptables, posted in this forum. I did not notice any issues on that MN box. Like I said this was more about "philosophy", rather than money. One big thing about crypto-currency in general for me is that it puts me in control (for better or worse of course). So having parts of it at an 3rd party does not sit right somehow.

Of course on architectural things I have to pass. DynDNS works fine for me for other things, but i only have the user perspective.

I guess, I have to look for a VPS provider I personally trust.

Back