• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Deidacted or VPS Dash mining

Is this question stupid?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Aleksandras

Hi,

I'm a complete noob at mining, so please don't go ballistic at me if I'm asking a stupid question, and do bear in mind that I'm looking for answers here, not comments about the current status quo of cryptocurrency mining.

What are the economics of mining dash using a vps (assuming the provider allows it), or a dedicated server? Is it profitable? Dedicated mining is very expensive, so I want to hear an experts take on this.

Thanks to anyone for your time :)

Bitmain is currently releasing asics for X11. So a VPs or dedicated server probably won't give u the needed return to pay for it.
Now if you have 1000 dash sitting around you can fire up a vps to host a masternode and make a nice return.

Using a VPS would probably be one of the least economically viable ways to mine. Even if you use special VPS's equipped with good GPU accelerators, the costs are going to be way higher than if you just bought the dash on the open market. You could try certain cloud mining services like genesismining (with a contract) or nicehash (no contract), but even with those with my limited research it seems to be cheaper to just purchase the dash outright. Or if you can afford one of the ASICs and you have cheap energy costs that is also an option

If by VPS you mean Virtual Private Server then you are talking about CPU mining, or using the central processing unit of the server to perform the calculations. A somewhat better way is to use GPU mining, or a graphics card as TroyDASH was saying, still not a good way to go. In either case your efficiency is very low.
The current trend is to use dedicated machines with ASIC chips in them (full disclosure: I'm not an expert, I have 2 on order, but I haven't run any yet). These are thousands of times faster that what you are describing.
Lastly, there are services available where you 'rent' mining equipment, what TroyDASH calls cloud mining. You pay a service fee to use someone else's equipment and you get the mining reward.

Back