• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Wallet - wallet Wallet

mage00000

The title of this thread may (or may not) momentarily confuse you, so let me clearify.
There are a lot of people who would like to get more involved with Dash but simply can not put down 1000 Dash for a masternode. The general idea that dash ownership = a say in the project's development is very attractive but the height of this threshold is a quick disillusion for most.
Some already have joined forces with contracts etc to set up a "shared masternode", but wouldn't it be great if this could be done on the Dash blockchain instead of wasting money on 3rd parties (lawyers)?
Now some functionality of Masternodes may be hard to create in a shared way, but other functions and especially the voting mechanism can relatively easily be achieved in a different way.

Introducing the wallet wallet.

The blockchain now stores wallets that contain dash (dash wallets), but I think it is not a very complicated thing to implement wallets that contain other wallets (wallet wallets) provided that a wallet can only be included in 1 other wallet.

A simple example may (or may not) clarify this idea,
(if not post your questions below)
Suppose I have 100 Dash and my friend has 900, so together we have 1000. We could then agree to create a wallet that contains my wallet and his wallet. This wallet can not send money, it is only an administrative object.
Note that I maintain full ownership of my wallet and my friend of his, yet we have created a wallet that has a 1000 Dash value and thus could be given a vote in the voting mechanism.
In cases where we both have the same opinion this is very trivial but when we have a different opinion this should result in a partial "Yes" or partial "No".
If I vote "Yes" and my friend votes "No" this would result in a 1/10 Yes-vote and a 9/10 No, based on our contribution in the wallet wallet.

Well, this is just a brain fart that I was suffering from recently, so I thought I will just share it here. If unusable in this way, perhaps there are other uses conceivable? Share your thoughts....
Perhaps a different name such as super wallet or hyper wallet would be less confusing (but also less fun ;) )

Ernst.

A wallet is simply a collection of addresses and correspondent private keys. The blockchain does not care about wallets, only addresses. I suppose the closest thing to what you propose would be multisig addresses, but I don't think Dash supports those, and they would probably not solve the voting issue.

I see. There is the first confusing aspect of this, we are using different words for similar things and the same words for different things.

I think, to be more precise, a wallet is a piece of software that manages your private keys. These keys give access to addresses on the blockchain and these addresses contain dash.
So to rephrase what I am proposing is to group addresses in some way and store that group as another item on the blockchain that also has an address and if necessary can be grouped again into an even larger group.
In a way this is also how accounting is done; you have one large group of income, this can be split into income from work, income from mining, income from staking, income from sending your children to work for you etc. Same for expenses and savings.
Such a structure can be set up on the blockchain and the reason why I thought of this is -as I said- you can create a group with friends that has a combined worth of 1000 Dash and gives you -as a group- voting rights in the DAO.

A multisignature address is an address that has more than 1 key, and a certain number of keys are required to unlock the entire amount. This is entirely different from what I am proposing, because every key in my proposal maintains the control that it had, and I could set up a combined address (wallet wallet as I called it earlier) with someone that I hardly know, without putting my money at risk (or his/hers).
It is just creating an option to use my dash savings to obtain a small vote in the DAO.

Ernst.

PS, I almost forgot to thank you for your response which gave me a chance to clarify this issue (I hope).

NEO Web Wallet is a lightweight wallet developed and maintained by the NEO community. Though being a web wallet, it takes care of your NEO funds as nothing is ever sent to NEO Wallet’s servers. It allows you to create a wallet back up so that you control your private keys of your NEO funds.
Something tells me that you're on the wrong forum.

Back