Darkcoin is more centralized than we think?

Evil-Knievel

Oct 23, 2014
Hi,

I am a holder of several thousand DRK, and I have taken some time to dig deeper into the DRK source code.
First of all, I have found the DOS attack on the masternodes list by sending TxVin's with varying nSequence number which allowed me to include as many entries as I wanted into the masternode list. Luckily this was quickly fixed.

But what I have found, is a lot more critical in my opinion.

The fact, that we have many distributed master nodes, does not imply full decentralization.

In fact, the masternode payments system works like this.
All masternodes periodically send their pings, to keep their position in the masternode list.
Then some "magical entity" elects the payee's which means the masternodes that will be payed in the next block. This is performed 10 Blocks in advance.

The fun thing is, that this election can ONLY BE DONE by the magical entity. If this entity vanished, no masternode payments will work anymore. More critically, this magical entity seems to be controlled by the developers of darkcoin.

More precisely, the "election of the winner" is signed in the function:
bool CMasternodePayments::Sign(CMasternodePaymentWinner& winner)
using the strMasterPrivKey.

The signature of such election/consensus votings must come from the
HARDCODED PUBKEY:

const std::string CSyncCheckpoint::strMainPubKey = "04bcba2b149fe9d54f218208dd02aecd7b2245ef21c937207966f0814365b4d1c5d521d001f2df294bafb0fbe5ee4c3290b0c25bff8fdd886b6e3e9317758a7d75";

Now my question is, who is controlling this PublicKey, why is the whole system depending on the presence of the entity controlling the pubkey? How are you planning to AVOID THE CENTRALIZATION?

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Hi,

I am a holder of several thousand DRK, and I have taken some time to dig deeper into the DRK source code.
First of all, I have found the DOS attack on the masternodes list by sending TxVin's with varying nSequence number which allowed me to include as many entries as I wanted into the masternode list. Luckily this was quickly fixed.

But what I have found, is a lot more critical in my opinion.

The fact, that we have many distributed master nodes, does not imply full decentralization.

In fact, the masternode payments system works like this.
All masternodes periodically send their pings, to keep their position in the masternode list.
Then some "magical entity" elects the payee's which means the masternodes that will be payed in the next block. This is performed 10 Blocks in advance.

The fun thing is, that this election can ONLY BE DONE by the magical entity. If this entity vanished, no masternode payments will work anymore. More critically, this magical entity seems to be controlled by the developers of darkcoin.

More precisely, the "election of the winner" is signed in the function:
bool CMasternodePayments::Sign(CMasternodePaymentWinner& winner)
using the strMasterPrivKey.

The signature of such election/consensus votings must come from the
HARDCODED PUBKEY:

const std::string CSyncCheckpoint::strMainPubKey = "04bcba2b149fe9d54f218208dd02aecd7b2245ef21c937207966f0814365b4d1c5d521d001f2df294bafb0fbe5ee4c3290b0c25bff8fdd886b6e3e9317758a7d75";

Now my question is, who is controlling this PublicKey, why is the whole system depending on the presence of the entity controlling the pubkey? How are you planning to AVOID THE CENTRALIZATION?
I think the answer to your question is here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/v0-15-testing.2611/page-28#post-25405

And here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/v0-15-testing.2611/page-28#post-25407

Reactions: Raico

Evil-Knievel

Oct 23, 2014
Thank you for the pointer.
I will get a steaming cup of coffee and read the complete thread right now.
At the first glance, this looks like one of the major issues to me.

Dr.Crypto

Jul 9, 2014
This is just a temporary solution to ensure equal payments to masternode owners until a new voting system is implemented, and was publicly presented in Onyx Release's announcement post (see reference nodes).
Also, they have nothing to do with the network's security, and putting them down would simply re-establish random payments to masternode owners.

JGCMiner

Jun 8, 2014
This is just a temporary solution to ensure equal payments to masternode owners until a new voting system is implemented, and was publicly presented in Onyx Release's announcement post (see reference nodes).
Also, they have nothing to do with the network's security, and putting them down would simply re-establish random payments to masternode owners.
This... +1

@OP Evan already explained that these nodes are ONLY for ensuring even payments (payments are random if the node is down or compromised) and controlling them gives you NO advantage over the network. Furthermore this will be improved later.

The discovery here is an issue that has already been thoroughly discussed and put to bed.

Reactions: Raico

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Thank you for the pointer.
At the first glance, this looks like one of the major issues to me.
No problem. I thought it'd be best to point to the source rather than from hearsay. It's all in that testing thread. Happy reading! :)

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
As others already pointed out, this was already discussed and is a temporary solution.

If the entities (there are several) vanished the network would simply fall-back to the random payment distribution we have now.
You're completely right with your second conclusion, when this goes active the developers could in fact influence who's paid how often and who's not.

This unnecessary centralization is a concern I and several others have already communicated and it will certainly be addressed in the future.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014

Dr.Crypto

Jul 9, 2014
You're completely right with your second conclusion, when this goes active the developers could in fact influence who's paid how often and who's not.
Very right, though I'd like to point out the fact that masternode payments, just like any transaction, are publicly visible. And Darksend or not, masternode owners will always be able to know how much they should have been paid based on the number of generated blocks, and what they actually receive.
The developers going rogue on masternode payments would simply make masternode owners dump their holdings and kill the coin's reputation and value.
I think we can fairly admit that there would be so many better options for the devs to scam everyone and causing the coin's death themselves :')

Still, don't take me wrong, I also believe that any form of centralisation should not be kept in the long haul, but this one is not critical with respect to the network's security, and is planned to be addressed in the future, so I think it can be kept aside for now regarding the current agenda and InstantX in the works!

Cofresí

Dash Core Team
Aug 22, 2014
Carribean
Hey Knievel, your hack has already earned yourself just short of half a masternode up to now. If, while drinking your coffee, you can think of an easy-to-implement solution that gets rid of the temporary reference node without resorting to solutions Evan already mentioned while still assuring that the system stays

- Non-exploitable masternode payments (Currently miners can pay their own masternode every single time)
- Completely deterministic round-robin
- 100% compatible with proof-of-service ,

then I'm quite convinced the community will raise the remaining half of the masternode as a reward.

I know you're not doing it for the money, but just trying to give your reading effort more purpose :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bertlebbert

flare

Administrator
Dash Core Team
May 18, 2014
Germany
Hey Knievel, your hack has already earned yourself just short of half a masternode up to now. If, while drinking your coffee, you can think of an easy-to-implement solution that gets rid of the temporary reference node without resorting to solutions Evan already mentioned while still assuring that the system stays

- Non-exploitable masternode payments (Currently miners can pay their own masternode every single time)
- Completely deterministic round-robin
- 100% compatible with proof-of-service ,

then I'm quite convinced the community will raise the remaining half of the masternode as a reward.

I know you're not doing it for the money, but just trying to give your reading effort more purpose :)
He did not claim to be XwzmEE1cJ6HG84CgJvAt7ADmJ - Evil-Knievels' hack was different and had no negative effects but a bloated masternode list.

Evil-Knievel

Oct 23, 2014
I have found a bug in the "centralized masternode winner" Algorithm by the way.
Included CTxIn are just checked for having 1000 DRK, but not if they are already spent or not.

This would allow the Uber-Node to include Winning-Masternodes which no longer have a valid TxIn.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
I have found a bug in the "centralized masternode winner" Algorithm by the way.
Included CTxIn are just checked for having 1000 DRK, but not if they are already spent or not.

This would allow the Uber-Node to include Winning-Masternodes which no longer have a valid TxIn.
Please report to Evan: [email protected]

Thank you.

Evil-Knievel

Oct 23, 2014
Did that,
for transparency reasons, here the relevant code part which clearly allows spent TxIn for the Block Payees.
I originally thought that we all can submit the consensus vote, so I was sending around many 1000 DRK transactions to have enough inputs for winning every vote. Then I realized I need the Ubernode-Privkey ;-)

However, this should be fixed.

bool CMasternodePayments::GetBlockPayee(int nBlockHeight, CScript& payee)
{
BOOST_FOREACH(CMasternodePaymentWinner& winner, vWinning){
if(winner.nBlockHeight == nBlockHeight) {

CTransaction tx;
uint256 hash;
if(GetTransaction(winner.vin.prevout.hash, tx, hash, true)){
BOOST_FOREACH(CTxOut out, tx.vout){
if(out.nValue == 1000*COIN){
payee = out.scriptPubKey;
return true;
}
}
}

return true;
}
}
return false;
}

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Did that,
for transparency reasons, here the relevant code part which clearly allows spent TxIn for the Block Payees.
I originally thought that we all can submit the consensus vote, so I was sending around many 1000 DRK transactions to have enough inputs for winning every vote. Then I realized I need the Ubernode-Privkey ;-)

{

CTransaction tx;
uint256 hash;
return true;
}
}
}

return true;
}
}
return false;
}
Are you looking through all of the code? Have you found anything with the Darksend code?

Ignition75

May 25, 2014
Australia
Did that,

{

CTransaction tx;
uint256 hash;
return true;
}
}
}

return true;
}
}
return false;
}
If you've found a bug we should all tip you to say thanks...

Reactions: moli

Evil-Knievel

Oct 23, 2014
Well it is not a bug that can be used practically by the users, but it is a bug which could allow an Ubernode to elect anyone as a masternode payee even if
a) the guy is not in the masternode list
b) even if the 1000 DRK TxIn is long spent

So sending around 1000 DRK many times to different addresses creates many valid TxIn Transactions (that of course are spent).
So here we have to TRUST the Ubernodes to do the correct thing.

Better would be to add additional checks to keep the system trustless.

Tips are welcome anyway ;-)
XuweR8VEhesiq7mY9ny59xNnK3SpLQWr67

I am going through the rest of the code now.

eduffield

Core Developer
Mar 9, 2014
Did that,

{

CTransaction tx;
uint256 hash;
return true;
}
}
}

return true;
}
}
return false;
}
You're right, there should be a more explicit check. However, it checks and removes invalid nodes in ThreadCheckDarksendPool() every 60 seconds. But the check shouldn't be in GetBlockPayee, someone could wait till the last second before the block is solved and possibly fork the network if they owned that input.

Patched: https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin/commit/bbc819d8c2ee76a07c1201f5e2c5a27c9ed194a3

Last edited by a moderator:

eduffield

Core Developer
Mar 9, 2014
Well it is not a bug that can be used practically by the users, but it is a bug which could allow an Ubernode to elect anyone as a masternode payee even if
a) the guy is not in the masternode list
b) even if the 1000 DRK TxIn is long spent

So sending around 1000 DRK many times to different addresses creates many valid TxIn Transactions (that of course are spent).
So here we have to TRUST the Ubernodes to do the correct thing.

Better would be to add additional checks to keep the system trustless.

Tips are welcome anyway ;-)
XuweR8VEhesiq7mY9ny59xNnK3SpLQWr67

I am going through the rest of the code now.
The algorithm the reference node uses is deterministic, you or anyone else can run the code and compare the "masternode winners". The list should be the same. But I completely agree, it needs to go. Writing the payment system to be completely trustless and non-exploitable has proven very difficult.

mrearthbound

Feb 18, 2017
I know this is an old thread, but the original topic of centralization has to do with my question.
Is there data on how many masternodes owners are there, as well as how many masternodes per owner? Most people say Dash is more centralized than, say Bitcoin, which is also centralized to a certain degree due to the broad mining pools in China. Those miners could easily pick another crypto to mine and get rid of their Bitcoin. With Dash, you have skin in the game due to your 1000 Dash.
However, I'd like to know if there's a lot of voting power to few individuals at the moment.

On the same topic, is support for masternode share voting on the roadmap?

Thanks

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
I know this is an old thread, but the original topic of centralization has to do with my question.
Is there data on how many masternodes owners are there, as well as how many masternodes per owner? Most people say Dash is more centralized than, say Bitcoin, which is also centralized to a certain degree due to the broad mining pools in China. Those miners could easily pick another crypto to mine and get rid of their Bitcoin. With Dash, you have skin in the game due to your 1000 Dash.
However, I'd like to know if there's a lot of voting power to few individuals at the moment.

On the same topic, is support for masternode share voting on the roadmap?

Thanks
ancient thread indeed
- same old - no MN owners have not (no need - privacy 1st) revealed their identity or how many nodes they hold
best to check facts and numbers here:
http://178.254.23.111/~pub/Dash/Dash_Info.html
there seem to be some way to check the votes - how many are coming from a single source - no idea where to find that tbh but biggest whales seem to be 200-300 MN
- "pick another crypto to mine and get rid of their Bitcoin "
not that easy - their ASIC miners are working for/on certain coins but you could not just flip a BTC ASIC to Dash or whatever
- "I'd like to know if there's a lot of voting power to few individuals at the moment"
no there is not - i have no numbers to proof myself here (commented above)
proposals get voted in and others get voted down - exactly how it is supposed to be
(core proposals or not - this is accross the board)
it all comes down to engaged MN holders - they "need" to vote - the more passive they are the 'easier' it is for proposals to slip in (engaged voting is needed !! across the board)

MN shared - there are a couple of services available , @moocowmoo and @splawik21 offer this ,
i am not sure how they handle voting rights

Reactions: mrearthbound