• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

CoinGecko - Nevermind marketcap: Here are the coin metrics!

As Winston Churchill said, I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself :wink:

I love the idea of ranking by other criteria, and there's really important raw info there. However, they don't give details on how they calculate the different scores (no details in 'Methodology'), so I would take the actual rankings with a bit of salt. Anyway, a lot of work there gathering all that data, it is fantastic.

As Winston Churchill said, I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself :wink:

I love the idea of ranking by other criteria, and there's really important raw info there. However, they don't give details on how they calculate the different scores (no details in 'Methodology'), so I would take the actual rankings with a bit of salt. Anyway, a lot of work there gathering all that data, it is fantastic.
Yes gathering the data must be a hell of parsing/scraping the internet.

But they publish all numbers they used in the statistics page, thats enough transparency for now. I dont see any numbers which do not fit at all.

I dont see any numbers which do not fit at all.
Me neither, I was just being a bit of a pain in the ass... sometimes I can't avoid it :tongue: I was just curious about how they calculate their four indexes and how much weight each variable has.

BTW, a bit off topic but you seem to have a great eye for this... what do you think of Reddcoin? I did a couple of btc some time ago with it and still keep a little. They have a quite big community and an active developer, but the price only goes down. To me they are Dogecoin done seriously, which I'm not sure if it is good or bad :smile:

Me neither, I was just being a bit of a pain in the ass... sometimes I can't avoid it :tongue: I was just curious about how they calculate their four indexes and how much weight each variable has.

BTW, a bit off topic but you seem to have a great eye for this... what do you think of Reddcoin? I did a couple of btc some time ago with it and still keep a little. They have a quite big community and an active developer, but the price only goes down. To me they are Dogecoin done seriously, which I'm not sure if it is good or bad :smile:
To be honest, I really recognized Reddcoin only after playing with coingecko. They seem to be damn active. No idea, might look into it. What's special about them?

To be honest, I really recognized Reddcoin only after playing with coingecko. They seem to be damn active. No idea, might look into it. What's special about them?
They intend to be the tipping coin of the internet. They don't expect it to be used to buy things everywhere, but it should allow to buy in a few places so those creating nice content and receiving Reddcoin tips can spend them. I was not really into this tipping thing, but truth is that many communities are. They did a successful IPO (I didn't take part) and have a developer quite committed to the project. They have an API and some tipping bots in different social networks.

In April their price was really low and I bought a few because I thought that with such a community they had to go somewhere. A couple weeks later the dev announced that they were switching from PoW to Prove of Stake Velocity and the price soared (from 3/4 satoshis to 15/16). I was able to do some arbitrage between Poloniex and Cryptsy (sold at Poloniex at around 15 and bought at the same time in Cryptsy at around 7 before it jumped up), so I got some BTC and I have kept part of what I had just in case it ever recovers (it went down quite fast also, it is back at 3/4 sats now).

They intend to be the tipping coin of the internet. They don't expect it to be used to buy things everywhere, but it should allow to buy in a few places so those creating nice content and receiving Reddcoin tips can spend them.
That's paradox. If I want to get tipped I want to get something I can use for other stuff as well, not only tipping back. I see no point in DOGE or REDD at all...

That's paradox. If I want to get tipped I want to get something I can use for other stuff as well, not only tipping back. I see no point in DOGE or REDD at all...
Yeah, but if it's really valuable then people don't tip... quite a paradox indeed :) The only cases in which I see it working is for someone doing really great stuff and receiving a lot of tips. Then he could exchange them for other cryptos or fiat and buy whatever he needs. But you need a constant influx of tips and very few people would get that (really good Youtube channels, super Twitter users and such people). As I said, I already got much more than what I invested, which wasn't much anyway, so I'll leave them there just in case.

Back