Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Can miners choose to not include mixing transactions in a block?

Discussion in 'PrivateSend Questions and Help' started by Antti Kaikkonen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Antti Kaikkonen

Antti Kaikkonen Active Member

Is there any incentive for a miner to include mixing transactions (with 0 fee) in a block? Today I tried sending a transaction with 0 fee and it took like 10 blocks to get the first confirmation but mixing transactions were included in those blocks. Why?

And would mixing completely halt if the blocks ever became full?

2. thephez

thephez Member
    Dash Core Team

Yes, the fees for mixing transactions are paid in a separate transaction (see Creating Collaterals and Mixing Fees). Presumably miners would prioritize mixing transaction higher than 0-fee transactions since the mixing fees are well defined in the Dash Core source. In your case, perhaps some miners are choosing not to mine 0-fee transactions even if there is available block space? That is just speculation though.

Possibly. There is nothing inherently special about the structure of mixing transactions (vs. "regular" transactions). It is broadcast using a different message, but that is the only difference (you can't technically determine from a block explorer whether a transaction was a real PrivateSend mix or just someone structuring a transaction to look like one). The miner is always the one to ultimately determine what transactions are included in a block. That applies whether the blocks are full or not.

3. Antti Kaikkonen

Antti Kaikkonen Active Member

Yep. I'm a little bit worried that since the mixing fees are paid randomly in a separate transaction, then the miners might have no incentive to include them a block. Maybe if it is a big miner then it might except to receive the fees in a later block?

4. thephez

thephez Member
    Dash Core Team

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, there should still be a mixing fee for 1 out of every 10 mixing transactions processed. I need to think about this more though. It is an interesting question.

@UdjinM6 might have some insight into this...

Edit: I had to be reminded of this, but Dash Core actually increases the priority of PrivateSend txs when it puts them in its mempool (so they are recognized as high-fee txs).

#4 thephez, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018