• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can anyone PLEASE help me...?

Heidik222

Hi there everyone,

I'll try to make this short. A few years ago back in 2/14 I had purchased a bunch or what were then "DarkCoins" from a few different trading platforms. I got sick of sites getting "hacked" and losing money so I gave up on the trading game and left a bunch of different coins on Cryptsy (CRAP!) and some on Poloniex, maybe a few on C-Cex. To make a long story short, I am trying to locate these Dash that I had, 158 of them left!! And I cannot remember if I had a cold wallet on an old computer that recently got destroyed and discarded or if I left them on an exchange that got hacked, or what... If I have the last withdrawal address that I moved them to is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE to locate these coins???? It's an incredible amount of money and this year I was in a horrible accident (hit by a speeding cyclist running a red light as I was crossing the street) and injured so badly it put me out of work for 4 months with a ton of hospital bills here in NYC. I would be happy to tip donate a few of these to anyone that could help. I thank you so much in advance. I realize the chances of me ever knowing where they are pretty much don't exist :-(

Best regards,
Heidi

Hey Heidi
aiahhhh , no
an address alone will not help you
as for wallets , it must have been on a DashCore (DarkCoin QT back then) and for that you would have a wallet.dat file store somewhere
did u search all computers, Hardrives, USB's for "wallet.dat" ?
if none, check all exchanges (Crypsy does not exist anymore)
best of luck !

Cool story, bro...
I'm not sure I understand.. I am actually asking for real. If you google anything about me that I mentioned such as my first name, my location or my getting hit by a bicycle, you will find out I am actually not a fake. But I remember the alt coin world a few years ago so I understand why you might think I am a fake.

Heidi

Hey Heidi
aiahhhh , no
an address alone will not help you
as for wallets , it must have been on a DashCore (DarkCoin QT back then) and for that you would have a wallet.dat file store somewhere
did u search all computers, Hardrives, USB's for "wallet.dat" ?
if none, check all exchanges (Crypsy does not exist anymore)
best of luck !

Thank you tungfa!

So, after more research on old hard drives I have located the key (password?) for my old wallet. If I no longer have access to the computer with the wallet am I completely out of luck? I see what happened with Crypsty and I had quite a few coins on there.. Unfortunately it now seems too late to make any claims as the deadline has passed. My issue is that my last withdrawal from Poloniex for DRK, or DASH I guess it is now, was 4/18/14 and I cannot tell if I transferred those DRK to Cryptsy or my wallet..

Any info you have is so appreciated and like I said I would be happy to throw a few coins your way if I ever got a hold of these. I had quite a sleepless night after seeing my loss :-(

Best,
Heidi

Thank you tungfa!

So, after more research on old hard drives I have located the key (password?) for my old wallet. If I no longer have access to the computer with the wallet am I completely out of luck?

“key” as in privatekey ?
if privatekey you can import that into Dash wallet and done !
of password you still need the appropriate wallet.dat for that

“key” as in privatekey ?
if privatekey you can import that into Dash wallet and done !
of password you still need the appropriate wallet.dat for that
Thank you for your replies!
So after much stress and searching we have finally located the old dark coin QT!
and it's the password I have, not a private key...

so, I am not very well versed in this but I am trying to follow the guide for syncing up old wallets in the guide provided on this forum. Right now I am downloading the latest Dash Wallet...
I still have this horrible feeling that I left those coins on Crypsty but I have to try!!!!!
I'll report back here if I run into any issues, maybe someone can assist. I really appreciate the replies. It's been so long since I've looked at all of these old coins I am actually getting nostalgia, remembering the days of Wolong and Pandacoin lmao...

Thank you for your replies!
So after much stress and searching we have finally located the old dark coin QT!
and it's the password I have, not a private key...

so, I am not very well versed in this but I am trying to follow the guide for syncing up old wallets in the guide provided on this forum. Right now I am downloading the latest Dash Wallet...
I still have this horrible feeling that I left those coins on Crypsty but I have to try!!!!!
I'll report back here if I run into any issues, maybe someone can assist. I really appreciate the replies. It's been so long since I've looked at all of these old coins I am actually getting nostalgia, remembering the days of Wolong and Pandacoin lmao...

The private keys are stored in the wallet.dat file. If you can find the Darkcoin folder in the %APPDATA% directory, your old wallet.dat (the one that is encrypted with your password) should be in there.

After you launch the new Dash Core wallet, it will create a similar folder in %APPDATA% called dashcore and will automatically generate a new (empty) wallet.dat in that folder. You can (1) close the Dash Core program, (2) move the wallet.dat from the old darkcoin folder into the dashcore folder, then (3) then re-start Dash Core. (you might also need to re-scan).

Make sure to make a backup of any folders you're playing with just in case you make a mistake (like overwriting the wrong wallet file)

Well, I want to thank you all for your assistance and good wishes, but it's a very SAD DAY! I was able to open the DRK QT and see that I had 541 coins transferred into the wallet on 2/18/14 then transferred those out the same day to Poloniex. I don't see anything else, and the strange thing is that there don't seem to be any wallet.dat files for the DRK QT but every other coin wallet I had on that Mac shows multiple wallet.dats. According to my transaction history from Poloniex, it appears I transferred 158 Dash in April of 2014 to an address that doesn't seem to match the wallet, so I am assuming that's Cryptsy and Big Vern made out with all of them since I was so negligent. Even though I downloaded the new Dash wallet, I don't seem to have any wallet.dat files from the old QT that I can find to replace the new ones... So I am at a loss. WHAT A BUMMER OF A WEEK!
But you guys were awesome and thanks for the help. Now I just gotta get over losing over 40K... gonna be rough!

Have a great day everyone!

Heidi

Well, I want to thank you all for your assistance and good wishes, but it's a very SAD DAY! I was able to open the DRK QT and see that I had 541 coins transferred into the wallet on 2/18/14 then transferred those out the same day to Poloniex. I don't see anything else, and the strange thing is that there don't seem to be any wallet.dat files for the DRK QT but every other coin wallet I had on that Mac shows multiple wallet.dats. According to my transaction history from Poloniex, it appears I transferred 158 Dash in April of 2014 to an address that doesn't seem to match the wallet, so I am assuming that's Cryptsy and Big Vern made out with all of them since I was so negligent. Even though I downloaded the new Dash wallet, I don't seem to have any wallet.dat files from the old QT that I can find to replace the new ones... So I am at a loss. WHAT A BUMMER OF A WEEK!
But you guys were awesome and thanks for the help. Now I just gotta get over losing over 40K... gonna be rough!

Have a great day everyone!

Heidi

sorry to hear :(
definitely double check polonium and such

You were able to open an old Darkcoin QT wallet, is that correct? It is unlikely it was able to synchronise, so it is still worth trying to find where the wallet.dat file is saved. Can you choose File > Backup wallet and save it, then open that with the latest version of Dash Core? Or Press ⇧ + ⌘ + G in Finder, type ~/Library/Application Support and look for the wallet file there. If you can see transactions, there must be a wallet.dat file somewhere, maybe there are transactions later down the blockchain that go to your addresses...

Feel free to PM me the addresses, maybe the Cryptsy ones can be identified...

You were able to open an old Darkcoin QT wallet, is that correct? It is unlikely it was able to synchronise, so it is still worth trying to find where the wallet.dat file is saved. Can you choose File > Backup wallet and save it, then open that with the latest version of Dash Core? Or Press ⇧ + ⌘ + G in Finder, type ~/Library/Application Support and look for the wallet file there. If you can see transactions, there must be a wallet.dat file somewhere, maybe there are transactions later down the blockchain that go to your addresses...

Feel free to PM me the addresses, maybe the Cryptsy ones can be identified...

I know! I thought it was so strange that every other coin wallet on that computer had multiple wallet.dat files but I couldn't locate one for Dark QT even though there were transactions... I will go over it again tomorrow, the computer is at my ex bf's house lol.
I will be happy to PM you the address(s) of DASH tx to see if you can figure anything... At this point I just really want to know. I'm so angry at myself for letting this happen. At one point I had 1100 coins, but I'm pretty sure in the end I had only 158 left.

Thanks for offering all of the help.. PM coming soon.

Heidi

If you kept it inside wallet, you new .dat file or SEED.

If you kept it inside exchange, you just have to reset password.

There isn't much more, that you can do (or anybody can do for you). If you don't have .dat file or seed, there is no way in.

Good morning,

I would sincerely, once again, like to thank everyone for your input. I was finally able to figure this out and recover the old wallet.dat file from DRK QT and replace into new DASHcore wallet. VERY VERY VERY unfortunately, as I suspected, my old Dash coins do not seem to be in my wallet. At one point I had over 1169 DASH. I believe I had 158 of them left. They were stolen by Cryptsy. I am such a F&*%$^& idiot for ever leaving them there! Wish I could afford to get back in.

I've been up for days... A very difficult lesson learned. I appreciate all of the assistance here from you guys.

Best,
Heidi

Finding these dash coins again should not be easy

Well, it's not as difficult as retrieving stolen coins... which I guess is impossible. Horrible month I'm having here, given the price and all. I bought my Dash back in Feb 2014 for about 25 cents each. Yeah, it hurts.

Back