• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Anyone remember Dark Age of Camelot?

stan.distortion

Probably one of the best remembered MMO's there will ever be, there was always talk of a DAoC2 but no game since has ever quite hit that mark. Multiplayer battles where the focus and DOaC got it right first time. it's still going on open source versions of the servers and desperately in need of a graphics update, these days there are plenty of open source graphics frontends to choose from (might already be ports,haven't checked). Getting large scale battles to work is still a major issue for games but that part is already done, graphics are a huge task but can be updated over time...

A confession, I never played DAoC. I played a clone that came the closest to being a DAoC2 but dropped the ball so I've no idea what DAoC's economy was like. But the clones economy was shite! I doubt DAoC's was any better but it could've worked and if it had I'm pretty sure that would be one of the most popular genres today, as many on the market as games like Call of Duty.

Real money on the outcome, even if it's just cents, adds another dimension. Ready Raider looks like a step in that direction but integration in a game is a whole 'nother level. As far as I know some projects are already aiming in that direction but I doubt any of them can match DAoC for addictiveness.

Doh... I can't belive how many times I've typed DAoC over the last few days and totally missed something obvious, DAoC. DAOc. It would probably infrindge on a crap load of copyright but it's just too good to miss! Could Platform handle a distributed MMORPG? It would certainly be ideal for things like loggin and items (and an economy ofc) but could it handle all game data if coms between game clients was doing most of the work?

Back