• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Deleted wallet on Ubuntu VM

S_Uber

I have made a grave error.

Got the MN set up on a EC2 Server. Then used Virtualbox to install ubuntu for cold wallet host.
Installed darkcoin but noticed it was version 91001, so backed up wallet to Documents, and removed the directories.
Downloaded new version and wanted to restore backup wallet. Now I'm new to linux so I used mv instead of cp, first mistake.

Then I ran darkcoind and used getinfo, but balance was 0. So I used "rm" wallet.dat, then tried "mv wallet" again.
It didn't do anything so I "cd" to Documents and "ls" and saw it was empty. Then realised something was wrong.

Needles to say, I now seem to have a missing wallet.dat :<

Am I pretty screwed here or can it be solved?
Thanks for any consideration :)

Was with S_Uber on IRC, he definitely deleted the wallet.

Is there any data-recovery software for Ubuntu 14.04 ? I'll look around and call for help.

I isntructed him not to touch anything, copy, move or even stop the VM. Just let it sit idle. With basic data recovery, he should be able to retrieve the wallet.dat. IT was in two distinct locations.

Here is his bash "log"

96 wget https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
97 chmod 700 darkcoind
98 darkcoind stop 99 darkcoind
100 darkcoind stop
101 sudo su -
102 cd ~/.darkcoin
103 ls
104 mv /home/sean/Documents/wallet.dat ~/.darkcoin/
105 ls
106 darkcoind stop

Ahh... hold on, something doesnt add up... IRC again dude...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, after a lot of communication, seems wallet is gone. Anyone? Data-recovery?

Thank you very much, will try this in the morning as it is quite late here and have an exam tomorrow.

Will update on progress.

Fingers crossed S_Uber, we still haven't ruled out those two wallet we found though. But yeah, from what it seems, the only real one was in root@~/.darkcoin

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've screwed myself :( Tried recovering procedures but no luck.

I think there were some lessons to be learnt in all this. At least I know how to operate a MN pretty well now.
Just having trouble letting go, still have the VM closed with saved state, just in case I decide to try recover it again.

Thanks for all the help yidakee you were very helpful.

Back