• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Unleashing the full potential of Masternodes

kaene

I have been in DASH since the beginning, the moment the masternodes where announced I had a vision which I have been waiting for DASH to slowly move into. With Evolution I saw that we were finally getting there, but I'm not sure if we are unleashing the full potential of masternodes with Evolution.

It's the DAPI part of Evolution which seems to me a little bit ambiguous at the moment (maybe intentionally), or at least I'm not sure if I understand it completely, but the description only says "A decentralized API which allows third tier users to access the network securely".

My vision for the masternodes network is sort of a decentralized cloud and computing allowing 3rd parties to develop apps running on that decentralized network, allowing to create a whole economy surrounding the masternodes. Those apps could be decentralized marketplaces, VPNs, web crawlers, betting or binary markets, torrent trackers, etc ... basically the idea would be to decentralize everything which could potentially be decentralized, specially those real world applications. It's not exactly the blockchain as a service, but the blockchain and tier-2 network as a service, and my doubt is whether the long term idea for Evolution is this.

Without actually knowing for sure, I do think your vision of Evolution is correct. I just hope we can standardize the DAPI so that other networks can emerge with good compatibility for core functions. If we don't standardise core functions, someone else will.

I don't think (also from limited knowledge) that it will work like that. The Evolution API will give you very specific and focussed endpoints.

I think Ethereum is more geared towards "decentralized cloud and computing allowing 3rd parties to develop apps running on that decentralized network". I don't think you'll be able to "publish" code to run on Masternodes.

But this is not a bad thing. I like "focussed" things. After reading https://www.dash.org/binaries/evo/DashPayDecentralizedWallet-v1.pdf it seems that the vision for Dash is very much focussed on our every day lives and how money interacts with it. Like a laser it focussed on just that aspect. It will be a decentalised API with the focus of managing you, your friends, your business contacts, your list of shops for local delivery, your money, and your history of money. The idea is that any lightweight client can connect to it. Your fridge, your phone, your car system. Because of that focus, it can be quickly implemented and isn't too complex.

AFAIK Ethereum is like a "jack of all trades" and you can publish your code onto the blockchain. But Ethereum takes a ton of development and you really have to study hard to understand and use it. Dash Evolution's whole point would be quick, straightforward integration, lightweight clients.

But this is just speculation, I could be completely wrong...

Judging by the fact that some months ago there was a plan to use the masternodes as something like VPNs, as in creating a similar network to TOR, as a whole new service using the masternode network, in which you get paid in DASH and pay using DASH if you want to use the service (I believe the idea got delayed but not discarded), and replies like this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg13497387#msg13497387 I think there is a possibility that the long term idea for Evolution is something like that.

Regarding Ethereum, I don't know the limitations, but without the masternodes I guess some services, like a VPN/TOR network or a video/audio streaming service, might not be feasible. The most interesting thing about these possible services is that it could bring DASH to the non-crypto user, to the average internet user.

I wouldn't have any problem if DASH laser-focus in payments and real life payment related issues only, it's just that the decentralized masternodes network has so much potential ... :wink:

I don't think (also from limited knowledge) that it will work like that. The Evolution API will give you very specific and focussed endpoints.

I think Ethereum is more geared towards "decentralized cloud and computing allowing 3rd parties to develop apps running on that decentralized network". I don't think you'll be able to ...

I came to the same conclusion. Yet, if it will make sense and will not make dash more fragile, I will support another tiers with various services.

I heard evan talking about plans to make dash capable of 100 of thousands of transactions per second. Does anyone know how is it planned to be done?

Back