• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Idea to hugely speed up mixing process

wackyD

Just had an idea and I thought to put it out here.

Mixing takes a fair while as coins need to be partnered up.

Each masternode keeps 1000 coins locked in, not doing much.

What if there was a way to get those coins into mixing, with zero cost to the masternode operator for using his/her coins to mix with non MN user's wallets. The 1000 coins are kept by the MN to operate the node, but those coins at the same time can be continuously used to mix all coins in the network. The MN operator should not have to pay for mixing, but the rest of use continue to pay the trivial fee to get our coins mixed.

Mixing would be much quicker, and about 500,000 DRK locked into masternodes can be be unlocked and used to hurry mixing up.

Thoughts?

Hmmm sounds good on paper but a potential issue is with 1000+ MN's constantly mixing with each other, this will probably cause additional overhead / blockchain bloat.

MNs would continue to mix even when there are no normal users mixing on the network, or even lock normal users out of the pool causing the process to take even longer potentially.

Would like to hear Evans thoughts for sure though :)

I really don't like the idea of noodling with the MN DRK. Just two scripted wallets constantly running would allow any 3rd user to get on with anonymising.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so intuitive that the masternode should do this.
Before I got into darkcoin I actually thought this was the way that darksend worked!
The masternode can provide stability to the network in more was than just anonymity
Masternodes can enhance liquidity and transactionspeed through the 1000 coins.
It shouldnt be a burden on the network by just being illiquid.
We should use the MN to the fullest of their capabilities
There are Countless possibilities, with MNs that's why I got into this coin in the first place :wink:

Ok, so what about using MN coins only on demand to mix coins? That is, not constantly mixing for the sake of it, but only using the coins when mixing is requested

Ok, so what about using MN coins only on demand to mix coins? That is, not constantly mixing for the sake of it, but only using the coins when mixing is requested
It would need a reworking of the system since the masternode is tied to the 1000 coin vin. If those coins are used, the masternode goes offline.

Just had an idea and I thought to put it out here.

Mixing takes a fair while as coins need to be partnered up.

Each masternode keeps 1000 coins locked in, not doing much.

What if there was a way to get those coins into mixing, with zero cost to the masternode operator for using his/her coins to mix with non MN user's wallets. The 1000 coins are kept by the MN to operate the node, but those coins at the same time can be continuously used to mix all coins in the network. The MN operator should not have to pay for mixing, but the rest of use continue to pay the trivial fee to get our coins mixed.

Mixing would be much quicker, and about 500,000 DRK locked into masternodes can be be unlocked and used to hurry mixing up.

Thoughts?
What a clever idea. Im sure theres issues with making it work but i think it makes perfect sense. And if the MN's are using instantX mixing would happen fast and without blockchain bloat.

It would need a reworking of the system since the masternode is tied to the 1000 coin vin. If those coins are used, the masternode goes offline.

and wallets have to be hot again which is another security issue !

i agree something has to be done as it takes forever to anon even the smallest number.

i am still thinking a certain amount of DRK should be (maybe ownerless) on the MN Network , ready to anon with whoever needs them/ a partner to anon with !

I set up a sub-100 wallet and did 8 rounds last night in about 3 hours. I'll most likely send it all to a fresh address and do it again as an ongoing thing.

I was thinking of everything I red here and by summarizing all the thoughts together that's what I came to:
1000 DRK vin should be untouched to keep system mostly the same... but we have empty remote masternode wallets and even now we can fill them with small amounts and fix config to enable darksend to let them act as darksend participant... but as it was mentioned before they will mix with other masternodes which is no good... so masternode participants should act only when darsend is requested by at least one non-masternode participant.... and it would be nice if masternode participants would be free from any fees for darksend mixing (or maybe they even could earn some?)... that doesn't look like a big change in code...
Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking of everything I red here and by summarizing all the thoughts together that's what I came to:
1000 DRK vin should be untouched to keep system mostly the same... but we have empty remote masternode wallets and even now we can fill them with small amounts and fix config to enable darksend to let them act as darksend participant... but as it was mentioned before they will mix with other masternodes which is no good... so masternode participants should act only when darsend is requested by at least one non-masternode participant.... and it would be nice if masternode participants would be free from any fees for darksend mixing (or maybe they even could earn some?)... that doesn't look like a big change in code...
Any thoughts on this?

Brilliant! You summarized all suggestions beautifully into a possible solution. Let me put some bullet points to it for clarity:
  • any masternode owner can split excess coins off the 1000 drk vin into a separate address on the masternode hot wallet, as long as he keeps at least 1000 drk in the cold local wallet
  • this small change in the hot wallet can be used to mix with other participants when needed (only on demand)
  • for this service the masternode mixing helper should not be charged but should even earn a little extra fee
My feeling is that this should be possible to do. Would be nice to hear Evan or Flare on that.

Back