• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Trading blockchain usernames

Antti Kaikkonen

Trading blockchain usernames seems to be made very difficult with the 90 day closing period. The buyer would have to absolutely trust anyone who can close the account. This would mean that an exchange would have to keep a deposited username for 90 days before it can be sold.

I propose that we make the 90 day period configurable to make usernames more tradeable.

Also a smart contract could enable trustless trading of usernames.

Also I would argue that the 90 day closing period can even make user funds less secure in some situtations. For example if I lose my phone containing the blockchain username private key then I would like to quickly transfer the blockchain username without a thief being able to extort me for money afterwards.

It is probably worth noting that (as far as I understand it) trading of usernames is possible due more to a side effect of the desire to enable changing the public/private key pair than an explicit intention to provide a way to trade names.

Also I would argue that the 90 day closing period can even make user funds less secure in some situtations. For example if I lose my phone containing the blockchain username private key then I would like to quickly transfer the blockchain username without a thief being able to extort me for money afterwards.
The blockchain username keys are not intended to be used for anything payment-related (for privacy reasons), so the loss of an account does not necessarily equal the loss of wallet funds.

Please elaborate. How would selling/buying a username compromise privacy?
Not sure if this is what the original comment was getting at, but Dash usernames will be used in conjunction with apps in Evolution and will "own" the users data so transferring an account to someone else would transfer ownership of that data as well.

Back