• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Thoughts on the D3 price reduction

clhannah

I was lucky enough to get 2 D3's on the sept 15th shipment. I was very surprised to see the price drop, considering the batches are selling out in hours, if not minutes. I hope to make enough in the first month that I don't mind I paid more *grin*.

I have seen speculation on the *why* of the price drop, and I am considering it can be as simple as chip yield. Either the yield is far greater than they were hoping, or the bin-outs (speed per chip) was much higher, so they can use fewer chips per blade. This would allow them to drop the price dramatically and make their competition crazy, while retaining projected margins. Fun times were had by all.

Does anyone think they produced 32 million chips in the first batch? There must be 64 chips per D3 at least, if not more. 50k units seems absurd to me.

I was lucky enough to get 2 D3's on the sept 15th shipment. I was very surprised to see the price drop, considering the batches are selling out in hours, if not minutes. I hope to make enough in the first month that I don't mind I paid more *grin*.

I have seen speculation on the *why* of the price drop, and I am considering it can be as simple as chip yield. Either the yield is far greater than they were hoping, or the bin-outs (speed per chip) was much higher, so they can use fewer chips per blade. This would allow them to drop the price dramatically and make their competition crazy, while retaining projected margins. Fun times were had by all.

Does anyone think they produced 32 million chips in the first batch? There must be 64 chips per D3 at least, if not more. 50k units seems absurd to me.

They reduced the l3+ from 1700~ to 1300~ temporarily months ago, then put them back up. Ltc increased in price though which is possibly why they increased the price. I think they assume by november baikal or pinidea may bring out a new miner so by reducing their price their guarantee ing themselves that people will only buy their miners as no other miner could compete with that price, also they would be factoring in the difficulty increase of november. Theyd rather their machines always make ROI and screw the others lol

I was lucky enough to get 2 D3's on the sept 15th shipment. I was very surprised to see the price drop, considering the batches are selling out in hours, if not minutes. I hope to make enough in the first month that I don't mind I paid more *grin*

Are you referring to the price drop based on the algorithm difficulty increase or..? How much were you expecting based on yield calculations and how much will you actually make?

Are you referring to the price drop based on the algorithm difficulty increase or..? How much were you expecting based on yield calculations and how much will you actually make?

no, the manufacturer dropped the price substantially between the sept and oct batches. As far as my calculations -- they are absurd lol. I figured I will have two tenths of a percent of the total hash power available. looking at the coins mined per day, I will break even in 6 weeks *if* the hash power remains static and the value of the coin holds. By plowing my returns into hardware and power and cooling, I can stay competitive until the hash power is about eight times what it is now -- which I doubt will happen in six months.

I think the more important thing to worry about is not the price reduction of a hardware which we can't take action.
It's important to know the facts about ROI, so you have brought the Antminer D3 on first batch so you will get it in to your hands 2 months before the people who ordered on second batch.

So, how much Dash you make in 2 months is to be compared to how much Dash you can earn after second batch joins you to mine in a pool?

At this time while i am writing this post, 1 Antminer D3 can mine approximately 18 Dash per month.
source : - crypto compare . com

we should calculate how much Dash can be mined when the 1st batch of Antminer D3 joins the mining pools, and
How much Dash can be mined after 2nd batch of Antminer D3 joins the pools ans so on..

it's obvious the difficulty will increase slowly and at what rate is something we can only calculate when the time comes.

finally imo there is no point in discussing about price of a hardware when it has a time frame difference like 1 or 2 months to join mining pools.

Originally I was pretty upset and butt hurt over the price differences, but after reading your theory on how the chips may be more efficient than predicted, needless to say I am intrigued. We as miners should also take into account the results of the press coverage we will be receiving from the London conference. Typically in my experience attending conferences there is usually a spike in price when they make announcements. I am in about the same boat as you waiting for the Hardware.

Back